Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the short story. My husband has a friend that works in law enforcement in another parish. He called DH yesterday about a call on a pit bull roaming the neighborhood. Pit Bulls are illegal in this parish, so if this girl was sent to the shelter, she would have been euthanized. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

So, knowing that we are animal lovers, he automatically call us. Of course, we say we'll take her until we find her a good home. She's about 5-6 mths at best guess, and an absolute doll. She's going to the vet later this week to be heartworm tested and make an appt to spay. So, although she's not a basset, I thought I'd give her an introduction here until we can find her a good home.

Here she is making herself right at home in my daughter's bed!

Checking out the back yard! Notice the powdered donut on the side of her face. I couldn't turn her down when I was having one of my no-no treats for breakfast, but she wanted to play with it more than eat it, lol.

We also need a name for this girl, but I'm drawing a blank! So, we've been just calling her "girl"! I'm definately not at my most creative.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
She has such a gentle expression in her eyes. I sure hope she finds a home where she's treated well. Good for you, for saving her. :)

Sandy

·
Registered
775 Posts
She is a beauty. She does have a sweet expression. She looks really at home in that bed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
She is really cute. I have had pitbulls growing up and they are very sweet dogs. I think it's just the way people raise them that give them such a bad rep. I think a cute name for a sweet girl like her would be tinker bell. I would love to have a dog like her if I could. I have my handsful with my little hound dog though. I hope everything turns out good for you guys.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Love that pinky nose!!! :D
how about "Molly" or "Sadie" or "Dixie" for her new name?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update!!!!

My father-in-law has a friend who currently has 1 pit and was looking to add another to the family soon. He says they are a wonderful couple and treat their current dog like a baby!!! We are going to meet them tonight, but if all looks good, it looks like she may have a forever home already. I'm so excited for her.

I let you all know how the meeting goes. Keep your fingers crossed for this sweet girl; I hope it's as good as it sounds :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Pretty

I really hope all works out for this lovely girl.

We had a pit growing up and he was an awesome member of the family. It is just sad that the breed is paying the price for the short-comings of those who mistreat them.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
The local pitbull rescue has been selling shirts to raise funds that say "Don't Blame the Wrong End of the Leash". Hope everything works out and that you can find her a good home- she's beautiful-

C

·
0 Posts
What a sweetie!! Bless you for rescuing her, I just know she will get a family of her own... thanks to YOU!!!! :)
Keep us posted!!

C

·
0 Posts
Happy to hear that she may already have a home,
I would suggest calling her Hazel for those pretty eyes.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Pitbulls

It's realy sad to see how some breeds of dogs get a bad reputation because of the way people raise them.

We have 3 pitbull terriers in the neighbourhoud. 2 are real dolls, playfull, and they't rather lick you to death than do any harm. The third one, well, he's being raised as an attack dog for whathever reason and people stay well away from him when his owner (a 16 year old boy) walks him.

Bulls are a more 'difficult' bread, but 99% of the way the dog will behave is education.

A 4th Bull Terrier had to be put down as he attacked an old man's yorkshire terrier before heading for the old man :(

Patrick[/i]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's official..."Girl" has a new forever home.

We visited the couple tonight. My father in law was right, they were complete dog lovers. They had an older pit bull, but he was a complete baby. After a supervised introduction, the two were playing together like old friends :D

I was a little sad to let her go, but I knew she was more than I'd be able to handle. She was a super sweet girl. They are keeping her vet appt. and taking over all of the expense.

I have to admit, I was a bit taken aback by the guys appearance, lol. Tattoos up both arms (I know, I know...means nothing ). I was checking them out and noticed one of a pit on his arm. I had to ask him about it, and it was a portriet he had done of his first pup who had gone to the bridge at a ripe old age. He then starting pulling pics out of his wallet of him and their current baby. I have to admit, I think he had more pics of his babies than I carry altogether.

She's going to have a great life :D

Thanks guys for all of the name suggestions. Luckly, she's found a great home already and they will have the honor of giving her a name.

(You guys wouldn't believe how fast word got around that I was looking for a home for this girl. Interesting how fast most people lost interest when I told them I'd adopt her out after I had her spayed :evil: This couple had no interest in breeding her, and it was obvious that their boy was already neutered. I had no problem letting her go to them on good faith that they would have her spayed)

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Sounds like a very happy ending! :D

We met a pitbull female in the park long ago, and she was a sweetie.
She was so fond of plastic bottles, that she jumped up on the table, kissed
me to distract me, and stole my bottle and ran into cover :D
I thought I had a photo of that - but can't find it.....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Congrats on getting that beautiful dog a good home. I know what it's like when a breed gets maligned. I owned a dobermann for years, and he was an absolute gentleman, very quiet and calm and yet people constantly told me they were very afraid of him because of their reputations. And yet when I asked people had they ever met one before they ususally said no. :roll:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hurray!!! What a happy ending! She deserves a good home and YOU found it for her. :D

·
Registered
813 Posts
We had pit bulls for years and years and the only one we had any problems with had belonged to someone who used her to train his fighting dogs (which we didn't know when we took her -- we thought his dogs were his babies, like ours were). They're the sweetest, most affectionate dogs in the world and want nothing more than to please their person. So if their person wants them to fight and be mean, of course that's what they do. If you want them to be sweet, they'll do that. Easiest dogs to train I ever encountered, too. I didn't even have to housebreak Rosie -- she just figured it out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts