Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Report: Pa. fails to use puppy mill law - News

"Report: Pa. fails to use puppy mill law' " 9/28/2012 article from the Lancaster Inteligencer

Quote:

Thousands of dogs are languishing because the Pennsylvania Dog Law Enforcement Office has failed to enforce regulations meant to eliminate substandard commercial kennels known as puppy mills, a state advisory board said Thursday.

Dozens of kennels have been permitted to skirt tough new rules on ventilation, humidity, lighting, flooring and ammonia levels, the Dog Law Advisory Board's enforcement panel said in a new report.

The report was issued five months after board members first publicly raised concerns about regulatory lapses that threatened to undo years of hard-won progress in the fight against breeders who mistreat their dogs. The panel said it has come to the "disturbing conclusion that, through either studied indifference or by design, the (Dog Law Enforcement Office) has failed in its enforcement of critical components of the dog law and canine health regulations."

This "laxity in enforcement," the report continued, "has allowed thousands of dogs to languish in pre-2008 conditions despite protections in the law that as of today largely exist only on paper."

·
Registered
931 Posts
That's awful makes me feel sick. Pure Animal Cruelty can't they all be charged with that? Is it true that one of the reasons there are so many Puppy Farms in Penn is that the Government subsidised them to help the Amish community?

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Exactly what I've been sayin' too - the problem is not that we need even stricter laws, the problem is that existing cruelty legislation needs to be properly enforced. Cruelty is already illegal.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I know you don't agree, but I still believe we needed the stricter laws. In Pa. before the 2008 legislation, there was plenty of cruelty to the puppymill dogs that was perfectly legal.

Dogs could legally roast in 100 degree heat in tiny cages which they never left, there were no required vet exams, ammonia levels were out of sight in the kennels, cages could be stacked,etc. , etc., etc. I believe raising the bar on the legal definition of what is cruel and what is not cruel is worth something, and that's why I started posting on this topic a few years ago.

As you know, I live in Lancaster county, the "Puppymill Capitol of the East Coast", so this has always been a personal issue for me: it's hard for me to drive past barns every day and know that there are dogs inside suffering.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I have not known them to be subsidised by any government body in PA. Believe me the Amish are not poor.I too have lived in Lancaster county and it is a walking puppy mill.Some people say more public education is needed so people do not purchase substandard unhealthy puppies from them.If there is still someone out there that has not heard about Amish puppies they must be from another country. On the Laws that are suppose to govern them, I am not a fan of a bill put up not long ago because of the way it is written it could affect me and the way my dogs are housed.I have one bitch,one neutered male they are inside dogs.The bill written in the way it was could hurt those of us who only have one maybe two litters a year.We need something more specific to those raising a multitude of puppies and house many breeding pairs of dogs. I don't claim to have my head around the whole political thing but I try to understand what may or may not affect me.

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
Dogs could legally roast in 100 degree heat in tiny cages which they never left,[qoute]

that is only if tiny cages and 100 deegree temps were not detrimental to the dogs healt Unforunately the new standard actual make it impossible to a responsible larger scale breeder. because the regulation do not allow for keeping the dog in a home. the ventilation and air temp requirement are higher than required by OSHA. The purpose of the law was not to make make mills more humane but to eliminate breeding altogether by making it to costly to comply with the law. So what happens is the law gets ignored instead or selectively enforced.

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
The bill written in the way it was could hurt those of us who only have one maybe two litters a year
of course that is the real purpose of the legilation. These bill are always written by HSUS/Peta and other animal rights organization that want to end all breeding. If you regulate breeding to the point that only instutional/comercial operation can afford the factory farm setup required you eliminate the hobey breader. and it because vastly easier to end all breeder. As long s the hobey exists breeding will exist. destroy the hobey breader and the other will fall quickly.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bubbad, my understanding of the law is that it affected only kennels producing 60 puppies or more annually.

Mike is right as far as the law trying to drive the big breeders out of business because of cost of compliance. And it actually worked- I don't have figures in front of me, but I believe well over 100 puppymills closed rather than comply.

As far as who was behind the legislation: national lobbyists may have supported it to further their own agendas, but this law was driven at the grassroots level by local people who don't support PETA or Humane Society agendas to stop all breeding- just people like me who got sick and tired of this dirty industry in our county and in our state. And of course, Governor Rendell- it wouldn't have passed without his support.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts