Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering when people noticed their puppies reaching about their adult weight. Charlie is definitely slowing down with her growth. She is 7 months old. I know they grow until they are about a year.. but it seems as though they kind of hit a point before then where they are about at their max. Just wondering!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Mine tend to reach their height at 8-10 months, but they keep filling out until 3-5 years of age.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Mine tend to reach their height at 8-10 months, but they keep filling out until 3-5 years of age.
Ditto.:) At one year Moe looked like a long-eared slinky beagle toy. He weighted about 50 lbs. He was way too busy to be eating much. From three to five years Moe had filled out to a very portly 85 lbs.:eek: (These were his "I'll eat anything I can beg, borrow, or steal" years... and he was VERY good at the stealing part.) By seven years he had slimmed back down to a healthy 72 lbs. This was when sleeping became more important than eating... or at least AS important. At almost twelve years old he is now a scrawny 64 lbs. He sleeps about twenty-three hours a day now and needs coaxing just to get off his bed. :(

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see I see! When we got my previous basset, Maggie May, she was about 38 pounds. She was about a year and a half. She pretty much stayed that weight her whole life. Then, at about 14 years of age, she just stopped eating and the weight came off quickly:( She went down to about 28 pounds before she was put down. She was just suffering.. it is too bad to see them go like that. But I also didn't like to see her suffer. I am sorry for your 12 year old. I am sure he has lived a good life thus far

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
It's amazing how their eating habits change over the years. I used to have to beg Lightning to eat. He was so skinny. Then, when he was about 18 months old, I got Stomps, and suddenly Lightning couldn't wolf his food down fast enough. I had to beg him not to eat. Like the others mentioned above, he probably was about three or four before he filled out. He's 12 now, but still quite active. His perfect weight is 60-64 lbs, and I'm very strict about not letting him go over that, especially now that he's older.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Adult weight or mature weight? The lines I have are slow to mature so their weight as a young adult is different from when they mature. Esa is about 64lbs she is 3 and mature ,at a year of age she was about 55 lbs,now on the other hand,my Bubba was maybe 58 at a year but when he turned 3 and was fully mature he was 70lbs but not fat just filled out. You can see the difference in the photo gallery the photo I use as the Avitar was taken when he was 17 months old and the other show photo he was almost 3. Big difference. Most times this doesn't have to do with how they eat but how they mature,the genitics.:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Weeks Pounds
9.5 6.3
11.5 7.3
12.5 8.1
13.5 8.9
14.5 10.4
18.5 13.7
19.5 15.2
20.5 16.3
23 19
26.5 21.5
6.5 Months 22.8
7ish Months 24.9

I kept a chart of Charlie's weight growth just to have. So, Josie's Dad, Charlie has also been in that 20-25 pound range for the past 2 1/2 months. When I look at growth charts (I know they aren't entirely accurate and so many factors can affect it), Charlie has about lined up with the growth curve of a 30-32 pound dog. I know her and Josie are obviously tiny for bassets (most think she is a lot younger than she is because of her size). Who knows though! Maybe she will have a random growth spurt and get up to 40 or so!

Thanks for sharing everybody! I actually have a related question, but I will just make another post.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think my Squishy is going to be a beast! At least compared to your girl. :)
Squishy weighed 16 lbs when we got her at 10 weeks. Now at 17 weeks, she weighs 30 lbs. AND she was the "runt" of the litter. But she's got a "waist-line" and I can feel her ribs, so I'm not worried about her being overweight.
I guess she's just a big/DENSE girl

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awww I just lookd up pics of Squishy. She is very very cute. Some bassets are really just bigger! I think the avg. for females is 40-50. So Charlie is def just smaller. How is Squishy doing? I just love her color! :) And her face is very very very cute.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
My Boomer is 15 weeks old and 20 lbs. His momma was a small basset, his dad wasn't huge, either, but he was only around a year old.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts