Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Bassets and was wondering what everyone here feeds?How and how often do you do there ears.I clean everyday with a warm wet towel what do you do?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
welcome! i feed my barney chicken soup for the puppy's soul. i had fed my previous dogs purina and i can really tell the difference in barney's coat and general health. guess it's all about the corn and fillers in the grocery store kind. i hadn't realized that there was such a difference but my retreiver and beagle were always itching. if only i had known. good luck with your basset...have patience and enjoy.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
What anyone else feed is immaterial the only thing that is important is how your dog does on a particular dog food. There are many people that love wellness I have tried different formulation etc on three different occassion with different dog and every time I can not think it would be possible to have a worse experience. Does that make welnes a sucky dog food no just not the right one for me and my dogs.

see Dog Foods - Help in making the choice easier
best gernal resource for common sense factual info on feeding dogs

My dogs tend to do better on what I consider medium grade foods. Not the best/priciest stuff (Innova, California Natural, Canidae) but not the really cheap stuff either (Hi-Pro, Dog Chow). Remember price has nothing to do with what might work for your dog. Just because a food is listed in a magazine as their 10 best, doesn't mean its better than another food that isn't listed. They do no testing of the food, they base their opinions on the ingredients. My dogs have not done well on any of those foods. Think for yourself and don't get brainwashed into thinking you are a horrible pet owner if you don't buy these foods for your dog.

it's all about the corn and fillers in the grocery store kind
There is nothing inhearently bad about corn it is a fine ingredient often better than what many super premium brand substitute for it. But there is not much that get my IRe up when discussing dog food nutrion than the term filler. Ther is no ingedient liisted on the bag called filler so what is it exactly. something that has no nutritional value? the closed thing to that in any dog food would be Fiber but it is still required for color health and proper stool formation. I think for the most part when people say filler in the end they are on believeing marketing hype and two trying to disticquish between good carbohydrates in dog food and bad. and such a distinction does not exist. First from a dogs perspective and AAFCO guidelines you will never see carbohydrate conttent list on a bag of dogfood because dog don't reuire it. Axtual that is not entirely true the the amaount require is inconsiquential . So why do dog food manufacture use carbohydrates because they are cheap substitute for something perhaps but not really. They use carbs because they have to. In order to produce kibble and have it stay together you need starch ie charbohydrate. It is required in the manufacture process. So what dog food manufacture and marketers (because many super premium brand do not manufacture) to differentiate themselves in the market place co on marketing campaigns demonizint the carb chioce of other manufacture and hyping there nost of the time with little trueth. ie dog can't digest corn ture if it is not cooked but well it cooked in dog food and easily digested. Corn cause food allergies. um no more so than chicken, beef, lamb salmon or any other protein It is protein that dog predisposed to a food allergy become allergic to and it is the proteint they are exposed to the most that they ussually become allergic too. As a matter of fact most grains are more nutritious than the so called better for dogs grain feed food. A but grains are not a natural part of a dogs diet yous say, so potatos and tapioca are? That is what you get when you examine they hype.

I will leave you with one thought though. As human we are tought to eat a varied diet because of the lack of knowledge that exist in nutrition that we can not say with certantee which are the best foods etc by eating a large variety we avoid potential excess and shortage of nuttrient that role up to this point we dont know about.

Contrast that with the marketing hype of just about ever dog food manufacture on the planet, Keeping in mind we knoe less about dog food nutrition than people nutrition. Which is Feed one food exclusively foor life. Does that really sound that healthy to you. There is also growing evidence that allergies in predisposed dog can be stoped from occuring by rotaing diet and protein sources that is not feed the dog the same thing over and over again.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
How and how often do you do there ears.I clean everyday with a warm wet towel what do you do?
When most people talk about ear cleaning they are talkinhg about cleaning the ear canal. I asume using a warm wet towel you are talk the ear flap I don't find it necessary to clean them that often just about never if you keep the ears dry. Which can general be accomplishe by giving water in a spaniel bowl wich is shaped like a volcano wide base narrow top the ear dont get in the water ckeep the ears oout of the food if you moiten kibble of feed moist or canned food as well.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Mikey's right re: the food, and prob makes sense to rotate among brands.

Just to give u some examples (because we were overwhelmed by all the choices too when first picking food for Worm):
1. right now, he is eating Solid Gold Large Breed Puppy Food.
PETCO.com - Solid Gold Wolf Cub Large Breed Puppy Dog Food customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings
I will probably keep him on that until 1 1/2 - 2 yrs old.

2. We also like Chicken Soup for the..... Soul, like Barney.

3. And we also like Merrick's food. Turducken, in particular. In fact, we just discovered their wet food-- has meat that's not ground up in it, which we like. There's actually a chicken wing or a chicken thigh in the can. Merrick Pet Foods - Dry Dog Food

Worm gets a bath weekly after his daycare visit. because of that, we clean his ear canals (pour solution in his ears) once/week after his bath. he got bad ear infections (yeast, i think) in both his ears after a bath was done elsewhere & they got water in his ears. so that's why we are vigilant about this, per vet's recommendation. these days, we also put cotton in his ears during his baths and when swimming, to reduce chance of water in ears. just don't forget about them and take them out afterwards!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Annie is currently eating Rotations food, only available through direct order. We rotate through the varieties but I think she may have a chicken allergy so we probably won't order that variety again. Previously she was on Beneful and then Purina Sensitive Sysytems and Purina Smartblends. She was often sick (diarrhea, vomiting) while on all three of those, though markedly improved on the Sensitive Systems. Since on the Rotations she has slimmed down, her coat is beautiful (when there aren't fleas all up in her business), her poop is perfect, and her energy level is amazing. Oh, and the incidence of intestinal distress is almost non-existent (knock on wood!!!).

Having said all that...many dogs do very well on the Purina foods and Beneful (also a Purina food I think). Like the others have said, different dogs do well on different things.

I also give Annie a scoop of wet food at each feeding (twice/day) and try to give her a good variety of flavors (minus chicken). My newest fav wet food brand is Tiki Dog...it's like putting a real piece of fish on her food! And the good thing is that she loves it too. This is accompanied by yogurt in the AM and veggies in the PM.

As for the ears, we are in the middle of using Zymox daily to treat her cruddy-lookin ear holes :) It seems to be working, no more scratching at the ears or shaking her head. Generally I use a baby wipe to keep the rest of her ears clean.

·
Registered
972 Posts
i used to clean bowser's ears every few days, with some cotton balls and ear cleaner, but i just found the miracle cleaner for our humid area....foot powder! his ears are spotless, no goo at all!

i'm doing simply nourish food right now ...so far it's great! was doing california natural (good) and then holistic select (really good for daisy's digestion, but bowser still had skin issues) he's doing great now and simply nourish is a bit cheaper....yay!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Roger I would be careful about cleaning with water. I think it would be better if you were to use an ear cleaner. There are many out there. I like Clean Blue and I had another one that was about the same. I also think there is a home recipe for one about the same out there some where. I have been through some very bad ear problems and I can't say I have never cleaned with water I would also dry them with the hair dryer after.

As for food I am not a fan of foods with corn in them, I don't go crazy but if they are at the top no way some even have them twice, dog food company's like to split them up so it looks like it's not all corn. Do some research and learn what is good and not good in dog food. As in you want meat by name chicken, beef, or venison not meat by products.So you want a food that at least has say meat by name or meat meal by name if it says by product or animal digest stay away, far away. Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts