Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we all love our dogs like real children, but what drives you bonkers about your dog? :blink:

Mine is sleeping in the house ever since most of you told me that is what he wants and it is working out very good but early in the morning when he wakes up he will start licking himself and biting and scratching i have found that he does this for pure pleasure but early in the morning IT DRIVES ME MAD!!!!!!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Could he be allergic to something in his bedding like laundry detergent? I have to wash Murrays blankets in hot water only because he's allergic to laundry soap.

I'm so happy to hear things are going better with Monty!!!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
So glad to hear that things are going better with Monty. On the scratching , biting, and licking be sure he doesn't have a real reason to do this. Our neighbor has an Australian Shepherd that started doing this. They couldn't see anything, but finally took her to the vet. The vet did a skin scraping test, and found she had tiny mites that were not visible to the naked eye. Put her on meds and she's fine now.
Also allergies as mentioned could be the reason, from anything from food, detergents, type of bedding, etc. Also Monty may have found a way to cause you to give him attention in the wee hours of the morning. A trip to the vet would help rule out some of the possible causes. Keep us posted!!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My Lily is such a drama queen and barks and wines like mad to get her way, when I'm tired it drives me bonkers. Gibbs on the other hand is a perfect angel and doesn't have any annoying habits, yet anyway... ;)

~Heather

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lightning barks constantly while I'm preparing their food. He has the loudest bark I've ever heard. I've tried everything to stop this, but I know I'm doomed, because inevitably his barking gets him want he wants--his meals. Stomps is such a gentleman, nothing bothers me about him.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ernest can come in from a three mile walk and five minutes later he will ring/bonk his bell to go out again.

·
Registered
360 Posts
It's gotta be the morning whine. 5:30ish, just like Ruby :rolleyes: Without fail, door closed or open. They stand in the doorway and whine ...that pitch that cuts through your brain ...

They used to come closer to the bed until they felt a pillow or two ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Lily is such a drama queen and barks and wines like mad to get her way, when I'm tired it drives me bonkers. Gibbs on the other hand is a perfect angel and doesn't have any annoying habits, yet anyway... ;)

~Heather[/b]

Monty does this as well he will sits infront of the gate and wine to get into the house and when he is in he wants to go out!!!! <_<

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jasmine is incapable of playing quietly. One tug on her ears by her little sister will undoubtedly set her off. And no amount of "Enough" and "Quiet" will silence her until she's ready to be quiet. She also uses bells to get outside and some days will ring them every five minutes, I'm sure just to drive me insane.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
When Moe whines to get something it drives me up a wall... and usually I end up doing or giving him what he wants (bad idea, I know :rolleyes: ). Every day I give Moe what I call "morning cookies". I read that all treats you give them should be part of thier daily food intake (frequent biscuits = less dinner or substute meal). Moe only gets fed once a day so he gets morning-cookies, which are normally one peice of chicken-jerky and four small Milk Bones (on occasion it may include a Greenie instead of the chicken). Somehow morning-cookies became Before-I-go-to-work-cookies and after-I-get-home-cookies and before-dinner-cookies and after-dinner-cookies and before-bed-cookies. :blink:

I know I spoil him but he has givien me so much more than I give him, and I can't help but count down the time we have left with him. He's already 8 1/2!! Where has the time gone and, when the time comes, how am I going to manage without him? :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
Try as I might to make sure everything is out of the reach of my counter surfing dog before I go to work.... Daisy manages to get her trouble maker little self into something... Nearly everyday when i come home for lunch, I arrive to a new surprise.

- a chewed up role of paper towel strewn across the entire house
- a brand new package of disposable razors ripped open and each blade chewed and dented up
- the amazing disappearance of the remainder of a brick of butter off the table
- a loaf of bread snatched off the counter.... each slice strategically hidden in the couch cushions
- chewed up candle holder and accompanying tea lights (nicely mashed into the couch)

Ha! and those events are just from the past week or so!

But honestly she's just sooo happy and excited when I get home... it's hard to be mad at her.... plus I don't doubt for a second that each mess was preventable, had I exercised a bit more diligence in the matter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Buster steals shoes, toys (Lizzy's), and whatever he can and runs into the playroom with it. Last night we were putting away groceires and my husband couldn't find a green pepper. You guessed it and not only had he run off with it he ate half of it (who knew bassets would enjoy them???)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Last night we were putting away groceires and my husband couldn't find a green pepper. You guessed it and not only had he run off with it he ate half of it (who knew bassets would enjoy them???)[/b]
**lol** Reminds me of Beldin ... he managed to get into the potatoes ... but I grabbed him and made him give it up ... he dropped it and then ran off and next thing I hear "crunch - crunch - crunch..."

I go look... the little blighter had TWO in his mouth and managed to tuck one back or something so when I fished the one out I thought that was it! *ha* He looked pretty darned pleased with himself too.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I go look... the little blighter had TWO in his mouth and managed to tuck one back or something so when I fished the one out I thought that was it! *ha* He looked pretty darned pleased with himself too.[/b]
Of course he was pleased... he pulled one over on you, didn't he? Clever little bugger! :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts