Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what kind of bones does your basset like to chew? Yogi doesn't seem to care for most types of dog bones since he is an adult. He does like Booda Velvet Bimple Bones quite a bit but we go through them so fast and I really have to watch him to make sure he doesn't get a big piece off and swallow it. I used to give him Greenies but he was throwing up quite a bit on them. So let's hear what everyone else's hound likes to chew.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Bully Stix. Bully Stix are not rawhide,they come from bull penis- they are considered a ligament I think. The dog can't break off big pieces that get stuck in the intestine and cause a blockage. They are pretty expensive, about $8 for the 12 inch size, but I only give them once a week, let them chew for about 30 minutes while I supervise, then put them away- they last about a month that way. There are a couple of different brands, I make sure the ones I get are made in the USA.

I just started brushing Murray's teeth once a week- he likes having it done and I can make sure tartar isn't building up by doing it.

They get stuffed Kongs every now and then too- I put a few dog biscuits, some carrots, some peanut butter, etc. inside and they really get excited.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I second the bully stix. They are the only chew my dogs get, there are no others that are safe in my opinion. You do have to watch for when they get small enough to swallow whole. I take them away at this point & give them to a friends chihuahua. Even the little stubs last him for days. :p

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Same here. Bully Stix. Expensive, yes, but a lot chearper than tummy surgery to remove chunks of rawhide or nylabone. Bogie takes it by spells chewing for several days then doesn't touch them for several days or so, then back on a chewing binge.

We also use the Kong and stuff it it with a smear of peanut butter, cheese pieces, small bits of a dog cookie and then wedge a larger cookie in the hole to keep the smaller pieces from falling out easily. This will keep him busy for quiet awhile. All you have to do is say "Kong" and pick it up, and he races to the kitchen.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will have to check out those Bully Sticks. I have heard of them but never used them.
Yogi and Gunny love Kong toys too! I put peanut butter and dog cookies in them and all I have to say is "stuffing toy" and they start barking and dancing! :lol:

·
Registered
157 Posts
My Bogie is a pretty big fan of pig ears, but they get pretty nasty after having been chewed on. He wont finish them. I've found that some places (pet smart) sells slices of pig ears, so they are pretty small, but they don't break off in pieces and he's never swallowed or choked on one. I haven't been able to find bully sticks, but I've been meaning to try. Also, as a Greenie alternative, if you have a Trader Joes near you, they have "Mint-a-bones" or something, which are made in the US, and smell a lot better than greenies. Bogie wont eat regular greenies anymore now that I've given him the ones from Trader Joes.

·
Registered
535 Posts
My dogs love the Bully Sticks and they last so much longer then anything else but none of the stores in our town carry them, they only get the Bully Sticks when I bring them back from out of town. I give them pig ears when I don't have the Bully Sticks and they like them as well but they don't last long, they will have them gone in a no time at all.

·
Registered
13,055 Posts
My dogs love the Bully Sticks and they last so much longer then anything[/b]

Most of mine must be aggressive chewers cuz bully sticks do not last. While they can have an obnoxious odor and on need to careful about the country of oriin the only thing that last any time round here is cow hooves. The other problem with cow hooves is they are hard so they have been associated with broken and cracked teeth. Eventual they get worn down small enough they can be a choking hazzard There is no truely safe chew toy. Whenevera chew especially one he never has had before it is important to monitor the dog closely

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello,

My basset, Jasper, loves hambones. I give him large ones with some meat still on them. When it begins to get small, I remove it and get a new one for him. He loves large beef bones as well. He has never choked on them or swallowed them.

Jasperspet aka Colleen

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Bully sticks are the only thing (so far) my dogs can chew without getting sick. One of them pigs out on anything else, breaks off big pieces, and gets sick on the large pieces.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also vote for bully stix. Our Bailey loves to chew, but I have also had to stick my hand down her throat a couple of times so we always throw them away when they get a bit small. Bully stix do get to a small point and actually last night she swallowed the last little bit of hers...didn't seem to hurt her except getting us up at 2am to use the bathroom :) Kongs have also been popular as she rolls it all over the house and up and down the stairs.

clare

·
Registered
162 Posts
Bully stix and raw shank bones from the meat department. Stryker will work on one of those for hours to get out the marrow. When he's finished with them I donate them to the shelter. They sterilize them and give them to the shelter dogs (who LOVE them!). Belinda.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts