Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think a lot of people know that we lost our Grace a couple+ weeks ago. We were (are still) heartbroken but we do have a new Basset to love. We got her shortly after Grace passed, and I guess I have been putting off posting because I feel so guilty getting another so fast. We just thought it would help, and she really has! Nothing replaces her of course but focusing on the new pup is a wonderful and welcome distraction.

I was looking around, even a little before Grace was gone, to see where I could rustle up a Bi-color Euro pup anywhere near us. I was not having much luck. Then, out of the blue, while laying in bed browsing the internet on my phone of all things, I found a breeder 3 hours from me. The pups were whelped October 13, which still made the pup 13 weeks, however the close distance was enough for it not to matter to us. Besides, what's 3 weeks, right? OHHH boy, she is huge! She is a beautiful Red and White Basset girl. Dad is from Scandanavia and mom is 1/2 Euro 1/2 American. She looks just like her daddy, and she's very dense like him too. In fact at 13 weeks she weighed in at 30 pounds! Her grandparents/greats are from the Switherland/Von Hollandheim lines for the most part and her Gramps has a ton of champ titles to his name. It doesn't really matter though, because we do not plan on showing her (although she is show quality) and we will not be breeding her.

She is also VERY smart. In a little over a week she has learned to "go to bed" (she lays on her bed) She is retrieving, she comes when called and responds to "come", she knows what "no" means, she cries at the door to go outside and she gives "kisses". :)
She is also very social and loves everyone/everything, so we are hoping to get her Good Citizenship certification and bring her into nursing homes for pet therapy. So for right now it's general obedience classes, puppy parties and socialization like crazy. :) Sooo, just wanted to share that with everyone, especially those that have been so supportive to us over our loss. Here are a couple photos! Sorry, She moves/wiggles/wags a lot so they are not the best. LOL

Her name is: "Ireland's Lucy In Love Of Grace", and we call her Lucy. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Congrats.......very cute Ms. Lucy is indeed :)

·
Registered
973 Posts
What a doll, she's going to be a big girl

·
Registered
973 Posts
My advice if you'd like to do therapy work with her is introduce her to new situations with strangers a lot. So take her to Petsmart and walk around, and ask around for any restaurants or coffee shops that will let you sit with her outside. A lot of the CGC test is making sure the dog can handle situations that may be stressful (throwing a chair/loud noises, someone in a wheelchair, remaining calm around strangers, etc). If you live near a big city there are almost always dog related events going on, try meetup.com.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
There is nothing cuter than a baby basset hound! Congratulations...she's gorgeous.

As for getting a pup so close to losing Grace, well, each person is different. I knew within a month of losing my dog that I wanted another. Was Grace your only dog? Mine was and losing her left an empty hole. Lucy isn't a replacement, just a new friend :)

I love her name! Again, congratulations :)

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
She is a beautiful girl, I love her markings!

Every person is different when it comes to getting a dog after losing one. I got Boomer about 10 months after my Daisy passed on, and I still felt a little guilty about it. Then I realized, like MollyMcFrecklesMom said, Boomer wasn't replacing Daisy, just a new friend (and family member).

·
Registered
878 Posts
Lucy is gorgeous and is probably related to my Lucie and Lottie because their dad is one of Phil Freer's
champion Switherland Bassets! Which Switherlands are in your Lucy's family?

·
Registered
761 Posts
She's so cute!!! Congratulations on your absolutely adorable addition! I want another one but we can't afford to have another one right now and Virga is still definitely in the puppy stage of her life. I think having another even younger puppy would cause me to pull my hair out! Plus the house we're renting is pretty small. Three dogs would definitely be pushing it.

And like everyone else has said. She's not a replacement for Grace. She's a new friend for you to love. Only you would know when it was time for a new dog. Good luck with your new pup!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
She's absolutely beautiful! There is no time line for getting another dog, nor should you feel guilty about getting another one so soon. I was very lonely without a hound and got one much sooner than what I had thought I would. Everyone is different and what suits one person may not suit another. Congrats on your pup! Hope to see a lot more picture and read of her adventures.

·
Registered
18 Posts
She is beautiful I am so happy for you. I lost my dear Alex in Nov,he was 14 broke my heart,it was the frst time in 25 years I was without a Basset Hound. 2 weeks later my husband asked me what I wanted for Christmas I said a Basset Hound puppy and he got me Barney we both fell in love with him,I still miss my Alex but Barney has made us so happy and I know Alex would be happy that another Basset Hound is getting as much love as he did.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Congratulations on your new best friend, Lucy. She's beautiful and you're so lucky to happen upon a great find so fast. You shouldn't feel guilty, the basset angels knew just what you needed. As for me, I am still waiting to find a match. We had some other stressful stuff going on in our family this past year so I think the basset angels were waiting until we got passed all that. We're ready now................, so I think it will happen soon!

Thanks for sharing your good news and posting the pictures.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thank you everyone for your enthusiastic replies! :)

Sophie, your girls are gorgeous, and they look a lot like Lucy! Her Maternal Grandparents, and greats, are Switherland Design, Switherland Designer Jeans and Switherland Desert Orchid. Are any of those in your pup's pedigree? That would be a riot! The Rockstar in Lucy's family was her Grandfather Bassbar Danilo (Paternal) who apparently won a boatload of titles in Europe.

Oddly, when I was doing a search for her Grandpa I stumbled on this sibling (Angus) of Lucy's. They found the pictures to go with the Pedigree chart, so pretty neat. Caribou is also Lucy's daddy. Diferent mama though, but from the same line a generation forward. Our Dam is 1/2 Von Hollandheim (paternal) and shares the same grand maternal line. So Angus is 1/2 Euro and Lucy is 3/4 Euro. Whew! Probably TMI, but typing it out helped me sort it. LOL

Angus

Kirska, thanks for the heads up! We plan on doing just that. :)

Sally, I hope you find the one for you! I think we hit gold with Lucy, you will too! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts