Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of treats do you give your basset? Soft liver treats? Beef jerky? Dog biscuits? I'll go first. I give Fred gourmet doggie biscuits and I can't remember who makes them. They were given to Fred for Christmas last year from his doggie friend, Kramer (mom) who is an Australian cattle dog as a present. It was a very big bowl of biscuits and he still has not eaten all of them.

Also, from time to time I will get him a big bag of Begging Strips and he does BEG for them, jump for them, sit for them, roll over, and all kinds of stuff for them. :lol:

Once a month, I give Fred a can of Salmon or Sardines, mixed with his dry kibble and he absolutely LOVES IT and will lick the bowl. It is a good ole boy treat that also helps to keep his skin lubricated in the cold months. (I know, I spoil my Fred but I can't help it :p )

Please share what treats that you give your basset.

·
Registered
140 Posts
One nice treat I found in Colorado is Chummie Yummies, it's a salmon treat.

My dogs love fresh salmon and salmon skin. I would watch out for canned sardines and salmon because these can be very high in sodium.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One nice treat I found in Colorado is Chummie Yummies, it's a salmon treat.

My dogs love fresh salmon and salmon skin. I would watch out for canned sardines and salmon because these can be very high in sodium.[/b]
I do. Most of the time when I feed him fish, he drink lots of water and I let him run in the backyard until he gets tired.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Bogie Carter loves the INNOVA "health bar - baked dog treats". They are rectangular bars about 2" x 1" and are wheat free. We also use the Old Mother Hubbard oven baked dog biscuits.

·
Registered
932 Posts
We use the Innova bars too.........our dogs love them. Solid Gold also makes some good soft chewy treats. I'd nix the beggin' strips if I were you....they have artificial coloring, and may even have sugar in some form. Freeze dried liver treats are very popular at our house too.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yogi and Gunny get Bil-Jac liver treats once in awhile. Most days they get Lamb and Rice, Peanut Butter or Steak flavor cookies but I can't remember who makes them. They also get dried out turkey hot dog cookies which are great for training. They get really excited when I make them. I am going to get some of those Innova bars and see how they like them. Nice to mix up the cookies now and then for some variety.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
What type of treats do you give your basset? Soft liver treats? Beef jerky? Dog biscuits? I'll go first. I give Fred gourmet doggie biscuits and I can't remember who makes them. They were given to Fred for Christmas last year from his doggie friend, Kramer (mom) who is an Australian cattle dog as a present. It was a very big bowl of biscuits and he still has not eaten all of them.

Also, from time to time I will get him a big bag of Begging Strips and he does BEG for them, jump for them, sit for them, roll over, and all kinds of stuff for them. :lol:

Once a month, I give Fred a can of Salmon or Sardines, mixed with his dry kibble and he absolutely LOVES IT and will lick the bowl. It is a good ole boy treat that also helps to keep his skin lubricated in the cold months. (I know, I spoil my Fred but I can't help it :p )

Please share what treats that you give your basset.[/b]

Have you tried the 3V Caps (omega 3) instead of giving Sardines and Salmon? I give Yogi the 3V Caps for his skin in the winter months and now I am going to keep him on them year round since they are supposed to help with allergies as well. I give him one in the morning and one in the evening. It does take awhile for them to work. I think it takes a couple of months so I start them in August or September for him but like I said this year I decided I am going to try using them all year round in conjunction with other things to help with his allergies.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you tried the 3V Caps (omega 3) instead of giving Sardines and Salmon? I give Yogi the 3V Caps for his skin in the winter months and now I am going to keep him on them year round since they are supposed to help with allergies as well. I give him one in the morning and one in the evening. It does take awhile for them to work. I think it takes a couple of months so I start them in August or September for him but like I said this year I decided I am going to try using them all year round in conjunction with other things to help with his allergies.[/b]
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts