Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haha. So just another question for you all. Around what age did your puppy basset start to have a lazier energy level? I know not all bassets are super lazy.. but most seem to acquire that trait:) Charlie is definitely not as rambunctious as she used to be. Still has her spurts.. but definitely does a lot of sleeping in one spot, getting up, finding another comfy spot, etc. Just curious:)

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
but most seem to acquire that trait
I think it is more myth than reality. I also believe it is more a learned trait rather than a preferred state of being. That is most breeds of dog that is not allowed the natural excersize will general go stir crazy and act out with high fits of energy. Some bassets do this ie. the basset 500 however bassets also tend to react to stress negatively. Negatively does not mean badly in this case, but the oppisite of positively, adding something. That is under stress basset shut down and do nothing.

As for My last three. Toughy at 11 grew more active an puppy like each year older. as a puppy he was what people called the most mellow puppy ever which I would refute with "he not mellow just paralyzed by stress"

Mariah at 9 would put most puppies to same with her activity level.

Macey will adjust quite readily to your activity level. She is quite content to snuggle on the coach for 8 hours as to go out in the wood and chase bunnies for the same length of time.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Boomer is now 4 months old, and very energetic. He behaves much better in the house if he gets regular outside exercise. When the weather was too hot and humid for decent walks, he acted like a crazy dog inside. This morning was nice and cool, so I took him for a good walk, and he is now sleeping and will be better behaved the rest of the day until his evening walk.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Good question!

Ours, Cannoli, is 8 months old and our motto has become "A tired Basset is a well behaved Basset". If we get busy or the weather is bad and she doesn't get plently of outside time we definitely have a rambunctious dog on our hands.

Our house is long, and it's a straight shot from the back door to the front door. She'll run full tilt from the back of the house to the front, skid on the wood floors, throw herself into a big chair at the end of her skid and be baying at the top of her lungs the whole time. Then back the other way. The whole show is just so funny we can't intercept her for laughing so hard. If she keeps at it for a few circuits our other dogs get in the act and start chasing her. It's a circus!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts