Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering buying this puppy. Breeder says he is lemon but not sure if he is a brown and white
Thanks

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Many people have their own ideas about lemon/white vs red or orange/white. Brown and white isn't generally a 'recognised colour' within the breed. From the look of that puppy, he is a lemon and white. Like the tricolours, red (or orange) and white tend to lighten as they age, unlike lemon and whites, which start off 'white' with brown smudges, which darken. And then return to almost white in old age as our Ben did. If you are buying from a reputable breeder, they should know about colour within the breed!!

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
like Franksmon say lemon/white vs red/white is in the eye of the beholder Unless of coarse the breeder sells rare lemon and whites at a higher price then al redand whites become lemon and white. For me it is too dark to be a lemon and white, ! would call it a red and white. We Called the entire litter red and white

Vina's litter

Lightest one in litter as an adult (bottom) right
Faith

Darkest one in litter top Left (pumpkin)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes that color is lemon and it's usually more expensive than tri-color because they are not as common of a color. Solid red bassets which look more brownish red color are also a more expensive color and not as common as tri-color. I'm my eyes all bassets are equally beautiful but I have always had the tri-colors myself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
color should not play a part in pricing if it does you are not dealing with a reputable preservation breeder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts