Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This story has upset me very much as I could never imagine having any of my Bassets taken away from me by gun-toting police/RSPCA and I'm sure that the law/police etc should be out catching murderers and drug dealers not taking away a woman's 12 or so Basset Hounds that she's spent many years looking after!:(

Imagine having a pack of Bassets and you have to choose the 12 that will be taken away and goodness knows what would happen to them! I would be absolutely HEARTBROKEN. Surely all of these dogs that were being looked after, would tehn need rehoming somewhere or the other, when there are already hundreds of Bassets crying out for homes!!!! :(

I've copied a small part of the story. More here: http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/07/21/38327.htm

A breeder of basset hounds claims gun-toting officers from the Pennsylvania Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals broke her heart and "decimated" her pack of dogs, seizing 12 of them after illegally searching the dogs' heated barn without a warrant, and threatening to "return with television cameras."

Wendy Willard sued the PSPCA and two of its officers, George Bengal and Tara Loller, on constitutional charges in Federal Court.

Willard, a retired public school teacher, Ivy League graduate and volunteer for conservancy organizations, says she "has loved and worked with sporting hounds for more than 40 years."

Willard says she is an "internationally recognized" breeder of dogs known as the "Murder Hollow Bassets." An Internet search this morning turned up a trove of comments on the case from dog groups.

In her 26-page complaint, Willard says she has spent tens of thousands of dollars to care for her dogs, $30,000 on the heated barn she built for them, and has raised 17 litters of "highly regarded hounds."

Willard's attorney Emily Bell told Courthouse News that Willard, a cause célèbre in some dog-breeding circles, is "a really lovely woman who has endured some pretty terrible things" at the hands of the PSPCA. Bell is an attorney with Clymer, Musser, Brown & Conrad, of Lancaster, Pa.

The Murder Hollow Bassets get their name from a grisly 19th-century triple homicide that occurred near the dead-end, single-lane, wooded private road where Willard lives.

Until July 27, 2009, Willard lived in her home with a pair of older hounds and another 21 dogs lived in the $30,000 heated barn she built for them on her 2-acre Philadelphia property, which includes "100-foot runs and an exercise area," according to her complaint.

But Willard says her world was turned upside-down that summer day when a group of gun-toting PSPCA officers paid an unannounced visit and asked for permission to enter the barn.

"When Miss Willard refused them permission to search without a warrant, the officers and wardens temporarily left her property," but not before an officer "threatened Miss Willard that if she did not consent to a warrantless search of her property, the group ... could return with television cameras," according to the complaint.

"Rather than seek a warrant, the officers and wardens, however, simply entered the adjoining property of her neighbor, crossing from that property's grassy area to trespass onto the wooded area on Miss Willard's property," according to the complaint.

Willard says the manager of the 340-acre preserve next door had told the PSPCA officers they were trespassing, but the officers responded "that they did not care and that as PSPCA agents they would go wherever they pleased and do whatever they wanted."

"From their trespassing vantage point, the wardens and officers observed the fenced-in area behind Miss Willard's barn and spied on Miss Willard as she went about her daily chore of cleaning her dogs' exercise runs," the complaint states.
Warrants were subsequently issued "in spite of the fact that the officers and wardens had observed no criminal activity from an area in which they were not authorized to be," Willard says.
The crew returned at about 5 p.m., handed Willard a search warrant, and raided her dogs.

"Miss Willard's hounds had sensed danger and begun to bark," the complaint states. Willard says the PSPCA crew searched and photographed her barn, and a fleet of eight law-enforcement vehicles parked outside her home.

Willard says defendant PSPCA officer Tara Loller falsely accused her of violating Philadelphia's "Limit Law," which prohibits having more than 12 dogs in a single residence.

THERE'S MUCH MORE ON THE LINK: http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/07/21/38327.htm

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Thanks for bringing this story to our attention. I had not heard it before. I did a cursory look on the internet, but found another side to it, too, though.

- Terrierman's Daily Dose -

Here's a quote:
"The short story is that Wendy Willard and the PSPCA went to court yesterday, and Ms. Willard lost after a judge looked at the pictures and heard the evidence."

And there is also an unimpressive picture of a basset from the kennel.

I'm not in a position to say what the truth is. Except that someone could love dogs and mistreat them at the same time. I'm not sure being an Ivy League graduate ensures that someone will take good care of dogs.

After seeing how Bubbad painstakingly took care of one litter and how much work it was, Worm's breeder had 4 litters at the same time, with something like 40 puppies at once, and a lot of adolescent and full-grown dogs. Personally, I would not be sad if her dogs got taken away from her, even if she says she loves all of them and they mean the world to her (they probably do). People will say breeders are often money-driven. To be frank, I'm not even sure she was making that much profit from the dogs, when i saw the car she was driving around in.

All i can say is that Worm was very, very sick when i got him, and almost died from pneumonia. He couldn't even breathe. If one doesn't have the ability, time, or resources to make sure your dogs (be it 1 or 50) meet a minimum level of health and quality of life, that person should not be allowed to have them, that is my opinion. Love is not enough, and I don't know if true, but this situation may be a case of that.

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
actually this occured over a year ago you can find much about the event searching "murder hollow" in the political forum. There is suposedly a civil complaint going forward in the siezure and this story is the result of filing that case. What is really sad is the PASPCA insistence of nuetering a 11 year old left only 11 out of the 12 initially siezed to be placed. A couple of the hounds were co=owned / owned by another pack in NY the details are sketchy and they were never given access to or had them returned to them

as far as Mrs Willard losing that is far from the truth when all charges were dropped. What is at issue is whether there was an involunatary siezure or if Ms Willard voluntarily surrendered the dogs. The tactics used by the PSPCA are common in that that threaten criminal action and siezure of all animals to get the owners to volunatrily surender animals There are several pending cases in the PA supreme court and federal courts on these and similar tactic used by PSPCA and refusal of some PSPCA officers to return animals as well.

This is the problem will Animal curelity enforcement in this country and many others in that state, fed, and local athorities turn ove police authority to private entities that have an agenda that is not the same as the public interest. Hell if the were not the enforcement agency there shelters would have been shut down years ago as they have rampent infectious disease inssues every year.

MS willard was not a breeder, She is owner of Murder Hollow basset pack. These are hunting organizations in the manner of Foxhound hunt packs in UK just to be clear. The premise of the siezure was first that She was in violation of the Newly inacted PA dog law but since she had less the 25 dogs that was not the case. The siezure was because se had more than 12 dog in violation Philly law. But Philly law clearly state 12 dog in a Dwelling unit and vast majority of these dogs were not in what Philly defines as a dwelling unit. This law has been on the book many years but still the Nurder Hollow Pack predates it. Return Inspection of facilities was immediately following 6" rain fall a Philly record which is again a common tactic to make unusal circumstance seem the norm.

There really is not much for un biased info. FWIW search "terrimans' blog for bassets and/or hunt clubs and the bias becomes obvious. just as those like Sportsman club etc that have a distaced for the PA dog law. on the other side.

There are many of us that are relying on the Opinion of one Barbara Wickland well know basset authority, BHCA akc representitive and starter of the TriState basset rescue. Who has seen the dogs. Seen the photos been to Murder Hollow and recommned that BHCA support Ms Willard against PASPCA

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
boy y'all should hear about the stuff we have going on 'round here at OUR local shelter. it's just awful if true. shelter employees constantly being brought up on animal cruelty charges. the latest is about one lady picking up a family's pet pit bull--a nine year old named "Kapone." She picked up the dog in the doggie paddy wagon with another dog. only one was delivered to the shelter. rumor mill suggesting that our public shelter employees are picking up pitts and then selling them to folks that may be using them for questionable purposes. despicable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Be cautious about defending situations near Lancaster, PA

As a PA resident, I am more aware possibly than some of our readers of the problem with puppy mills in the Lancaster area. PA recently finally passed overdue legislation protecting dogs in puppy mills and mandating improved conditions. Many puppy mill owners are fighting these new regulations. Lancaster is the home to many Amish, who as a group are the country's largest offenders as far as running inhumane puppy mills. I would want to know both sides of this story before coming to this woman's defense.

There are also people who hoard animals. They have a sickness which makes them think that they are caring for the animals when the animals are truly neglected and need medical care.

I don't know anything about this particular situation, but I think it is unwise to pass judgement without having all the facts from BOTH sides.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I am aware of the Murder Hollow debockle(don't know if I spelled that right)They picked this lady to make some sort of example of that I hope comes back to bite them in the butt. Wworm,if I had visited your boy's breeder I would have reported her to anyone and everyone that would listen.She cannot possibly love all those dogs.I know what it was like to raise one litter of 8 to be social and love people.Her dogs would have to be almost on the wild side and if your boy was sick think how many others were probably sick as well.How in the world would you even keep all the paperwork straight? I held my puppies almost every waking hour of eveyday since they have been born.I slep beside them.This is not directed at you personally Wworm's dad/mom but besides you how many other people visited her place and walked away and did nothing,that is just sad.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well I don't know what to think, but if the poor Bassets have not been looked after properly, then the owner deserves to have them removed and rehomed where they'll be loved properly. I can't bear to think of gorgeous Bassets being neglected or used constantly for breeding or being left for hours on end on a concrete floor with no comfy beds to lie on! :mad:

Not sure if I should read any of this or not! http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&xhr=...gc.r_pw.&fp=1dbf7a2ff2a335cf&biw=1238&bih=627

http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=25266&pid=313852&st=0&#entry313852

I was out last night with my two Bassets on the beach and a lady came running up to us saying "those Basset Hound facess are to die for" (I have often thought when people say something is to die for - like a rich chocolate cake - that it's a weird thing to say), but I know what she means!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
I hope she takes the PSPCA to the cleaners.

The BHCA sent a representative to check out the situation (someone whose opinion I trust) and she recommended that the club support Ms Willard. The dogs were not neglected or abused. The photo was of a elderly dog with scars on her face from hunting in close cover (NOT ticks as claimed). It had been raining hard for over a week. Any of you an the board who have cared for a very sick or elderly dog will know how bad they can look - even though they are receiving the best of care. And if the dogs were in such terrible condition, how is it that they were able to be altered and adopted out almost immediately?
The very thought of having dogs taken like that, and not knowing where they are or what became of them, just makes me sick.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I was a little concerned at first when I heard that Gandy's breeder had 25 pups at once, but I found out it was an accident. She had flown the dad in from Nova Scotia to breed with one of her girls, and he had his way with a second female that wasn't supposed to be in heat. One litter of 10 and one of 15 came within 48 hours of each other. Puppies that come in November here, overwinter inside. Her husband had a long stare, and could only say, "the puppies, the puppies." I think he was ready to start giving them away at the 7-11.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts