Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to hear what people feed their Basset. We asked at Petsmart for a Recommendation and they recommended Royal Canin Puppy. Then when we went to adult they recommended Eukanuba (can't remember the formula). She started to shed horrendously. I thought it could be related to the food. So we now have her on Royal Canin Bulldog. I would love feed her a more natural diet. IE: One I cook myself.
I would love some info on what people here do to feed their dogs!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
We started all 5 hounds on EVO red meat large bites, they all seem to like the taste
and are doing very well on this food. Not the cheapest but worth it so far

·
Registered
538 Posts
I would love to hear what people feed their Basset. We asked at Petsmart for a Recommendation and they recommended Royal Canin Puppy. Then when we went to adult they recommended Eukanuba (can't remember the formula). She started to shed horrendously. I thought it could be related to the food. So we now have her on Royal Canin Bulldog. I would love feed her a more natural diet. IE: One I cook myself.

Thanks!![/b]
Emma has allergies....so in the beginning we had to keep trying different food. But for the past several years, we've fed her Nature's Recipe Fish and Potato. With a dollup of pumpkin for her anal sacs :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both!
Pumpkin? What does this do? We had a family dog while I was growing up (Cocker Spaniel) and she had terrible problems with her anal sac.
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Thank you both!
Pumpkin? What does this do? We had a family dog while I was growing up (Cocker Spaniel) and she had terrible problems with her anal sac.
Thanks!!![/b]
Well, in addition to it being some low-calorie filler (Emma's a little overweight), it's fiber that is supposed to help her anal glands drain better. She doesn't have the best luck with that....she'll start barking at her butt or doing the "boot scootin' boogie" across the floor and then I have to manually drain them for her. It's pretty funny though, cause I'll say "Do you need a butt squeeze?" and she will stop dead in her tracks, looking straight ahead, waiting for the "procedure" :lol:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I've fed Spencer Nutro Lamb and Rice for his whole life (until recently). For the past couple years he was on the senior version of it. He now eats Nutro Venison and Brown Rice. He was doing quite a bit more itching & the vet wanted to put him on some outrageously priced prescription food. We tried the Nutro Venison & Brown Rice instead & so far, he is doing well. My only complaint with it is the kibble is kind of big compared to the senior food he was on previously. He has several loose teeth, making it hard for him to chew it. I have to put it in my mini chopper to make the kibble smaller.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Thank you both!
Thanks!!![/b]

It increases stool volume which in turn is supose to put more pressure on the anal gand when the dog deficates. However it also softens the stool at the same time so I am a bit sceptacle. As noted in another reply everyone that I know that swears it works still has to manual excise the anal gands which also makes me wonder just how much it actual helps the problem, but it does no harm.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts

Thanks!![/b]

keep in mind the individual difference betweend dogs is much greater that the similarties of individuals of a particuler breed. That is using info on what other feed is not likely to be very benefital for your dog. Diferent activity levels, genetics, metobolic rate, health concerns. etc play a more important roll than breed.

How soon after the change over did the shedding increase. Immeadiate, 1-2 weeks, more? It takes at least a week for any change in nutrition to manifest itself. For most dogs for something to show up due to a nutritional change is more on the order of 6-12 weeks. Couple that with entering a seasonal shedding period for many dogs based on where they live it is more likely the increased shedding and the change in food are unrelated. But we humans like to make link were none actual exist. If you are interested in proving eukanuba as the cause of the shedding begin taking measurments of how much hair you remove each day brushing the dog for the next 6 weeks. Then switch back to the eukanuba and do the same and compare.

When it comes to feeding I am less interested in brand name than in ingredients and nutrional profiles. I have working dogs and as such I feed a High protein >30% high fat > 20% diet. It is not a diet for every dog. It is high in caloric density so you have to feed less. High protein diets have been loosely linked to some aggressive behavior in dogs. Fat however is a much better source of energy, calories than carbohydrates. This is much different than the human model in which high fat diet lead to disease. Dogs are better equipt to use fat as an energy source than carbohydrates. High protein diets are shown to reduce the risk of soft tissue injuries in dogs. High protein, low carbohydrate diets are better for weight loss than more moderate protein diets in dogs, yet you look at 90% of the weight control diets on the market and they are lower protein and higher in carbohydrates than the regualar food. Same for senior formulas which are general lower in protein when in fact older dogs need more protein in the diet not less to maintain lean muscle mass as compared to younger dogs. Thesre just a few of the more recent, ( last 10-15 years} discoveries in basic canine nutrition that stood conventional wisdom on its ear. I do not feed one brand exclusively. I believe with as little as we actually know about canine nutrition, complete and balanced is a dog food myth. Logic woud dictate if given the uncertaintess in human nutrition variety of food is recomended to minimize the risks cause by the lack of knowledge then in dogs which we know even less about nutritionally variety should be paramount.

The best advice I have seen on the web about feed dogs Dog Foods - Help in making the choice easier
My dogs tend to do better on what I consider medium grade foods. Not the best/priciest stuff (Innova, California Natural, Canidae) but not the really cheap stuff either (Hi-Pro, Dog Chow). Remember price has nothing to do with what might work for your dog. Just because a food is listed in a magazine as their 10 best, doesn't mean its better than another food that isn't listed. They do no testing of the food, they base their opinions on the ingredients. My dogs have not done well on any of those foods. Think for yourself and don't get brainwashed into thinking you are a horrible pet owner if you don't buy these foods for your dog.

...Remember, what works for my dogs or anyone else's dog might not work for yours. Buy the smallest bag you can find of what you want to start trying and if the dog doesn't eat it or you don't like the results, then you aren't out much and you can donate the rest to a shelter. I swear this last year I have to have donated more food that didn't work out with my dogs to shelters than anyone else in my county. (laughs)[/b]

·
Registered
12,947 Posts

Thanks!![/b]

keep in mind the individual difference betweend dogs is much greater that the similarties of individuals of a particuler breed. That is using info on what other feed is not likely to be very benefital for your dog. Diferent activity levels, genetics, metobolic rate, health concerns. etc play a more important roll than breed.

How soon after the change over did the shedding increase. Immeadiate, 1-2 weeks, more? It takes at least a week for any change in nutrition to manifest itself. For most dogs for something to show up due to a nutritional change is more on the order of 6-12 weeks. Couple that with entering a seasonal shedding period for many dogs based on where they live it is more likely the increased shedding and the change in food are unrelated. But we humans like to make link were none actual exist. If you are interested in proving eukanuba as the cause of the shedding begin taking measurments of how much hair you remove each day brushing the dog for the next 6 weeks. Then switch back to the eukanuba and do the same and compare.

When it comes to feeding I am less interested in brand name than in ingredients and nutrional profiles. I have working dogs and as such I feed a High protein >30% high fat > 20% diet. It is not a diet for every dog. It is high in caloric density so you have to feed less. High protein diets have been loosely linked to some aggressive behavior in dogs. Fat however is a much better source of energy, calories than carbohydrates. This is much different than the human model in which high fat diet lead to disease. Dogs are better equipt to use fat as an energy source than carbohydrates. High protein diets are shown to reduce the risk of soft tissue injuries in dogs. High protein, low carbohydrate diets are better for weight loss than more moderate protein diets in dogs, yet you look at 90% of the weight control diets on the market and they are lower protein and higher in carbohydrates than the regualar food. Same for senior formulas which are general lower in protein when in fact older dogs need more protein in the diet not less to maintain lean muscle mass as compared to younger dogs. Thesre just a few of the more recent, ( last 10-15 years} discoveries in basic canine nutrition that stood conventional wisdom on its ear. I do not feed one brand exclusively. I believe with as little as we actually know about canine nutrition, complete and balanced is a dog food myth. Logic woud dictate if given the uncertaintess in human nutrition variety of food is recomended to minimize the risks cause by the lack of knowledge then in dogs which we know even less about nutritionally variety should be paramount.

The best advice I have seen on the web about feed dogs Dog Foods - Help in making the choice easier
My dogs tend to do better on what I consider medium grade foods. Not the best/priciest stuff (Innova, California Natural, Canidae) but not the really cheap stuff either (Hi-Pro, Dog Chow). Remember price has nothing to do with what might work for your dog. Just because a food is listed in a magazine as their 10 best, doesn't mean its better than another food that isn't listed. They do no testing of the food, they base their opinions on the ingredients. My dogs have not done well on any of those foods. Think for yourself and don't get brainwashed into thinking you are a horrible pet owner if you don't buy these foods for your dog.

...Remember, what works for my dogs or anyone else's dog might not work for yours. Buy the smallest bag you can find of what you want to start trying and if the dog doesn't eat it or you don't like the results, then you aren't out much and you can donate the rest to a shelter. I swear this last year I have to have donated more food that didn't work out with my dogs to shelters than anyone else in my county. (laughs)[/b]

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Bogie Carter eats 1/2 cup of Innova Reduced Fat Adult Dry Kibble plus a couple of tablespoons of Innova Adult canned food morning and night. He then gets 1/4 cup of the dry kibble before bedtime to prevent empty tummy syndrome of throwing up around 4 AM. Our vet recommended 1 TBS of unflavored coarse milled metamucil for his anal glands with each meal. We also have him on GLC 1000 glucosamin with chondroitin for his bones and joints.
He has a beautiful coat, but does still shed quiet a bit. The vet also suggested trying "Missing Link" for extra vitamins, supplements, and fiber. Not sure if that has made any difference or not, since we just started that before our move, and pit bull attack. Since then he's been on antibiotics and dermaxx for pain and inflamation, so at this point can't tell if the "Missing Link" has helped or not.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Peanut (and little brother Tarquin) are currently on Wellness Healthy weight (Tarquin's the one overweight...Peanut is good at 54lbs). It's only 6% fat (or so) and they both seem to love it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I feed Eagle Pack Adult formula (it comes in the dark blue bag). Ken likes to snack on cucumbers and tomatoes too. and whatever else he can get his mouth on. One time he snagged a 16pack of hotdog rolls off the table and ate the whole thing. :mellow: he like doubled in size after that!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bart eats Nutro Lamb & Rice Senior. Occasionally we'll mix in some Science diet senior turkey wet food...he really loves it. I also give him some salad at dinner time (tomatoes, romaine & carrots) so that he can get extra vitamins from the colored veggies. I also have barty on glucoasamine/chondroitin supplements. Since he's older (10) I try to keep him on the lighter side of a healthier weight to keep the pressure off his joints. This diet has been working very well for him. Barty had to get x-rays about 4 months ago and the vet commented that he has the joints of a basset half his age. That makes me confident that he will be his usual self for many years to come :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
We just started Daisy May on Eagle Pack Hollistic Select Chicken and Rice. She seems to like it. I also like Castor and Pollux Weight Management. It has a Basset on it. Lol.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thelonious and Django eat Wellness whitefish and sweet potato and up until yesterday Penelope was eating at a foster home which feed her lamb and rice (something). She doesn't really like the wellness yet but she's stressed out still from the move, so we'll see. I love the wellness as far as the boys go. It's been great

Rachael

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks!![/b]

Well I am new to this forum but wanted to say hi and that I have a 3 1/2 yo male basset named Dudley ( will get pic's a bit later) He is a tri-color AKC registered Basset and weighs a whopping 75 lbs. and healthy and as strong (if not stronger) than an ox! In his puppy years I fed him Nutro Nature's Own or something like that, until the recall. Now he is strictly on Dog Chow with a can of Alpo every now and then (about 3 times a month) Can't wait to get pictures of him so everyone can see!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had been feeding Bogie Purina Pro Plan Selects Turkey & Oatmeal and Lamb & Rice for about 2-3 years. My vet recommended switching up his food between brands every once in a while, so right now he is on Loyall Lamb & Rice. It was recommended by the guy at Country Maxx since he feeds his dog that, and has fed his horses Loyall brand food for a long time. He is allergic to corn, so I always read the ingredient bag to check for corn and see where the "meat" falls on the ingredient list. I'm planning on either going back to Pro Plan Selects or trying Nutro Naturals Lamb & Rice next. I give him the pumpkin in most meals, and I've never had to have his anal sacs expressed. I've also found that it doesn't really make his poo any softer than it normally is, as someone else was saying.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thanks!![/b]
Hi. We have a 15 week old basset puppy. When we started out with her we were using Eukaneuba med breed puppy food. After speaking with the groomer, she said that you shouldnt feed bassets anything that is wheat based. She said it makes that houndy smell worse. We ended up switching her to Eagle Pack Holistic Select Chicken Meal and Rice formula. So far so good. She likes it. We also switched my 5 year old bichon and he seems to be happy too.

Sharon

·
Registered
121 Posts
I feed Louie "FORCE" by Honest Kitchen. Honestly...it is the best food I have ever had him on. While it is expensive...he eats every last bit, his coat is gorgeous, and he has lost 10 pounds and has a new spring in his step.

Lou is allergic to alot of things, and Honest Kitchen is all natural, raw food...in dehydrated form. You add warm water to hydrate it, and in 5 minutes it is ready.

I like to add all of our left over veggies to it, he especially loves sweet potato.

No more anal gland problem...no more "scooting"...

It has been 2 months, and I am seeing remarkable results in Louie...his is happy and looks great...you know he has to feel great too!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts