Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
We have an elderly, healthy but blind Basset Maggie. We cautiously brought a puppy in almost a year ago (Annabelle). It worked out OK but the puppy basically annoyed the stuffing out of the older one, who frequently just yelled at her to leave her alone (well, barked I guess). We lost Annabelle in January, and promised each other no more dogs for a long time. But, the hole in our heart from Annabelle (Diamond victim)just had to be filled so we are expecting a new pup in May. We feel bad for Maggie because being blind, putting up with a rambunctious puppy is difficult. However, we generally were successful at keeping the puppy at bay, although sometimes tormenting Maggie was just too much fun. We'll see how this goes. Of course, since we lost Annabelle Maggie gets WAY more lovin' than ever before, and sometimes acts like "Hey, just leave me alone!" She is a sweet dog but since blind the world can frustrate her.

In the past we have had two Bassets closer in age and frankly, they seem to be happier. They can play and keep each other company. However, those vet costs, boarding, etc., can become hard at times. I do believe the success depends on how they're introduced and also the basic personality tendencies of the dogs. Good luck!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts