Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read so many pros and cons on those big raw soupbones (around 1 1/2" in diametre), does anyone have any opinion on them or information? I give them to Francis once in a while but I wonder if they're all that safe.

·
Registered
12,937 Posts
Do too various names depending on supermarket policies many of the same items go by different names. I am going to assume what you are refering to is what I call a marrow bone. a beef bone of one of the limb bones cut to 2"-4" sone time more long.

The marrow content is high in fat. This can upset the balance of a dogs diet, cause gastric distress and even pancreatitis. As with any natural bone they are not industructable so depending on how strong a chewer the dog is they may or maynot be safe. Fisher the harrier can break this bone to pieces. Toughy who is not much of a chewer couldn't careless for the bone once the marrow is remove. I only use the ocassional as training rewards. They are kept frozen which slows the removal of the marrow and only while under direct supervision. They are not without risks but for most dogs the risks can be managed effectively.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts