Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to seem like a real strange post, but all i want to know is what color is my Basset????

After owning the sweetest and beautiful tri-colored little girl for 16 years, she went up to the angels. So last weekend we adopted 18 month old Eclair from a local shelter. I am not sure if she is tan and white, red and white or what-would someone take a peek at a picture and let me know what they think?

BTW-she is a ham, definatley missing a few marbles, is so full of piss and vinegar she makes you laugh till you are in tears, a brilliant counter surfer, and fastest garbage can emptier in the Midwest. In a nutshell shes everything she should be but not everything she could be-either way we are in love!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
I am not sure if she is tan and white, red and white
from coat color genetics tan and white or red and white are the same thing. Normal basset nomenclature would be red and white.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
BTW-she is a ham, definatley missing a few marbles, is so full of piss and vinegar she makes you laugh till you are in tears, a brilliant counter surfer, and fastest garbage can emptier in the Midwest. In a nutshell shes everything she should be but not everything she could be-either way we are in love!
LOVE IT! LOL I often say that Annie has worms in her brain and her every move is like those of a bull in a china shop. They truly are some funny dogs!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Eclair is lovely and is red and white like mine... who also pinch food they can reach. :D I hope you will have many years of fun with her!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Wow, you are so lucky to find such a great basset hound at the shelter. Congratulations! BYW, I love her name!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! She is a lovely girl that lost her home to a divorce I'm afraid. Has some manners to learn, but is taking it all in her stride! Its just so funny that she is so opposite to my Chloe that passed in October.

She came with the name Eclair, her body is so long that she looks like a chocolate Eclair! I don't have the heart to change it, although I think she would make a good Ethel (always wanted to call a Basset that)

Basset.net is a great resource, so glad its so active

·
Registered
878 Posts
Thanks guys! She is a lovely girl that lost her home to a divorce I'm afraid. Has some manners to learn, but is taking it all in her stride! Its just so funny that she is so opposite to my Chloe that passed in October.

She came with the name Eclair, her body is so long that she looks like a chocolate Eclair! I don't have the heart to change it, although I think she would make a good Ethel (always wanted to call a Basset that)

Basset.net is a great resource, so glad its so active
You could call her both... mine get called several names and they answer to any of them, especially if there are the same number of syllables and the tone of your voice is similar! If you always liked Ethel, then call her Ethel (Ethel Eclair could be her full name).

We have often changed rehomed Bassets' names over the years and they get used to them pretty quickly!

When I got my current sisters at 9 wks, I wanted to call them Maisie and Daisy but changed my mind as they sounded so similar but I do call them those names at times and my OH sometimes calls them Letitia and Charlotte (Lottie and Lucie's 'Sunday names' as he says) as well as Dotty Lottie and Lucie Locket and they answer to them all, especially if they think they're getting a treat!

·
Registered
608 Posts
My guy came with his name too. I wanted to call him Claud instead of Toby, but like you I thought it would confuse him. Wish I had now as he answers to several different names. Boo Boo and Dumpling being the most popular. In fact it is really only the vet who calls him by his proper name.

They pick new names up pretty fast, especially if there are treats given out when they answer to them. FWIW, I love Ethel, and think it's a great name for a basset. My favourite name though for a girl would be Florence.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts