Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that dog food topics have been discussed generally throughout the board, however I would like to see some of the opinions of my fellow basset hound lovers on what you like to feed your basset. I will start first.

Me and Fred have had the dog food BLUES! It was very difficult to find Fred some food with great nutrition, without corn or wheat that he liked. He was having houndy odor problems, frequent pooping, along with soft stools because of the food he was eating.

Well, I switched him to Nutro Max and he liked it, but it was really busting my pockets real bad. Fred LOVES TO EAT and run, so paying over $40 for a 33lb bag of dog food was becoming expensive.

I finally found a dog food that he loves that does NOT contain the ingredients that would be bad on my dear boy Fred. Fred is NOW on Diamond Naturals - Lamb and Rice, which contains absolutely NO CORN OR ANIMAL BY-PRODUCTS. For a 40lb bag, the cost was $26 WHICH IS WONDERFUL! :lol:

Fred loves it and his stools are small and firm, plus he doesn't poop as much (only twice a day).

Please share what brand of dog food you feed your basset and how it has been beneficial to your pup!

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Baxter eats Nutro Max vennison and brown rice and he loves it. I just paid $33 for the large bag. I used to feed the dogs Diamond brand until it was reported that dogs were dying from it. So I decided to stick with Nutro.[/b]

I was afraid of both Nutro and Diamond because of the pet food recalls. Now, I make sure that the date on the packages are no earlier than September 2007 and I don't give him canned wet food anymore from any of the brands listed in the recall. For a treat, I get Fred a package of ground beef, cook it and mix it with some of his dry kibble. :lol:

Also, I only buy Fred's food from Petco just to be on the safe side.

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Snoopy and Vanessa are on Nutro Max currently, we used to have them on the more expensive Nutro, but switched when Vanessa went to adult food and snoopy lost most of his weight. They love the nutro brand, use to only be able to get snoopy to eat Kibbles n Bits homestyle in the past, which led to a lot of his weight issues.

We get our Nutro at Petsmart and I don't recall even the more expensive Nutro being more than $35, we pay about $27 to $30 now.[/b]

You all are blessed, because here in Memphis its $40 for a 33lb bag. We have a food tax here and its about 10%. They just raised that tax a few years ago and it affects ALL food.

· Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I forgot to mention something wonderful about the Eukanuba FP (fish and potato) that Ruby's been eating her entire life....it makes her coat just GLEAM.

People often comment how beautiful her coat is.

All those omega-3 fish oils are what's good for her.

It does give her fish breath tho....but I'd rather have that then her normal breath in my face.

:p

Here's little Ms. Gleaming-Ruby

[/b]

Ruby is just one GLEAMING BEAUTY! and Woof! from Fred. If Fred met her, he'd try to make her his wife. :lol:

Here's Freddy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.