Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well what an arvo........ :unsure:
Firstly why is it always AFTER noon on a saturday that dogs get sick???????????? :blink:

I noticed Beswick Basset looked RATHER FAT this arvo, felt his tummy and it was tight as a drum...uh oh BLOAT

However he had none of the other signs I usualy have seen, his gums were fine, he was walking about, did a wee etc....but thought better ring the vet! Got onto my usual dog vet...he suggested walking him up a hill to see if the gas may come out...if not to try the local vet hospital as he was unavailable this arvo.

So did the walk...no better...so went to vet hospital. Beswick was doing the most horrendous stinky farts...4 windows down in the car....GAWD and he was sick once..all positive signs IMHO....anyway get to vet...yep thinks its bloat...stomach tubes him....he was a very good patient :rolleyes: but releases no gas....tried bigger tube...still no joy...

Next is Xray to see if any evidence of torsion....things are looking gloomy.... I get sent out....Xrays taken...vet calls me in for a look....stomach in good spot, no gas...but HEAPS OF FOOD....fermenting.....so injection to make him vomit most of it up..........man did he barf...and STINK OMG........anyway seems mr piggy basset had a trip to the kill pit last night and ate himself silly......

Hmm...have 1 v tired and sorry for himself basset at home and VERY light pockets.......norty boy as skulked under the house to sleep his ordeal off......I have a headache!!!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Poor Beswick! Sure hope he is feeling better now!
I say that all the time, why, why, why must the dogs get sick when the regular vet is closed?
I am suprised that the vet didn't do an xray first.........I had to take Yogi in once for bloat and after the vet checked him out (emergency vet, of course, after hours :rolleyes: ) the first thing they did was give him an xray where they determined his stomach was really blown up with gas. After that is when they did the tube and all. The funny thing is the emergency vet was really surprised at how much gas was in there. By the time we got Yogi into the vet he was acting a little bit more normal but I know my dog and I knew something was horribly wrong with him so I did say we should do the xray just to make sure. Good thing that we did! He ended up having to stay overnight and we were able to call and check on him throughout the night. One sign that Yogi did not have was a distended stomach (not always present in bloat) but he did have the other signs. Such an awful, scary thing to go through! Of course now I am always worried about bloat with Yogi.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I thought it was probably something to do with time rather than a sabbath-like observance, but I wasn't sure :lol: :lol: :lol: !

Now, dare I ask what is kept in a "kill pit" ? :blink:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought it was probably something to do with time rather than a sabbath-like observance, but I wasn't sure :lol: :lol: :lol: !

Now, dare I ask what is kept in a "kill pit" ? :blink:[/b]

LOL Murrays Mum...ask away....my paryner Ken works on this property of 1000 glorious acres and the house we live in is part of his package. The owners ammongst other enterprises breed Alpacas( they are the largest breeders in the southern hemisphere) the "kill pit" is where all deceased stock are dumped....ewwwwwwwwwwww

1 - 7 of 7 Posts