Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When do bassets stop growing, more or less?

i thought it might be more like at the 2 yr mark, but the vet today said dogs can be full-grown even at 8-9 months....?? i m clearly uneducated on this topic..

i'm asking because i thought Worm would get a lot bigger. hmmm. vet's response is casting some doubt.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
It all depends on the lines they are out of ,well not all, but mostly.Bassets are not usually fully mature till about two.They may slow growth about 1 to 1 and1/2 years old but they fill out more after that. The dog used as my avatar was 17 months old in that photo and about 55to 60 lbs.If you go to my photo gallery you will see the same dog at age two at 70lbs in another photo. You can see the difference.

·
Registered
616 Posts
We thought Rosco would be big as his father was 65+ lbs. It turns out he's only around 40-45lbs. His growth slowed after about a year and a half. His weight since then has been pretty stationary. I think bubbad is right it depends on the lineage of the dog

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have not had mine as puppies but got 2 of them at a year old and one at 6 months.
They have all gained a lot of weight since I got them but not really grown as such.
They have all filled out body wise in the past years,
When Dudley was 1 he weighed 44lbs and is now 66lbs and is nearly 4 years old.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I've had them continue to fill out as late as 4-5 years.

·
Registered
12,943 Posts
the question is predicated on the meaninging of growth. For some it is when they reach ultimate height that is the bones stop growing. For the average dog that is 12-16 months when all the growth plates close but the most rapid growth is in the first six months after that growth is much slower. Keeping in mind the larger the breed the longer it takes to reach final height.

The other filling out etc is when the dog reachs optimal/maximium muscle mass this can be a lot longer. So the dog at full height can continue to put on weight that is not simply fat for quite some time. This is even more so if you follow the recommen feeding guidlines for larger breeds which is to maintain then on the thin side until the growth plates close.

EPIPHYSEAL PLATE CLOSURE IN DOGS
keeping in mind grow plate close sooner is smaller breeds and remain open longer in larger breeds.

The Growth of Giant and Large Breed Puppies

IMHO when using the growth charts and info in the article I think the baseet matches up best with the standard poople and boxer two of the smaller large breeds

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks for asking this Worm! I was wondering the same thing myself. Seems like Fergus isn't getting any bigger, but he does seem to keep filling out.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Gracie has gotten a little heavier but, mostly I've noticed how loooooooooong she is getting. Like crazy loooooong. At least she will look cute in the hotdog costume come halloween. lol.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Maddie developed a growth disorder where the growth plates would become inflamed when they converted from cartilage to bone. It caused excruciating pain, and we had to give her medication for that until she was about 2 years old, when she stopped growing. I am happy to say she's had no long-term effects, and has no more pain or problems.

Her weight leveled out at 50 pounds, and at 5 years now she hasn't gained weight, but her body disposition has changed. She now has a much deeper chest and a more matronly butt, lol! but she's not overweight at all.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Dudley's photos mirror Lightning's life. He was skinny skinny skinny as a puppy, until he was about 18 months old. Then he started filling out. Not long after that I had to start monitoring his food intake. It's hard to believe the 8-month-old Lightning and the 5-year-old Lightning were the same dog. Don't worry, Wormie will eventually fill out.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dudley's photos mirror Lightning's life. He was skinny skinny skinny as a puppy, until he was about 18 months old. Then he started filling out. Not long after that I had to start monitoring his food intake. It's hard to believe the 8-month-old Lightning and the 5-year-old Lightning were the same dog. Don't worry, Wormie will eventually fill out.
Thanks Mr. Lightning-- I am looking forward to it!!
--Worm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts