Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Molly is going to the vet on Thursday to get fixed and I'm very worried about it. The vet requires them to stay overnight after the surgery, but everyone leaves at 6pm. So the dogs are ALONE all night long (they are in crates). I'm really uncomfortable with this, so I spoke to the Vet Tech and she said we could take Molly home, but we'd have to sign a release form.

WHat do you think we should do?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I would personally take her home. If they are not going ot be there after 6:00, what help would it be if something goes wrong. Who would be there to hear or see? At least at home, if something goes wrong and she is crying or in pain, you can call the dr. to meet you at the clinic (if they do this).

But again, this is MY opinion. You should do what YOU feel comfortable with.

It would probably be different if someone did go check on them during the night.

O

·
0 Posts
I agree with Lisa. Spaying is way more involved than neutering and I feel requires more attention post-op. Wouldn't it be better for the dog to be monitored in her own environment with all the comforts of home? And to have someone there during the night in case there is a problem? What is their reasoning for wanting to keep her overnight? I don't see how it could be any better for her. It must be an insurance liability thing that they are responsible for the post-op care up to a certain time after surgery. I say...TAKE HER HOME!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,035 Posts
I would sign the release form, but I would still keep her crated to keep her quiet.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I'm sure the vet will go over this with you, but when you take her home she will probably not be fully recovered from the anesthesia so you will need to confine her so she doesn't hurt herself- if she tries to go up or down stairs, or jump up on something she could injure herself. I think that's one of the reasons they like to keep them overnight: when they are confined at the clinic they tend to just curl up and sleep, there's nothing there to trigger a desire to run around. That being said, I've always brought my animals home as soon as possible and just made special provisions for them.(I've even camped out on a blanket on the floor next to them!) Good luck! I know she'll come through with flying colors!

[ February 21, 2006, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: murraysmom ]

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sorry for back to back posts. I would also see about getting a microchip for her. I wish I would have done this with Emma but didn't find out about it until afterwards.

Don't worry, she will do fine!

You I don't know about. ;) BTW. I was a wreck with Emma. She is more of a baby then either of my children were.

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
Having the dogs stay overnight is very old school. It is very common to send the dogs home as soon as they recover from the anesthetic.

1 note you will want to skip the evening meal with the dog also but allow access to water.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I, too, would sign the release and bring her home as soon after the surgery as possible. You are probably the best person to be with her and keep an eye on her as she is recovering.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Please see my post in your other topic. I am sorry but I am biased since I work at a clinic and see what happens when people do take their spays home at night. I don't believe it is old school. I don't know of one clinic in my city that would think that either. There is a good reason why we recommened they stay at the clinic. The vet wouldn't recommend it if he/she didn't think it was for a good reason. We also do a check in the morning of the incison, tempereature, heart and lung sounds etc. A high temp the next day is a first sign of infection that may not be caught at home. Please be sure you understand all the reasons why you would bring her home and why the vet recommends her to stay before you make a decision. 9 times out of 10 there are no issues but you never know.
I just want you to know all sides. I apologize if I come across strong.

·
Registered
987 Posts
None of my dogs stayed overnight after their spay. If she has to go someone why can't she go home with you and you have a number to call in case of emergency?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
When Moe was nuetered, we brought him home as soon as he recovered from the anethesia. Ditto after stitches (with anethesia) and two surgeries to remove cysts. I'm sure he had a lot more post-op care and pampering from me than any vet tech could ever give. :D

If Soundtrack says bring her home, I'd be comfortable following her advice. There are many years of experience with a lot of Bassets behind her. :D

Terry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts