Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 month old basset girl that has just started having diahrrea and vomiting issues. She usually sleeps throughout the night, but the other night she had the biggest poop of her life in her kennel- typically her poops are solid but this was loose ( no blood). That morning we noticed she had another loose stool (not near as big).
She free roams the backyard (she loves it) and im wondering if she ate something bad or if she got into something. I've stopped giving her treats thinking that may help but she had another big poop tonight.......
any thoughts?! (shes caught up on all vaccines btw0

·
Registered
12,986 Posts
first thing with diarhea is to stop feeding. and any that last 24 hr or more should involve a vet

·
Registered
20 Posts
My basset is the same age and has started mouthing and eating everything in the garden. Clematis roots, salvias, plastic pipe and all things unhealthy. She had a large vomit the other night , but seems to have moved on. Sounds normal, they investigate with their mouths. Plenty of distraction chews , pigs ears, frozen water melon, apple , carrots etc work well.

But a basset has to do what a basset has to do....

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
You do need to have eyes in the back of your head with a puppy - especially a Basset puppy !! Withhold food, and treats for 24 hours, making sure there is water out, and bring her back using boiled rice and poached breast of chicken + a little natural (unflavouired) yogurt (preferably goats yog if you can find it). This should sort out uncomplicated tummy upsets. However, if this continues, you should see youir vet - he'll check her temperature and feel for internal problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My basset is the same age and has started mouthing and eating everything in the garden. Clematis roots, salvias, plastic pipe and all things unhealthy. She had a large vomit the other night , but seems to have moved on. Sounds normal, they investigate with their mouths. Plenty of distraction chews , pigs ears, frozen water melon, apple , carrots etc work well.

But a basset has to do what a basset has to do....

Mine will eat anything she finds! I'm going to try apple slices for treats from now and and see how she does!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Mine will eat anything she finds! I'm going to try apple slices for treats from now and and see how she does!
Be careful not to give her ANY pips (pits). Apple is fine but not the entire apple, as the pip/pits are toxic. We use dried fish cubes (bought) as well as the usual Bonio etc. for treats. Our old boy used to pick up apple falls and proudly bring them into his bed, looking to me to pick it up and slice it for him. It was so sad this Fall to see all Frankie's applies lying on the ground, waiting for him..................... 😢

·
Registered
20 Posts
Having come out the other side of soft bite training and how to walk on a lead, she ahs now started her first season. Just over six months and she is now constantly washing herself and leaving blood trails on the floor. She seems bemused and clingy , but we are giving her reassurance. All walks are on the lead , and she is wearing panties indoors. The good news is that we intend to spay her after her second season, so we are closer to that day!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Having come out the other side of soft bite training and how to walk on a lead, she ahs now started her first season. Just over six months and she is now constantly washing herself and leaving blood trails on the floor. She seems bemused and clingy , but we are giving her reassurance. All walks are on the lead , and she is wearing panties indoors. The good news is that we intend to spay her after her second season, so we are closer to that day!
Be aware that her discharge needs to 'come away', not be held against her so rather than use panties it would be better to confine her to an area that can be wiped up and cover any furniture she's used to getting up on. And for a kindness to any local males (and their owners) rather than taking her out on a lead (and remember she could squat in the wrong place, and pick up infection = a Pyometra), it would be better to keep her at home or perhaps take her off in your car to a quiet area so she doesn't spread it around!! None of our girls left our property(ies) when in season and I remain convinced that this was part of the reason we never, in how-many girls, had a Pyo.

And why wait until after her second season. Get it done 2.5 months from the end of this season. But that's you decision and you do have to think about growth plate closure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Avast Premium Security Crack top-class safety protects against all online threats, inclusive of spoofed websites, and ransomware. Complemented via a safe zone era, it creates a remoted digital desktop, invisible to any viable attacker, where you can do your online buying and banking securely.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Avast Premium Security Crack top-class safety protects against all online threats, inclusive of spoofed websites, and ransomware. Complemented via a safe zone era, it creates a remoted digital desktop, invisible to any viable attacker, where you can do your online buying and banking securely.
Thank you but I have my own computer security and this is a BASSET HOUND forum, not to do with what you are advertising.

·
Registered
5 Posts
my puppy has always had tummy issues and for some reason the only thing that has stopped it is sprinkling a probiotic on top of her food in the morning... if I skip one day it’s back to runny poop. Pet smart employees idea. We did all the parasitic tests and everything and for some reason this powder “Rx pets” probiotic from Amazon that we keep in the fridge is the only thing that helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
my puppy has always had tummy issues and for some reason the only thing that has stopped it is sprinkling a probiotic on top of her food in the morning... if I skip one day it’s back to runny poop. Pet smart employees idea. We did all the parasitic tests and everything and for some reason this powder “Rx pets” probiotic from Amazon that we keep in the fridge is the only thing that helps
Has your vet been able to recommend anything? Or figure out what the cause might be? When my guys have had upset tummies I've had good luck with pumpkin, 1 TBS twice a day. But might want to ask a vet for a puppy, I'm not sure if it would be a different dose. Cause my guys are 50lbs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts