Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Smough and Orni
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I need some advice. I have 2 beautiful bassets (2 & 1.5 years old).
Our vet has been adamant about giving them the Purina pro plan, which I have had for the last year; they really seem to enjoy the chicken recipe.
Last weekend we ran out of food, and our closest Petco was closed, so I ran to the grocery store and Target and found "Purina One" and "Purina Dow Chow."
I bought the Purina one, but it got me thinking about the difference between these three brands. From what I can read online, there isn't much difference in the recipe, but I am no expert, and not sure how to read the label and if one or two ingredients can make a huge difference.

I was hoping someone could explain how these three brands are different, or if there is another company you recommend, please let me know. I am recently separated and on a single income, so budget-friendly brands are appreciated. If Purina Pro Plan is the best out there, I am happy to pay the extra buck; I just don't want to overpay if another food is basically the same.

(I'm not sure if this is relevant to the brand/food I decide to buy next, but my two bassets are definitely on the heavier side but not overweight; we control their portions. They are chunky loved boys but get their walk and exercise in.
I hope to get some advice/insight on what food you give your babies. Thank you so much for all the tips!!

·
Registered
13,219 Posts
you will find the cheaper Purina brands have less protein and more carbs and the protein they do have is more plant based,. We personally feed Purina Pro Performance 30/20 and a variety on the formulation Dogs do not require carbs it is why they are not listed on dog food nutrition chart but make up the bulk of cheaper kibble calories. Excess carb have been link with a host of issues including diabetes, increased cancer, increased soft tissue injuries, etc. When working in high temps it is easier for the dog to stay cooler burning fat instead of carbs for energy. Feeding for Hunting Success

but our dogs work

1 - 2 of 2 Posts