Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He may soon be mine...comes from a very reputable breeder, I thoroughly checked it out. He's almost three. His name is Moose. Is he cute or what???

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
OH, I love his coloring. Who's his breeder? He's very, very cute :) Who is his breeder?
Sharon Hall

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
He's very cute, and funny with the asymmetrical coloring over his eye - can't remember to have seen that before!

But he looks slightly fiddle fronted on the picture, is he that?

·
Registered
181 Posts
He is a cutie. Reminds me of the dog in Little Rascals. :)

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steinar, I'm not sure what you mean by fiddle fronted?
Is it a flaw? A serious one?

I haven't met him in person yet. The lady is taking more pictures of him on the weekend. updated ones, so I'll have a better look at him.

Sandy

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
The front legs are supposed to be vertical,
if fiddle fronted, they are tucked in under
the dogs chest, making it look fiddle shaped
when you look from the front.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Steinar. I looked it up, but can't find too much info. (that I understand)
Does it cause problems later on in life, for them?

I only want to love him, not breed or show him, so does it matter?
I think he is so cute. Reminds me a little of Huck. :)

Sandy

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sandy!!! How totally cool! I am wild about his markings! How long have you had this up your sleeve? When could you get him? More info please!!! Congrats!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Don't misunderstand me, Sandy - I don't want to be a party pooper!

First of all, I can't really judge him out of one picture,
and I have to say that a fiddle front isn't something I'm
used to spot - since that's not a normal fault here. If you
have more pics, I'm sure Miriam or Mike would confirm or
not confirm it.

I don't think it's a fault that would necessary cause any big
problems for the dog, but as you say - it will disqualify him
from showing and breeding. That's no big deal for you, but I
just wonder how a "reputable breeder" could come out with
such a frontend, meaning will he have other defects?

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Interesting markings! Who are his father and mother?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have that info yet. from what I understand, even good breeders can occasionally have a pup born with flaws. I think that's why he stayed with the breeder.

I went looking for a rescue, so perfection is not important to me. Bo isn't perfect in confirmation, yet he is the sweetest, most loving hound I've ever owned.
I was directed to this fellow, by a woman who raised showdogs in Alberta for over 30 years.

She has a great deal of respect for this (small) breeder, and said he should have a wonderful temperment, as he comes from good lines.

He is almost three years old, and the breeder is willing to let me have him for almost next to nothing, because she is thrilled with him coming to my home.

She is retiring from breeding, and her and her husband both have full time jobs. She wants him to be where he can be with people all day.

So, I will get more info from her today, and more pictures. But his name is Moose, and I live in Moose Jaw. Don't ya think that it's meant to be???

Sandy :D

·
Registered
813 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with his front legs, it's just the way he happened to be standing, and as you said, you just want to love him, not show him. I think he's adorable.

T

·
0 Posts
Whaddya Think

Sandy, I absolutely think Moose is meant to live with you in Moose Jaw! I say go for it. He's beautifully marked, and conformation doesn't matter. You'll love him regardless.

Janet 'n Twinkie

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Sandy, he's very cute. I wouldn't let the bow legs scare you if you do not plan to show. Spencer is very bow-legged. When he was a pup, the vet told me he may be more prone to arthritis because of it. Well, Spencer is almost 10 years old, and the only problem his legs have given him, is every once in a while, he stumbles. So far, no arthritis in them.

Here's a picture of his little bow-legged self.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts