Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, it's been a long time since I've been on. I was wondering what kinda tricks you have taught your dog's to do. We are up to 13 tricks with Flash and want to teach her more. I would love to know more about what others are able to do. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Jackson rolls over, sits pretty, high fives, shakes a paw, dances, weaves between my legs, hand targets, I'm also always on the hunt for new things to teach him!! But apparently I'm not creative enough....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You seem really creative. How does he dance? Flash sits, lay down, rolls over, spins, shakes, crawls, plays dead, stays, begs, walk between legs, gets 3 different toys when you call them by name, speaks, and we are starting to learn to back up. Her daddy knew dozens a tricks. It's hard to believe how smart these dogs are. Flash also is a avid rabbit Hunter.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The dance is kind of a stand up turn around flip thing.... it's a little difficult to describe, I can't really take credit for it- our old beagle came to us knowing that trick and Jackson saw him doing it and figured it out. We didn't even know that the beagle had that trick until he busted it out for a sugar pea!! Jackson also sits, lays down and stays. How do you teach the crawl??

Jackson is a funny one- he'll track rabbits and other fur game, but his real passion is birds- last summer he would flush about 10-15 pheasants each time we went on a walk!! The real challenge with him is to keep his brain challenged enough!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
For crawl we had Flash lay down and placed a treat right out of her reach. As I said crawl I lightly put pressure on her shoulders and slowly moved the treat away until she had to scoot on her belly to get it. (This took a while to master). It's really cute when they finally get it. I have thought about agility. Flash is really active, but there isn't any agility parks or show around except 4-H. Hopefully (keeping my fingers crossed) my husband 6 year old sister will want to show her in 2 years when she's old enough. :)

·
Registered
762 Posts
PB sits, lies down, stays, & rolls over... sometimes even spontaneously for treats!

I'm most impressed with Gandy... my pretty girl lets stuff hit her in the face. Then she gives you a dirty look like you can't believe. I'm sure she's thinking, , "why the heck are you throwing that right at me?!!"

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
327 Posts
All these talented babies!! Bentley does the usual sit, stay, shake, roll over, and plays dead. He sits up by himself (I posted pic earlier) but will do it on demand. My son (when he was young)taught our Golden Retriever, Tucker, to take dirty clothes to our laundry room. He'll just come walking by with a shirt in his mouth & wait at laundry room door. He opens my husband's closet and drags out clothes that are on the floor!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wish flash could catch treats in her mouth. She always gets overly excited and shuts her mouth too soon. Haha.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Zoey loves to lay in the "frog leg" position as my family calls it. It is the cutest thing to see her lay like that, so my sister tagged the behavior and now it's her "road kill trick" really wish she would have called it something else...

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
PB sits, lies down, stays, & rolls over... sometimes even spontaneously for treats!

I'm most impressed with Gandy... my pretty girl lets stuff hit her in the face. Then she gives you a dirty look like you can't believe. I'm sure she's thinking, , "why the heck are you throwing that right at me?!!"

lol! i did that at first pb. but then i realized what on earth i wuz doing and then i opened my mouff one day, and the treat went in! no turning back after that happens. so pb, ya should just haves your peeples feed you treeeats more often. you'll get it pretty fast i bet. Worm

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Clinton-- nice trick the retriever can do! wow!

me learned to 'take a kleenex,' i pulls them outta the box on command. that's cuz once my person wuz sick in bed all day and i needed some entertainment. plus she didn't really believe i could be 'shaped' using a clicker... well i can it turns out!

my other trick is rinnging da bell to go out for potty:

W ringing bell and mooing - YouTube

·
Registered
267 Posts
Decided to try teaching Jackson to crawl- he's a natural at that one!! He still gets a little confused if I ask him to crawl too far but he seems to get it, and that's after only 1 day!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Bella does all the sit, stay, send away obedience stuff, but her own favourite trick is to pretend she wants to go outside, so she goes to the doors and looks at me, I get up to go open the door, look around and Bella's taken my vacated seat for the warm spot.

And she's a pretty good thief too!! She can steal stuff and I only realise it's missing when I've found it in whatever stash place of the week she has.;)

NB Note to Joey's mum for paw, I always say Paw and use that side hand to pick up the paw, then treat. a couple of goes should do it, then when you've mastered that side try the other side so when you ask for a paw use whichever hand for whichever paw. it sort of develops into this paw, other paw and before you know it he'll be doing a kind of goose step with his paws. Lol If it's something Bella really wants she uses both paws, which is very cute.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lisa (and Joey), how on earth did you train to do mooing for cuddles? I'm so envious. I'm definitely going to try to get Alfred crawling too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts