Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously, going from 1 Basset to 2 Bassets is a big change, but it's probably not as big a change as moving from 0 Bassets to 1 Basset.

But since I only have 2 Bassets, I was curious what it's like to go from 2 Bassets to 3. Are there any confounding effects of having 3 that make it more trouble than the sum of it's parts?

Or is it less troublesome than you would've expected?

I'm probably not going to get a third basset anytime soon, but I often find myself day-dreaming about it and so I just wondered what people's experiences have been. Thanks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have two. Having two is almost easier than one, since they lay together and play together... But when 99's son Rico comes to visit it's tough..

But then Rico is a little troublemaker! In a mischievous, bassety kind of way.

·
Registered
48 Posts
more fun :p more poop :angry: more kisses :p more fur all over <_< more tails waging ;)
and we love it, 2 males and 1 girlle Ryobi,Atticus,and Emily

·
Registered
465 Posts
Wouldn't 4 be better? :p

Seriously, speaking as someone who has two bassets and a boxer (???????!!!!!!??????? :blink: ) I think it would be easier IF you are going to have three dogs to have them all bassets.

They do tend to pair up and one is always going to be "odd man out" so that's why I made the crack about having four!

Button and Elmer love to be together in their crate. And everywhere else.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I have three bassets 1 male and 2 female sisters. My girls team up and play together but Copper is such a mama's boy he doesn,t mind. Sometimes him and Patty pair up{she is a tomboy} and it always seems to work out fine. I can't say how it is to have two I went from 1 to 3 and that is a big step. Overall it is wonderful and would love to have another :D :D Hubby is not so convinced

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
My friend has three two year old Bassets (two are several months older than the third one but all are presently two years old). There are occasional fights (the older two both want to be alpha :rolleyes: ) and all three need to be fed in separate rooms, but aside from that, they pretty much get along. Vet visits are a project, and costly, but you don't have to schedule vet appointments all at the same time - my friend just likes to get it over with. Another issue would be walking them... you only have two hands. Ditto for belly-rubs. :)

I pet sit for them sometimes. There is nothing quite like sitting on a couch and being surrounded by (or buried under) three soft, warm, wrinkley, loveable hounds and getting kisses from one or more of them when you are least expecting it. :)

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Obviously, going from 1 Basset to 2 Bassets is a big change, but it's probably not as big a change as moving from 0 Bassets to 1 Basset.

But since I only have 2 Bassets, I was curious what it's like to go from 2 Bassets to 3. Are there any confounding effects of having 3 that make it more trouble than the sum of it's parts?

[/b]
imho going from 2 to 3 is as profond a change from 0-1 2 is a pair but three is a pack and the group dynamic changes profoundly with that. Does matter if they are the same breed or not. it takes 3 dogs to form a pack.

·
Registered
331 Posts
We went from one, to two a year later, and three another year later...

All I can say is that it's three times the fun, three times the hugs, three times the love you give and receive.

However, be very careful when adding a dog not to interrupt the pack order drastically. The newcomer should be the lowest in the pack (I know, it's cruel, but that's how dogs work), and it's the newcomer that has to adapt to the habits of the pack, and not the other way round.

We made the mistake with Bianca (some will remember the discussions posted on the board) and almost had to give Bianca (the last one to be added) up for adoption.
Took us about 6 months to reestablish a decent order where everyone is happy with.

Patrick

·
Registered
289 Posts
Going from 120lb to almost 200lb of dog in the house seems like a big deal to me. But what do I know.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I can't add much to this thread, other than to agree that 2 are easier than 1 in many ways.
I also daydream of 3, but it really isn't practical for us.

Sorry, the rest of this is Off-Topic.
I want to say Thanks! to Touchstone Farm, who posted earlier in this thread. I followed the link in your sig line to your pictures pages.
There are many galleries of farm pictures, mostly beautiful horses.
ALSO, there are 2 galleries of Basset photos, and one of the galleries is mostly Basset Puppies!

Either click the link in Touchstone's sig, or you can go thru this one:

Touchstonefarmpics

The Basset galleries are simple to find from there, I encourage anyone here on the board to check them out. I really liked all the photos there!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I agree!! The Touchstone Farm link is awesome. Beautiful horses and the Basset puppies are adorable. Well worth the time to take a look at some wonderful pictures.

We are one Basset owners for now, and have often thought about two. After Bogie's two very expensive surgeries for his rock eating, not sure we could afford two, if the next one was like Bogie. He's a real sweetheart, who we adore, and worth every penny, but he has become worth lots of $$$$ at this point in his six months with us. Hopefully all that is behind us and only normal vet visits from now on.

Before Bassets we had a coc-a-poo and a lab, a wonderful duck and goose hunter partner for my husband. Funny combo, but that two-some worked. They were best buddies, and great with the kids as they grew up. We lost the lab to cancer at 9, and the coc-a-poo lived to 15. Wonderful dogs and lots of wonderful memories of both of them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts