Basset Hounds Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
I would love to hear Ruby's Moo! Janice, do you think you could take a video and post it of her doing that? :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Turbo started to Howl at about 4 months maybe 5, but we really encouraged it, we would howl at her for hours till she could mimic us, now i wish I hadn't done that. She has howled so bad she got us kicked out of our hotel, and our neighbors can hear her, but luckily they don't mind, she really only does it when she is playing or when she is really worked up. SO it is so awesome when they start doing it, and I still get a chuckle at the "O" her mouth forms, but I tell you once they start they don't stop.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Getting my hound to howl was easy. Just left him home alone and listened outside the window. Then he had this really deep and looong howls. Then "the all-the-living-creature-on-earth-is-gone-and-all-of-space-is-an-empty-black-void-and-I-feel-so-alooooooooooooooone howl" would appear.
This only lastet for some days luckily.

Oh, and Mr.Runcible tends to howl when he sleeps, then it can be all from sad to happy howling.
So the only times I get to hear him howl are when he's sleeping, otherwise he's just quiet. That goes for both howling and barking

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my female purebred:rolleyes::rolleyes: basset (Luna) since she was 11 weeks old. She is 14 months now & has still never howled. When she gets playing & acting wild she has an arooof sound in her bark but thats the extent of it. I've tried making howling noises but it doesn't work. Maybe she'll never howl....who knows.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Molly has only howled once that I have heard, but she's just over 4 months old. She was sound asleep on the sofa one evening and must have been having a heck of a dream. She let out this AROOOOO and my husband and I looked at each other, shocked, then busted out laughing.

The other day, my neighbor on the other half of our twin said he heard Molly howling while we were out. She loves this neighbor and heard him go outside and started howling because she wanted to go out and say hi. So her howl is there...somewhere. I had given up, thinking I had a howl-less basset.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is all really interesting. Great topic. Fergus has yet to howl, but I figured maybe he just wouldn't. Now, I'm guessing he just isn't old enough and has not figured it out yet.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Boomer is almost 7 months old, and the only time he has howled is if we start it, and then it's only for a few seconds. He has never howled on his own (that we have heard, anyway).

The first time we were in the pickup and he was all whiny, like a typical little kid: "Are we there yet?" "I'm hungry" "I have to potty". So hubby and I started howling and then Boomer howled and hubby about drove off the road we were laughing so hard.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
My thoughts exactly, Peter. Molly almost howled at the cat today...the cat won't play with Molly, so she barks at the poor thing. As much as I want to hear it, I don't want her to be an overly noisy dog. Sigh...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Charlotte has only howled once in her 9months. She was asleep on the couch and I had the Sherlock Holmes movie with Robert Downy Jr on and it came to a part of the movie where all is silent except the violin soundtrack and she sat straight up and howled then plopped down and slept again. Never heard her do it again for all the basset howling videos i've played and as many times I've howled at her myself.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mine never really howled either...but after reading this I went to youtube and played some "bassets howling/singing" movies...and we got them to howl in about 5 minutes. LOL they were running around the house like crazy trying to figure out where the other dogs were.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have never heard Nitro howl. I have been told that when I leave the house he sits by the door and after about 5 minutes will whine, bark and howl for another 10 before he decides to calm down.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Beau only howls if he's in a group. When it's just my dogs, even when they're playing like crazy, he doesn't howl. But, bring the neighbor dogs over for a romp (they all get along great) and he howls while racing after the long-legged Labrador that he could never catch in a million years.

He's starting to react when GingerSnap (my Dachshund) "talks" to me. She warbles and ruffs and makes all sorts of weird noises, and while Beau doesn't answer, he's definitely paying attention to whatever she's saying.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dog is 2 yrs and he has only howled when we were gone and it sounds sad. I don't know why he doesn't we put on video of basset hounds howling but it never works. Well he does bark a lot.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts