Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you do when your dog wont eat food that is good for him and wants the bad food. he hardly ever eats in the morn. and sometimes eats dinner just because he is so hungry , but will always eat a treat and had some of his old food left jsut tried that and of course ate that but a no go on his new food. the food he likes is purina beniful and i don't want to feed purina anymore becasue of the bad stuff in the food. Do we just go on like we are or what?

T

·
0 Posts
I don't know, but Twinkie's trick lately is that she will not eat her regular food out of her dish (which she has recently chewed until its almost unusable). I have to put her food in a Kong for her to chase around while it dispenses food. I experimented with not putting the food in the Kong and she went two days without eating. I don't know what's up with her lately. She's eating way less (but she could stand to lose a few lbs.). :roll: Let me know if you figure anything out with your guy.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
335 Posts
Kind of like having kids, but you can't withhold allowance or ground your dog. :D

My dog loves Beneful, too, I keep just a little on hand, for treats, but when you switched food, did you mix some new food in with the Beneful first? Like 3/4 Beneful, 1/4 new food; every few days, you keep increasing the amount of new food until it's 100% new food. Kind of eases the change-over process.

If you tried to switch him cold turkey that might be the problem, sometimes it takes a few weeks. I know if someone tried to suddenly make me eat nothing but Chinese food, for example, I'd have a pretty tough time of it, too! :lol:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes i did switched slowly, he likes the vegtables i put on his food but wont eat his other food unless he is very hungry, silly dogs. (Ryobi on the other hand will eat ANYTHING.)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hmmmm...dogs...go figure...DH recently tried to swtich the dogs cold turkey, they won't touch the stuff he bought. :D I went & got some more Iams and Beneful and they're eating OK now...not quite as much on warm days, but they get their share. :D

·
Registered
662 Posts
When we moved into the new place both Mocha and Beldin wouldn't eat for a couple days... I was a bit worried but the vet said they might just be nervous or stressed and they'd eat again when they were ready ...

Day 4 rolled around and they still hadn't eaten so a shredded up a little bit of cheese (and I mean a LITTLE bit) into their dish and shook it down into their kibble.

Both dogs went crazy over the smell and ate everything in the dish. ... They've been eating their food like usual ever since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts