Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am new here, I currently have 2 bassets, Trooper, and Annabelle. We brought Trooper home from his breeder when he was 10 wks old, he has been playful and loving ever since the first day here. Annabelle we just got a little while ago, she was a year and a half old, her previous owners had 2 other bassets and a newborn child, and they said they just could not keep up with all of them. So anyway we have her she will sometimes come to me no problem, but other times especially if my husband or little boy are within her sight she will not come at all. We have had her for about 3 months, the dogs do stay outside, I go out daily to play with them my little boy goes often and my husband sometimes, we bring them in, but she tends to still kind of shy away from us, and just go hang out by herself. I have noticed though when I let them out to run, she does stay with Trooper, so I am pretty sure they have bonded, but what can I do to bond with her more? I feel so sad for her. Also I have been doing a lot of reading in the past couple of weeks about the breed, but I cannot seem to find the answer to this question, what exactly is the difference in just a regular basset and a appalachian big foot basset, I know there paws are larger but what other than that is different? Just curious.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Dealing with shy dogs is tough. There behavior is self reward so if left on it own tends to get worse not better. How to deal with the problem is way to long to post or write in this medium But I do have a few books on the subject I can reccommend

CAUTIOUS CANINE, 2ND EDITION

"How to help dogs conquer their fears with desensitization and counter conditioning. Step by step instructions to help you dog get over his fear of unfamiliar people. "

and HELP FOR YOUR SHY DOG

counter-conditioning requires an keen understanding of dog body lanquage. the following can help

CANINE BODY LANGUAGE, A PHOTOGRAPHIC GUIDE

ON TALKING TERMS WITH DOGS: CALMING SIGNALS 2ND. ED.
"Turid Rugaas is a noted expert on canine body language, notably "calming signals" which are signals dogs give to other dogs and humans to denote stress and to attempt to defuse situations that otherwise might result in fights or aggression"

and the companion DVD

[ February 23, 2006, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: Mikey T ]

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I've near heard of an Appalachian big foot basset. I'm wondering if the term is used like "French Basset" or "English Basset" for a basset whose conformation deviates considerably from the breed standard in at least one aspect such as very fine bone or height as in the case of the below dog. This BTW was the only reference I found to Appalachian basset-

I think making her more a part of the family by allowing her to live in the house with you will do wonders for her feeling more comfortable with you, husband and kids.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
"Appalachian Bigfoot" may simply have been someone's kennel name. As far as I know, it has no more meaning than that.

[ February 23, 2006, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Betsy Iole ]

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Betsy is right about there being a kennel named Appalachian. There was a Appalachian Big Foot borne in 1973 and an Appalachian Big Foot II born in 1991. From their pedigrees they don't appear to be related but I'd have to do further research to say that with more accuracy.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Appalachian Bigfoot\" may simply have been someone's kennel name.
]

Hmmmm looks like the moderators didn't search the old threads. ;0

If One does THE SEARCH there is an Applachian Bigfoot thread started June 05, 2005 which is unfortunately no longer available. I mention it because I am sure as sure as old man with deminished capacity can be, their was a really good explaination of where the terminology came to be. As I recall the kennel was "bigfoot" which was located in the moutains of Tennesee that is no longer opperating. Decendents are often referred to as "appalachian bigfoot" basset.

are old threads archived or just tossed into the e-file garbage heap out in cyberspace?

[ February 23, 2006, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Mikey T ]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replys!
Mikey T - the info you provided on the kennel being located in the mountains of Tennessee, makes perfect since. I am in Tennessee, and the only time I have ever heard of Applachian Bigfoot is when someone has been advertising for the sell of pups in the paper, or if I have spoke with other basset lovers in this area. So it would make sense that some of the pups are being advertised as Applachian Bigfoot if they are from around this area.
Thanks again to all, for the great info!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Appalachian Bassets was a well known breeder at least up to 1995, I think they still breed.

Appalachian Bassets
Betty M. Karnes
2113 Manor Road
Knoxville, Tennessee 37920-2831
(615) 577-8784.

They named the dogs Appalachian as a first name and then the individuel name, like Big Foot, Big Foot II etc etc.

I have 22 dogs in the basset pedigree from that breeder.

[ February 26, 2006, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: Steinar, Emma and Doris ]

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
BTW - Turid Rugaas is Norwegian and lives 10 minutes away from me. :D

ON TALKING TERMS WITH DOGS: CALMING SIGNALS 2ND. ED.
\"Turid Rugaas is a noted expert on canine body language, notably \"calming signals\" which are signals dogs give to other dogs and humans to denote stress and to attempt to defuse situations that otherwise might result in fights or aggression\"

·
Registered
137 Posts
We have Daisy who we raised from a pup and JD that we got as a rescue at probably 7 years old. JD didn't bond at first. It took a few months and then all of a sudden he was more like Daisy. They are inside dogs and I think that helps them to feel more like a part of the family.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i have the similar issue with Daisy. she was beat pretty bad by her former owners ( she was a shelter dog). All i can do is just play with her and love on her.. in time she will come around i hope.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts