Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4month old AKC basset. I would like to use him as a stud service around the age of 10 months. I want to dot my I's and cross my T's when it comes to this. I am currently making a website for people to go to to get some info on my fiance' and I as well as Hank...our Basset and to see what we expect from the female and her owners and what potential females and owners can expect from us. Now..Hank did not come from a show pedigree. However, he is in good health and comes from a healthy line. Since he is still growing, I cannot say if he meets AKC or CKC standards. His parents met AKC as far as health,markings,height,weight, etc. So I would assume he will. But I am at the stage that I am making a stud contract. And I need to know what it should include. Breeding is not new to me at all. Growing up, my family owned shelties. Our female could not have pups but our male did stud 4 or 5 times. But my parents never had a stud contract. So I'm not sure what to put in there

I am offering him as a stud to a qualifying female because I feel he is and will be of good quality to sire wonderful pet puppies. Not everyone wants a show dog. We didn't. We wanted a pet/companion. But we still wanted our pet to meet standards and be healthy and come from parents that had the same. Feel free to check out the website and give me some constructive advise and criticism.
www.diamondsbassets.friendpages.com

·
Registered
773 Posts
My advice, very simply is: don't do this !

You're absolutely right that not everyone wants a show dog. However, in their efforts to breed a very healthy dog that meets the AKC standard, show dog breeders have plenty of pet quality puppies. There's nothing wrong with these pups, they just don't qualify for the conformation ring.

Breeding specifically for 'pet quality' means you're in it for the money and nothing else. In fact, it looks to me like you can't wait to get the money 'rolling' in. I'm just disappointed that you did not get a decent education before starting this venture of yours, and that you're now advertising here :evil: ........................

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did I know that you were going to say that. Probably because just about every person who has come on here wanting info has been beat to high heavens just like you did me. WRONG BUDDY!! VERY WRONG!! That was not an advertisement. Want to know why I want to breed like that. Because the people in my area that are breeding are selling their gogs for like 6 and 700 dollars. People that are middle class that want a Basset as a companion or for a family dog can't afford that. So they are stuck with crappy breeders who sale their dogs for low prices. I didnt want people to be in that boat anymore. I want to offer a great quality dog at an affordable price. And you can't tell me people aren't in it for the money. BULL!
You have to make a profit. My advice to you and everyone else on this board, get off your high horses and try to respect those like me who arent that educated about breeding. This board is nothing but a place for you people to bash people like me. I think it's WRONG!! Because I love my dog and I want to share that with others. You have no clue about me!! :twisted: This is supposed to be a place to acquire education not a bashing.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: An outburst like that will surely elevate your credibility with responsible owners and breeders alike. :lol: :lol: :lol:

No responsible breeder will breed a quality bitch to a ten month old puppy, because the puppy is unproven in every way. :roll:

The US does not need more "crappy" (to use your description) pet quality bassets. Shelters and rescues have plenty available, because there are not enough good homes for all of them. :(

Anyone who is serious about educating themselves about the breed needs to read the standard, to attend dog shows to learn what qualifies a basset as a superior specimen, talk to and work with show breeders, view publications and videos, etc. etc.

Thoughts on Responsible Breeding

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No thats not an outburst. That me being sick and tired AFTER ONE DAY OF BEING ON THIS BOARD of people getting cut to pieces because they are wanting serious info to be resonsible with their pets. And for your info, my vet told me who could stud at 10 months. He felt that once before a year old would be appropriate. Then I was told he would need to wait for another 6 months until he could stud again to be on the safe side. So lets see what else MEANY has to say!! Because I can go all night putting you and everybody else in their place!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way I wasnt saying some Bassets were crappy. The 2 reputable breeders in my area are selling their pups for like 600-700 dollars. All because they are champions. They are gorgeous dogs...but...some people don't want all of that. And so to get a basset that they can afford, people are forced to pay low prices to back yard breeders and are getting a dog that may not meet standards and may not be healthy. I am merely wanting to prevent that from happening. Because even these people who may have 1 or 2 pups thrown in a litter that aren't of show quality, they still come from a quality line and are still very expensive even though they are considered "COMPANION" animals. Now do you get?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: And that one earns you a trip to USABreeders.com. Enjoy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ETA, the "plan", as I understand it, is to sell purebred dogs cheap AND make a profit. There is absolutely nothing about this scheme that distinguishes it from that of any other backyard breeder or puppymill. Healthy, well-bred purebred dogs simply don't come cheap.

And for those wonderful folks willing to take a chance on an irresponsibly bred dog, please don't support a BYB or puppymill. Please adopt one of their unfortunate dogs that has ended up in your local shelter or rescue.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
" Probably because just about every person who has come on here wanting info has been beat to high heavens just like you did me. "
H-m-m-m. gotta wonder why you posted it here, then. Probably better boards out there for you.
Sharon Hall

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Anyone who has been monitoring this forum, like the person who started this thread, knows how most of us feel about irresponsible breeding. Anyone who's done any reading on breeding dogs knows about Back Yard Breeders and Puppy Mills. This person knew when she asked what to put in a stud contract the type of reaction she would get. People like this are flame baiters and have no interest in learning about the breed. Any responsible breeder knows that at 4 months no male can be deemed a producer of quality dogs, be they pets or show dogs. Did this person ask how you evaluate a basset hound's ability to produce healthy and sound pups? Did she mention any genetic testing done on this dog or those dogs in his pedigree? Nope, just wants to know how to write a stud contract. This is putting the cart before the horse and I say this soon to be Mrs Diamond doesn't give two hoots about producing healthy and sound puppies. Her intent in coming here was to get information on how to make some money and/or cause trouble.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I usually don't post alot on conformation and breeding because I am still learning and usually don't have anything to offer but this time i just feel I must. You ask for constructive critisiam and advice and got mad when you got it. You should have ask for complete agreement because apparently that is what you wanted. I have three bassets my first one has a limp and at one point it was suggested he had dysplsia. Well it turns out that he doesn't but I have read everything and done loads of research. Your puppy needs to have a radiograph of his hips at around 24 months to make sure he doesn't have this disease. This is a terrible painful disease for dogs that have it and when you talk about 600.00 being high for the price of a puppy, well a couple of visit to the vet will cost more than that.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I wish, just once, someone would inquire about breeding before deciding to do it. :roll: Seems those folks might be genuinely interested in education.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I agree, Betsy. Educating after the fact is such a waste of time, energy, money. And the poor dogs are the victims. I'm willing to educate in advance, but once someone starts down the road to making $$$ off these animals, I get angry.

And by the way -- I know lots of breeders of all kinds of dogs. When someone mentions the word 'profit' -- they all laugh. They're not making a dime on their dogs, but that's okay because they're working toward the greater good......

·
Registered
535 Posts
And for those wonderful folks willing to take a chance on an irresponsibly bred dog, please don't support a BYB or puppymill. Please adopt one of their unfortunate dogs that has ended up in your local shelter or rescue.
I understand why people don't like BYB, but why wouldn't you want to rescue the dog from the BYB before it has to end up at the shelter or rescue. Who knows how much the puppy will go through before it ends up at the shelter or rescue, possible torture it may go through.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
No one is "rescuing" when they purchase from a BYB or pet store--they're financially supporting an unethical (IMO) business and contributing to the euthanasia of tens of thousands of pets every year. :mad:

Surprisingly few BYB dogs and puppymill dogs remain with their original purchasers their entire lives. By supporting a BYB or puppymill, buyers are guaranteeing that there will be a steady supply of unwanted dogs that end up in shelters on the wrong end of the needle, through no fault of their (the dogs') own. :cry:

But hey--if someone feels their own selfish interest in obtaining a cheap dog from a BYB is worth the gratuitous killing of tens of thousands of unwanted pets every year, there's not much anyone can say to change that mindset. :roll:

·
Registered
535 Posts
But hey--if someone feels their own selfish interest in obtaining a cheap dog from a BYB is worth the gratuitous killing of tens of thousands of unwanted pets every year, there's not much anyone can say to change that mindset
I'm new on the forum and just trying to ask questions and understand where you are all coming from. I don't see any reason for you to respond in the matter you do.

I never said I wanted to obtain a cheap dog from a BYB and I said I understood why people feel as they do about BYB. I was only looking at it in a different way and asking why, if you knew the puppies from a BYB were going to end up the way you say they will would you want them to go through all that and end up in a shelter before a good family adopts them. When maybe, just maybe even one of the puppies might just end up with a nice family from the beginning and never have to go through that. All you had to do is explain further how by "rescuing" the puppy from the BYB would be supporting them and encouraging them to continue breeding. I do understand that now, but I didn't need you to get mean about it. I am not intending on breeding my dog, nor am I intending on buying a dog from a BYB. I was just asking a question to understand why you felt it was better for them not go to a family directly from a BYB and instead wait until they end up in the shelter and adopt them.

Maybe if some of you on this site were a little more understanding of others who are trying to learn and ask questions, no matter how dumb they may sound and answered them in an honest but nice way you might actually get more people to understand. I have been reading a lot of the post regarding this subjects and what I have noticed is when some of you try to get your point across it's not working. Instead you’re making people feel stupid and make them angry so you’re wasting your breath. You might actually get more people to understand and listen if you just lighting up.

I really enjoy reading all the post here and trying to learn as much as I can and in most cases people are very supportive and kind. But when I read the post regarding BYB's the post get very ugly and I just don't think you’re getting your point across as you would like by responding that way.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
The tone is intended to have people take notice, which they do, according to the number of views and posts these sorts of threads receive. :)

I've been on internet lists for basset lovers for about 10 years now, and people are definitely getting the message about BYBs and puppymills. Day in and day out, it seems we're tilting at windmills. When I think how far we've come in ten years, the fact that many, many more people even know what BYB's and puppymills are, let alone why they should be avoided--it's very encouraging. :)

ETA--the statement bjsibba quoted from my previous post was not directed at him/her personally.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Maybe if some of you on this site were a little more understanding of others who are trying to learn and ask questions, no matter how dumb they may sound and answered them in an honest but nice way you might actually get more people to understand. I have been reading a lot of the post regarding this subjects and what I have noticed is when some of you try to get your point across it's not working. Instead you’re making people feel stupid and make them angry so you’re wasting your breath. You might actually get more people to understand and listen if you just lighting up.
As Betsy said many more people know about Back Yard Breeders,Puppy Mills, and Reputable Breeders than before the advent of forums like Cyberhound. We've also promoted Rescue as a great source of wonderful pets. So why don't you hang around for a while and get to know us before you decide that we're mean, make people feel stupid and wasting our breath. I wouldn't be so quick to make such generalizations based on a few posts.

BTW Welcome to Cyberhound!

T

·
0 Posts
Some people get the points we're trying to get across and others don't get them because they don't want to. Usually its the ones with dollar signs in their eyes. Just my opinion.

Janet 'n Twinkie ("Grrrrrrrrr")

1 - 19 of 19 Posts