Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to know what is the best kind of dry dog food for a basset?

I am using Nutro puppy formula wheat free.

It seems Ryder has a really oily coat and he seems to smell 1 day after he gets his bath.

Does anyone know of a better dry food to help for skin/coat odor?

PLEASE HELP!-THANKS!

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
If odor is a problem, you may be bathing him too often, sending his oil-producing glands into overdrive.

Be sure to check his ears, mouth, and anal glands, which can also be sources of odor. It's never too early to start a good dental regimen with regular tooth brushing, which cuts down considerably on doggie breath. :)

·
Registered
983 Posts
People here and at the vets office have suggested Lamb and Rice (walmart brand is what I buy). It helps with skin allergies and also doggy breath. Walmart also has dog treat in lamb and rice. Roscoe's skin allergy isn't quite as bad as it was before.
Taralynn it would be great to meet you since we live so close together.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I used to feed Cody IAMS, but after hearing some not-so-good stuff about the company, I switched to Purina One lamb and rice formula with yogurt. He loves it! I give him about a cup a day, sometimes 1-1/2 cups, as I don't want him to gain any weight, and he does get treats in between, plus a table scrap or two at supper time.

A

·
0 Posts
Simon eats California Natural, lamb and rice His coat is beautiful no odor I think dogs should have limited ingredients in the food He doesn't get any people food Never had one from puppyhood though.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I currently feed Purina One for Senstative Systems. It is a fish based food with no wheat products and fewer by products than a lot of other foods. However, I add fresh veggies, potato, rice and mea to their diets. I am thinking of switching to an all nature diet after reading an article lately on the contents of even some of the higher end dog foods. Although Nutro is still a preferred food with human quality ingredients. I am researching the BARF diet but even though they give bones, I wouldn't unless it was a big knuckle bone or something.

A

·
0 Posts
I've been feeding Francis Beneful with the occasional 1/4 cup unsweetened pumpkin for fiber and his coat is glossy and sweet smelling. I never bathe him, either, but I clean him up frequently with unscented baby wipes or wet bath towels. People have remarked to me how Francis never "smells like a dog"
I also clean his ears weekly with a facecloth and a little diluted peroxide. He's never once had an ear infection or any allergies.

A

·
0 Posts
Hi I feed Ben and Lucy Canidae all stages dry food. They love it, and we haven't had any problems with it. Martha

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Heather, please don't tell me that you've stopped cooking for your hounds????? The tribe would be heartbroken to know that when they finally get to Autie HEather's house that the wonderful meals won't be waiting for them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I guess bathing him once a week is considered too much? I am really new to this because we have only ever had poodles and they don't seem to have sensative skin.

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
"It seems Ryder has a really oily coat and he seems to smell 1 day after he gets his bath.

Does anyone know of a better dry food to help for skin/coat odor?"

it is very possible that there is an underlying problem that is not food related and can not be corrected by food.

Basset hounds are prone to a condition called seborrhea

"Primary seborrhea is an inherited disorder of the skin in which the outer layer of the skin (the epidermis), the sebaceous glands, and part of the hair follicles are hyperproductive. The rate of cell turnover in these tissues is significantly increased, causing excessive production of scale (dry flakes of skin) and sebum (fatty lubricating substance). Seborrhea oleosa is the more greasy form while seborrhea sicca is a dryer form. Many dogs have a combination of both types. Chronic waxy ear infections (otitis externa) also occur commonly as part of this disorder.

Signs of primary seborrhea are usually apparent by a year of age. Affected dogs are often greasy, scaly and smelly

...Primary seborrhea is most commonly seen in the American cocker spaniel, West Highland white terrier, English springer spaniel, and Basset hound. "

Besides primary seborrhea there is secondary seborrhea which is cause by an underlying condition like an allergy.

Seborrhea is most often treated with Shampoo Therapy

Seborrhea in Dogs
"Bathing is necessary at least once a week. Some dogs may need a bath with a medicated shampoo twice or three times a week. Different shampoos and conditioners are used according to the infection present and the type of seborrhea. Some are good for dry skin (Allergroom®), while others are good for greasy skin (LyTar®). Some shampoos are antibacterial (OxyDex®), while others are antifungal (Selsun Blue® animals). "

Seborrhea can be primary or cause by another underlying cause which if cured will cure the seborrhea. It often cause other problems like bacterial or yeast infections of the skin which also must be treated. It is quite complicated and best treated with consultation with a vet preferrably one that specializes in dermatology.

[ January 08, 2006, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: Toughynutter ]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Greetings and welcome! I would suggest that Ryder get a check up from a vet before you do anything for the condition you describe. We really dont bathe Bessie all that often but we do brush her everyday, clean her ears once or twice a week... just check by looking and if you see dirt then clean...ear smell is also an indicator too. Bassets do have what some describe as water proof coats in that it is repellent of water. And it is best not to wash too often to keep it repellent.Reading books about dogs is another source of info to be had. I have several..."Dogs for Dummies" (like me) also "Dogs:The Ultimate care guide" by Hoffman and "AKC Dog care& Training. There are also some on behavior and I have several of those also..however in the case of these the authors dont always agree about what makes a dog tick.Try some of the links here also but Common sense is always a good guide. So put that Dog Guide on the table next to your bed and enjoy your wonderful and beautiful Basset Hound. and remember what DOG is spelled backwards...lol...Jeff&Sandy

·
Registered
1 Posts
People here and at the vets office have suggested Lamb and Rice (walmart brand is what I buy). It helps with skin allergies and also doggy breath. Walmart also has dog treat in lamb and rice. Roscoe's skin allergy isn't quite as bad as it was before.
Taralynn it would be great to meet you since we live so close together.
[/b]
I also have a male basset named Roscoe. Also, I feed him the Wal-Mart (Ol Roy) Lamb and Rice formula. It has really helped his coat to be alot healthier and shiny. The primary reason I started using it was because I was trying to improve the odor that he had and I read on this forum that this dog food was a good one to use. It said to stay away from foods that had yellow corn for the main ingredient. It's nice to know that someone else is doing the same thing as I am. Some people say that Ol Roy food is not any good, but I have been very pleased and it is quite abit cheaper.

·
Registered
465 Posts
We feed ours Hills Science Diet Adult Light formula. They really don't have any doggy odor at all. I buy this at the vets office. It's a bit pricey, around $1 a pound if you figure it out, but that was what Elmer was on when we got him, and we decided to just keep with that brand.

Also: My friend is a scientist and director of the production facility of Omega Protein in Reedville VA. For those of you who have never had the pleasure of piloting your boat through Reedville waters when they are "cooking" :eek: it is where they process the Menhaden catch of all the fishboats into that yummy Omega 3 fish oil. The first quality if for medications and cosmetics, and cruder version (from what I understand) is used in animal foods. She says that Hills is one of their biggest customers and that it really is a good formula dog food. So far, it keeps them healthy and coats shiny and soft. And they don't even have fishy breath! :lol: Of course, whatever works for your dog is what you should use, though. :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Rusty & Stickers eat Eukanuba Lamb & Rice. They also get a carrot each, everyday for lunch. They both do well on this food. I was feeding them Hills Science Diet Lamb & Rice when I first got them. Their stool was way too soft and too much!!! I noticed a different within days on the Eukanuba. I also brush their teeth everyday. They are use to it and just sit there. In fact Rusty will run over to Stickers and start licking her teeth just to get the flavor of the toothpaste :rolleyes: I have also heard that too frequent bathing can make the skin produce too much oil. I bathe them when they are really dirty!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Some hounds just have a slightly oilier coat than others. Stomps' coat is like that, and over the years he's gotten nothing but the highest-quality, closest-to-natural dog food available. He doesn't have seborrhea, he's just slightly stinky. Lightning on the other hand has gotten the same foods, and his coat is dry and soft and smells wonderful. I never bathe either one, unless they've gotten into something. So while I think a good diet is critical to the overall health of a dog, don't expect it to remedy his oily coat entirely.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts