Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering. Coltrane figured out how to bark a couple weeks ago (8 weeks i think). He likes to bark, but i still haven't heard him howl. He's 10 weeks old now and still no howling. I am sure my neighbors are happy, but i wanna hear my hound howl. i need to get more pictures of him up here. He gets bigger every day I think.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Francis never howled the first year of his life. Then one day, when we were in the woods, he caught scent of a pair of deer and what a caterwaul!! His AROOOOS could be heard miles away. He aroo'd the whole time he was trying to track the deer, who were, of course, long gone.
He rarely howls but when he does the whole neighborhood knows.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Luther is still startled whenever he howls. He looks around as if to say "did you hear that"?! Sammy is too much of a lady to howl and instead just barks her fool head off. Much more dignified you know. ;)

·
Registered
284 Posts
i dont think you're little one will be doing it for some time yet. he'll still be learning so much more and barking and howling wont really begin until about 6/7/8 months old and even then its not the real bark/howl that they can eventually do!

at 15 months my basset howls at the thought of seeing a cat over the fence. i tell her one is there and she howls for England and wont shut up until you call her into the house for a piece of cheese!

trust me once they start sometimes you'll wish it would stop!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Edith Ann bays -- it's her way of talking. I brought her home when she was a year old, but it took her awhile to find her voice. Charlie barks, loud 'boofs', but he does bay occasionally -- in his sleep. The first time he did this I nearly fell out of my chair because we were alone in the house about 9:30 at night, it was very quiet, and all of a sudden from the chair next to me came this, "Arooooooooooooo". He did this three times, long and loud, then shook his head, smacked his lips, and looked at me as if to say, "Where'd that come from :rolleyes: ?"

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Coltrane barks when he is playing with the cats and when he is trying to get me to play with him. He's got a nice sounding bark for a 10 week old puppy. The first time he barked he looked around as though he didn't know where it came from too. Now he knows it's him and he is proud of it. This morning he made one of squeaky toys squeak on his own for the first time and was very proud.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We 'taught' Toby to howl. We just started howling and before long he joined in. Now we have 'singing' sessions regularly and we all enjoy it thoroughly. Toby especially loves to sing along with Happy Birthday and he is always a hit with that one. He once clambered up onto the bandstand in a local park, found the clarinet player and proceeded to sing along!!! Fortunately, except for nearby clarinets, he only sings when we ask him to :)

Happy arooooing :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Alice never barked or howled or anything until she was about three months old. She chased a ball under a bookshelf and got stuck when she tried to go after it. She let out a long "Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrf" that sounded like a basset howl up a couple of octaves. It wasn't long before her voice changed and she was singing along with my sister's clarinet and my trumpet. She eventually got used to the trumpet, but the mere sight of the clarinet made her nuts.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Bubba was about a year and a half when he started howling. Did not do it frequently, but he wasn't much of a barker either. Bogie is 1 and 1/2, and we still haven't heard his Arooooo yet. I love it when they do it. Be sure to watch their mouth, it makes a perfect "O" when they Aroooo.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I play guitar and the other day, he started barking and wagging his tail at me while i was playing the acoustic. So maybe I'll play some acoustic and make some noises at him to teach him how to sing with me. Then we'll work on harmonies. Ha ha.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Well, you can always teach your dog to howl.

I made the howling noise and said, "Ruby, sing!" and then I howled. She did it immediately and got a treat. I know she was a puppy when **I** learned to howl. :p

We used to tell Bud, my childhood basset to sing and his voice was real low......

Ruby's howl is hilarious as it can start either low or high but will end up sounding like a sick seal.

Her "moo" is completely different than her howling.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
I was just wondering. Coltrane figured out how to bark a couple weeks ago (8 weeks i think). He likes to bark, but i still haven't heard him howl. [/b]
Some never howl none of the four girls I've had have howled. Toughy well tried to howl but he sounded more like a rooster arrroooooerterer. My harrier is a howler funny thing is he is not a barker he howls whines, crys and moans but hardly ever barks. The girls however out bark beagles!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was just wondering. Coltrane figured out how to bark a couple weeks ago (8 weeks i think). He likes to bark, but i still haven't heard him howl. He's 10 weeks old now and still no howling. I am sure my neighbors are happy, but i wanna hear my hound howl. i need to get more pictures of him up here. He gets bigger every day I think.
[/b]
I think they are born knowing how to howl, you just have to coax it out of them. :D Sometimes, when the mood is right, when everyone is playing and we have the basset 500 going in the house, I will start howling myself.
Everyone stops running. Soon, one will join in, then the other, then the other until we have a chorus going.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Moe was over two years old when he howled for the first time. It's still a rare occurence at eight years old. What I find absolutely hilarious is that he taught Tally to howl (our Dachshund). She howls whenever he does... and she has the cutest VERY high-pitched voice! :D

Moe's howls are rare but one of my friend's bassets, Zelda, does nothing but howl. It's how she talks. :) Her other two howl much more than Moe but not nearly as much as little Zelda. They are barkers more than howlers. I can usually hear them through the woods when they really get going - barking and howling at squirrels and the UPS man :rolleyes: (they live not far from us). Thank goodness we live in a dog-loving neighborhood. Just about everyone has at least one dog. :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hub has only howled in his sleep.

True story.

He's now 7 ish....was 5 ish when we rescued him two years ago.

Ohdee...also 7ish...also a rescue. We have never heard her howl, conscious or unconscious. We've had her for a year now.

I'm not sure I want to encourage them. They get in enough trouble as it is.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Dudley has never howled, not one single time.

With Minnie, I have to do the same as Rubydoo. If I howl, she will too. Minnie has howled a couple times outdoors when there was a big party at the community pool (close to us) with loud music. Why? Beats me!

Both of them have no problem barking their fool head off, so no howling is probably a good thing here.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Neither of my two Bassets howl very much. My girl-Lily only howls after almost 5 minutes of me howling (by that time my jaw hurts terribly) and at that she doesn't always do it. On Christmas though I had the dogs at my parents house and my mom's friend had her two dogs there (a male Basset and a dauschand-I don't know how to spell that funny word) and we got all of them howling. My boy-Gibbs only howls when he sees an animal he really wants to get after. During the above mentioned howling event he just ran off scared. I too really wish my dogs would howl. A neighbor of mine said that I've got the quietest Bassets she's ever met (a former Basset owner herself). Like someone earlier said Bassets are made to howl, they've just gotta find their voice. B)

·
Registered
775 Posts
My Maggie Mae (ATB) loved the sound of her voice. She howled for attention. She would throw her head back and go at it. She could howl for hours if she wanted to!!! Be careful what you wish for!! Rusty & Stickers have never howled. They only bark when the doorbell rings. I hope I can hear them howl at least once!! I guess it depends on the hound????

1 - 20 of 33 Posts