Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Byron had some kind of skin issue a few months ago. We noticed small sores under his chin, spots on his ears were losing hair, and he had this hedious cyst above his eye. Our vet perscribe an antibiotic. Now he has a sore by his mouth; it is red and nasty looking. What is this? It this going to be an on going problem for us?

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
are you using plastic food and water bowls? if so, you might want to switch out to metal or ceramic. I've heard of dogs developing funny stuff around their mouth area which completely cleared up once the plastic dishes were given the kibosh.

if you're not using plastic, never mind! :) but good luck and hope you find a solution soon.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, we have metal bowls. I'm going to watch him for the nex few days, then take him to the vet. I hope this isn't a chronic problem. :cry:

·
Registered
11 Posts
This may sound odd, but my Basset, Cassie has some "funky" stuff where her dewlaps hang down over her mouth. It may sound gross, but they looked green at one point. I am assuming it was a fungus, especially because the area is always moist. It did go away on its own. She does have terrible problems with her armpits, red raw chin, etc. Have you ever had Byron tested for allergies? It sounds like it could be some type of allergy. I am far from an expert...just an owner whose seen her share of many skin problems with Cassie. Have you contacted your vet? Also, had you changed Byron's diet in any way before you noticed these symptoms?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Sounds like it could be a lip fold infection. Drool, water, food, other junk--all collects in the folds around their lips. Then, there is skin breakdown followed by infection. If it gets bad enough, it should be treated with antibiotics. Once the infection is cleared, you can keep things under control at home by cleaning the area daily. I use a combination of 1/2 alcohol: 1/2 vinegar to clean, and it works well.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for the advice. I will be taking Byron to the vet and will take your advice with the daily cleaning. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts