Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new here and trying to get to know you. I'm wondering what type of events some of you may (or may not) participate in. I can see there's at least one Agility person here which is always exciting. I love to watch bassets do agility and am hoping to get there myself some day when we get a chance.

For us we compete in conformation as I mentioned our girl is a show girl and she loves strutting her stuff in the ring, so we show in AKC and UKC. Roxie is also a therapy dog so we do her therapy visits at the nursing home which she adores since all the attention is on doting on her. She feels any activity which makes her the center of attention is always a good thing (hence her love of the show ring and therapy work). We also just finished our first round of Rally classes and are hoping to get a few rally titles (after a few more rounds of classes of course).

I'm also hoping to try tracking, field trials or hunt test with Roxie as I'd really like to be one of the first of my breeders dogs to get a Versatility Certificate. Her littermate sister just earned her Tracking Dog title this past weekend and we are so happy for them.

So what does anyone else do with their dogs?

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
I can see there's at least one Agility person here
more than that. but you will find most are more likely to hang out at the Performance venue

FWIW there are a couple Yahoo groups you might be interested in

Bassetagility
Basset Agility is not an oxymoron! The Basset Hound Club of America's first agility trial, in September 2000, drew more than 50 entries and in June 2002 an agile basset graced the cover of Clean Run magazine.

If you are training for or competing in agility trials with your basset hound, please join this group and share your training tips, questions, and brags.

To subscribe click on "Join This Group!" above or send an e-mail message to the address listed below.

BassetHoundObedience
Basset Hounds pose some unique challenges for their trainers who want to show them in the obedience ring. This Group provides a forum for those people. It is a place to share training tips and brags, as well as a place to seek advise and help with training problems. Or maybe you just need a shoulder to cry on.

What this list is NOT: this is NOT a list for discussion of basic pet training. Please DO NOT ask the group about house breaking, leash training, chewing, digging, or other behavioral problems that are unrelated to competition obedience.
Basset tracking and Rally Obedience posts/questions/brags are also welcome here.

BassetRally
This group is for the discussion of Rally and basset hounds who participate in the Sport or want to participate

AHBA - American Hunting Basset Association.
Runs field trials that test a bassets hunting ability, rather than tracking ability a la AKC field trials.

FWIW Olde Fashion is most likely the kennel with the most agility bassets currently

I'd really like to be one of the first of my breeders dogs to get a Versatility Certificate
Keep in mind BHCA only recongnizes their own hunt tests and AKC titles in so limiting yourself you may eliminate other venues in a chosen sport that would be more appealing and appropriate for you and your dog.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'm into the showing. The girl I have now is "South Dixie's Witchy Woman" aka "Esa". My situation is that my Van left this world two years ago and I have not been able to get another vehicle which makes getting to shows darn near impossible.:mad: She is pointed, but no majors yet,only because we are on hold till I can get a vehicle. I would like to get to the Nationals this year but I'm not holding my breath. So anyway,glad to have you here.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more than that. but you will find most are more likely to hang out at the Performance venue

FWIW there are a couple Yahoo groups you might be interested in

Bassetagility
Basset Agility is not an oxymoron! The Basset Hound Club of America's first agility trial, in September 2000, drew more than 50 entries and in June 2002 an agile basset graced the cover of Clean Run magazine.

If you are training for or competing in agility trials with your basset hound, please join this group and share your training tips, questions, and brags.

To subscribe click on "Join This Group!" above or send an e-mail message to the address listed below.

BassetHoundObedience
Basset Hounds pose some unique challenges for their trainers who want to show them in the obedience ring. This Group provides a forum for those people. It is a place to share training tips and brags, as well as a place to seek advise and help with training problems. Or maybe you just need a shoulder to cry on.

What this list is NOT: this is NOT a list for discussion of basic pet training. Please DO NOT ask the group about house breaking, leash training, chewing, digging, or other behavioral problems that are unrelated to competition obedience.
Basset tracking and Rally Obedience posts/questions/brags are also welcome here.

BassetRally
This group is for the discussion of Rally and basset hounds who participate in the Sport or want to participate

AHBA - American Hunting Basset Association.
Runs field trials that test a bassets hunting ability, rather than tracking ability a la AKC field trials.

FWIW Olde Fashion is most likely the kennel with the most agility bassets currently

Keep in mind BHCA only recongnizes their own hunt tests and AKC titles in so limiting yourself you may eliminate other venues in a chosen sport that would be more appealing and appropriate for you and your dog.
Oh believe me I'm not limiting myself to AKC events only. As I said we already compete in UKC for conformation so I know all about other venues and with Agility and Obedience/Rally there are lots of them. I just figured it was a way to start.

Yes I know Cheryl and Janis both do well in Agility, they are definately inspirational. Watching Janis in the Rally ring with Mona is a sight to behold... the focus that dog has on Janis is truly incredible. Cheryl and Flirt are another incredible team... Flirt is actually my girl's 1/2 sister so I'm hoping that a bit of agility talent runs in the family. I've already talked to Cheryl about taking one of her classes.

Right now we're just on hiatus after this past week in the show ring since my girl is to bred this next week so hopefully she'll be back in some sort of shape to try for a Rally title by Nationals in our hometown. Was also hoping to show one of her puppies there as well but as the breeding didn't take on the first try last November that's not a possibilty.

I'll have to check those other groups out... thanks for that. I've been looking for other venues to ask questions especially about the rally stuff but hadn't really found any. Just came across this forum the other day by accident.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm into the showing. The girl I have now is "South Dixie's Witchy Woman" aka "Esa". My situation is that my Van left this world two years ago and I have not been able to get another vehicle which makes getting to shows darn near impossible.:mad: She is pointed, but no majors yet,only because we are on hold till I can get a vehicle. I would like to get to the Nationals this year but I'm not holding my breath. So anyway,glad to have you here.
I think I remember talking to you years ago from the Daily drool when I used to subscribe. Now it's just WAY too big for me to keep track of there. I don't have a show van... just a regular car and Roxie travels with me in there. Wish I could afford a nice small SUV so we have more room for her and one or two of her puppies when the time comes so we can show them too. Please try and get to Nationals... it's going to be an awesome time... we have so many things planned. I'm our raffle chairman and am going nuts trying to get enough things to put them all together. But when it's all said and done it's going to be a great time.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep I did just check the events. Unfortunately they are all about 4-5 hours from our home for the closest ones so I'll have to wait on it till after our breeding and the puppies are weaned. I can't afford to be away from new puppies for that long and I don't trust my husband. I will be checking it out however after we get everyone all settled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts