Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys have been great at answering my questions so far. This is pretty novice, but being this is my first dog - what do your adult dogs do all day?

Do they mostly sleep, play? Maggie spends so much time getting into stuff/getting into trouble and I'm wondering if this is an all ages trait, or a 6 month old trait.

Also, are any of your dogs barkers? I think it is because she has just been spayed and I can't take her for long walks, but she has been quite the barker for the last couple days. She mostly barks at me. I think it is when she wants to play, but she also barks at me when I stop her from doing something naughty (chewing on the curtains, trying to counter surf, etc.)

Thanks so much,
Missjoy and Maggie

·
Registered
316 Posts
Bassets become couch potatoes after a couple of years typically. Until then, some are wound tighter than others. The best advice anyone can give you is 'a tired basset is a great basset.'

Walk that little girl till she can't walk no more! ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Byron has calmed down a bit now that he is a year and a half. He still likes to find trouble; he loves socks, underware, toothpaste tubes, and my knitting. But he mostly sleeps during the day. if my husband is away, I walk he for 30 minutes and his is a bit calmer than if he has spend the better part of the day sleeping. Don't worry, your basset will eventually settle down. She's still a puppy. ^_^

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Sadie calmed after a couple years & spent most of her adult life lounging. She'd go from the couch to the bed to the porch chair. She loved to position herself in front of a door or a window so she could watch the world go by. Spencer is 10 1/2 years old & while he has slowed a little, he is still very playful & active. He stays with my Mom while I work & she tells me he keeps her busy - in & out, chasing squirrels in the yard, playing with toys, ETC. I walk him about 30 minutes every day after work. Sometimes that is not enough to calm him. Today after walking, we also had a good game of fetch. I think it just depends on the dog. They are like people - all different!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
We have owned two Bassets now. Bubba, ATB, was a couch potato, loved to be lazy, but also loved a good romp and long walks. Bogie, two in April, is the busy guy, always wanting attention, gets into things on occasion, needs longs walks twice a day if possible to keep him setteled down. Each one has their own needs and personalities, just like kids.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
My two are complete opposites. Lily (two this month) spends her day playing with a few small doses of rest and Gibbs (3 in November) spends his day resting with a few doses of playing. It all depends on the dog of course.

~Heather

·
Registered
196 Posts
What do bassets do? Here's my boys' schedule...

5:15 a.m. Breakfast
5:45 a.m. WALKIES. Snoopy's still sleepy so he staggers along on his walk.
6:30 a.m. TOAST! The boys watch the toaster, and come get me when it's done
7:00 - 8:30 a.m. Nap time
8:30 a.m. WALKIES!
9:30 a.m. KILL THE VACCUUM CLEANER. Their favourite game.
10:00 a.m. Lie in wait for the post man. They like to talk to him, and he likes to talk to them. He's about to adopt his own basset from Rescue. I occasioanlly offer to lend him mine.
11:30 a.m. WALKIES!
12:30 p.m. Sleepy time.
15:00 p.m. WALKIES!
16:15 p.m. Time for Deal or No Deal for the slaves, so for bassets, that means WRESTLING, with added cat chasing.
17:00 p.m. Dinner time
18:00 p.m. CRAZY HOUR
20:30 p.m. Bed time.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would have dog food and bowls in my bedroom if Daisy had breakfast at 5:15 am! :lol: I agree with everyone who said a tired dog is a good dog. Daisy is 6 months old and if I can get her to walk for 20 minutes or run around the yard for 10, then she's pretty much good for a nap and lounging. Most mornings she likes to run around the yard and after supper is the walk. I find on rainy days she's more mischeivious from being inside all day.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I run a magazine, and work from my office at home. Because a lot of my writers are in the US, I tend to work crazy hours. I've found that having hounds is the perfect procrastination tool.

I find windy days are the worst with my boys. They get spooked and hyper.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Moe used to be an early riser. At under a year (he was a half grown pup when we adopted him) his day started around 6-6:30AM and didn't stop till bedtime. By three years old he stopped rising with the kids and began going out with them when the busses came, anywhere from 7-8:15AM. Now, at eight years old I sometimes have to drag his lazy butt off the couch to throw him out before I leave for the day, around 9:30-10AM. :rolleyes:

Moe used to be a real mischief-maker and needed to be crated when nobody was home. He was EXTREMELY high-energy and always on the lookout for an opportunity to get into trouble. This was actually a good thing for our family - my kids quickly learned to pick up after themselves or risk loosing valuables to Moe. :lol: We walked Moe frequently (because everyone knows a tired dog is a GOOD dog). By two years old he graduated to being left loose in the house but we kept all the bathroom and bedroom doors closed and the coffe tables and kitchen counters cleared off. At this age beenie babies, rubber snakes, toilet paper, magazines, books, shoes, wallets, eyeglasses, CD's, and underwear of any kind were favorite toys. His insanely crazy times were limited to the time after dinner when he insisted on rigorous interactive playtime (fetch, wrestling, and careful games of tug-of-war). I'd say by five or six years he had settled into the lazy couch-potato routine he has today, rising late to go out for his morning perimeter patrol, morning cookies, nap till Tally gets up so he can go back outside with her, nap till my son gets home from school, afternoon cookies, yard patrol till I get home, dinner and after dinner cookies, outside for a spell, laptime for a couple hours (family TV time - plenty of lap choices), out for one last pee and a last goodnight bark to the neighbors, then bedtime. Note the frequent cookie times - somehow morning cookies escalated to cookies throughout the day. He barks at the jar till I give in, but he's older now and still a healthy weight so I indulge him. He only has ocassional bursts of insanity and mayhem nowadays, but I really miss the high-energy crazies of his youth. I never thought I'd feel that way...

Thier youth flies by far faster than ours... enjoy it while you have it. Someday you'll look back and miss it, too.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It's very true that their youth is fairly short. Snoopy used to be a real speedy feet - he was all skinny and slinky. In the past 6 months, since he turned 2, he's gone all muscular and has slowed down. I could probably get away with leaving him in bed for the first walk, because he follws behind, yawning his head off.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks so much for the info. Since this is my first dog I was curious. Today has been good. Maggie has been getting three walks a day (after breakfast, a long one around mid afternoon, and one after dinner). Since she has had to stick around home post-spay she has been more mischevious. She seems to get bored a lot, so gets into trouble. I would love for her to want to play in the yard for a while to facilitate housecleaning and not have to put her in her crate, but she goes out and then just barks to be let back in.

I know she is only 6 months, but I'm looking forward to a tiny bit of mellowing!

Missjoy and Maggie

·
Registered
118 Posts
We work "normal hours" so here is Josés schedule:

7:30 am- out to potty, back in to sleep (we leave for work)
12:00 Noon - my mom comes to take him for a walk. Between 1/2 mile to over a mile on nicer days. Then back to lounge.
5:30 pm - I'm home. José eats dinner.
5:30-9:30 PRIME TIME. See below******
9:30 falls sleep
11:00 forced outside to potty. Then back to sleep.

*****Prime time: Like a child I can't just expect him to amuse himself. He follows me around when I am making dinner or cleaning up. He goes outside, then wants back in, then out, then in.... He brings over toys in his mouth and then shoves them into my leg as if I need to be told he wants to play. My husband has to wrestle with him every night - only for about 5 or 10 minutes but they go at it and get his energy out. There will be about two sessions of "crazy dog" with José running from one end of the house to the other, barking and acting like he's lost his mind. Lastly, there will be at least one Parade Of Bones. The big bone in my avatar. He parades around like he has OCD & is counting the number of laps, we must praise him with "Wow! What a big bone!" each time he walks by. Then he buries it and digs on the carpet.

If you think shoe-chewing or toilet paper shredding ends when they "grow up" think again. It might just get less frequent. José now has the patience to wait until just the right pair of expensive heels are left out...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I work "normal" hours also so my dogs are left in the kitchen during the day (and when I get home they pretty much stay outside for at least an hour-their choice. I've always said I would love to have a doggie cam so I could see how much Lily bugs her brother Gibbs. :)

~Heather

·
Registered
196 Posts
I work "normal" hours also so my dogs are left in the kitchen during the day (and when I get home they pretty much stay outside for at least an hour-their choice. I've always said I would love to have a doggie cam so I could see how much Lily bugs her brother Gibbs. :)

~Heather[/b]
I alwayus suspect that my boys are on their best behaviour when I leave them. After all... surely half the fun of running around with someone's bra is in the reaction? If there's no one there to react, what's the point... :D

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I alwayus suspect that my boys are on their best behaviour when I leave them. After all... surely half the fun of running around with someone's bra is in the reaction? If there's no one there to react, what's the point... :D[/b]
That made me remember that Moe always used to steal something forbidden (underwear or the paid bills I was about to mail that he pulled from my purse), he'd make a point of me seeing him steal it, then he'd run like he** in the hopes that I'd chase him. A favorite game and for the most part I enjoyed it, too... except when the timing was wrong (i.e. when I'm about to leave for work and already running late :rolleyes: ). How could you get mad at them? They do these things with such an endearing, innocent look... he made me laugh more often than not! :lol:

·
Registered
932 Posts
Daisy & Sally want to go live at Snoopy and Henry's house. They've got it made!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts