Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Roscoe was nearly 2 when we adopted Gretchen from a great basset rescue (BHRA). We knew he needed a sibling when we dogsat for some friends and Roscoe had such a good time.
Roscoe and Gretchen met at a gas station where we had decided to meet. It was like they had always known each other. No problems at all.

I say go for it if you are ready. Keep in mind you will have to pay more for treats, medication, vet visits. The love is priceless.

If our house was big enough and we had more money I would have many more bassets.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think it helped that my two are only 4 months apart. Dozer was with me when I picked Digger up, so they met on neutral ground. Dozer is social with other dogs, so he took to Digger right away. Digger was very shy around other dogs and people, but that had to do with where I got him.
You can't seperate them now, if one goes out, the other has to follow.

A

·
0 Posts
We adopted Pearly when Sabian was only 6 months old. Everything went fine. Funny but for a really long time she was HIS dog. She bonded right to him... not to us. I remember telling the vet I had a hard time bonding with her because she wanted to be with Sabian all the time. But soon after we did bond and I love her to death. Part of it is her personality. She is very rarely a snuggler. Sabian always was and still is. Good Luck! yvonne

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I got Spencer when Sadie was about 1 1/2. I got them from the same breeder, who wanted me to bring Sadie to their house to meet Spencer & let her spend some time with him. I did, & they got along great. It was no problem when I brought him home later. The only thing I had to be careful of was making sure she did not hurt him accidentally. She wasn't mean, just a full size dog & he was a pup. She didn't always know her size & sometimes would lay on him or be too rough playing! I agree with HallofHounds - everything is doubled with 2 - double the food & vet bills, double the poo & dog hair, ETC, but also double the love & fun!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have 4 and would have more if it were practical.

Georgia came to me in NM from Ohio, so I had to have her flown out sight unseen. But from the second she and Elvis met they were (and are) almos inseparable. I took Elvis with me when I met Ginger to make sure he approved. And Maggie, our newest basset, is from TX. Elvis & I took a rode trip and met her and her first family. It worked out well and she is now in her forever home.

One is great and it just gets better from there.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Having one or two is just the same amount of work, I think.
Usually the first dog will teach/guide the second dog (sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a bad way).

We got Henrietta first and after 1 year, we decided that she needs a companion. So we got Winston. Winston learned things around the house from Henri (eg. find a doggie door, learned to shake hand, our habits, etc.).

To introduce your first and second dog, you have to find a public area, like a park nearby, or on a sidewalk (somewhere that is not the territory of the first dog). Let them sniff each other, settle a bit, then take both for a walk around, then take both of them home.

The only problem that I encountered was Henrietta felt insecure with her "first" dog position in the family, because we paid so much attention to Winston at that time (he was in such a bad condition from abused and neglect). We solves the problem. We took a dog obidience class at PetCo. We needed to be educated.
Happy ending at last....

O

·
0 Posts
Well, I don't have two bassets, but I do now have a 2 dog household. Oscar is 8 yrs old and at first was displeased with Murphy. Basically he would just try to run away from the puppy who just loved Oscar and wanted to play. However we're going on day 5 and things seem to be improving. Just yesterday they were both in the yard and Oscar initiated playing with Murphy. So I think things will work out in the end. Just have patience :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
We have an elderly, healthy but blind Basset Maggie. We cautiously brought a puppy in almost a year ago (Annabelle). It worked out OK but the puppy basically annoyed the stuffing out of the older one, who frequently just yelled at her to leave her alone (well, barked I guess). We lost Annabelle in January, and promised each other no more dogs for a long time. But, the hole in our heart from Annabelle (Diamond victim)just had to be filled so we are expecting a new pup in May. We feel bad for Maggie because being blind, putting up with a rambunctious puppy is difficult. However, we generally were successful at keeping the puppy at bay, although sometimes tormenting Maggie was just too much fun. We'll see how this goes. Of course, since we lost Annabelle Maggie gets WAY more lovin' than ever before, and sometimes acts like "Hey, just leave me alone!" She is a sweet dog but since blind the world can frustrate her.

In the past we have had two Bassets closer in age and frankly, they seem to be happier. They can play and keep each other company. However, those vet costs, boarding, etc., can become hard at times. I do believe the success depends on how they're introduced and also the basic personality tendencies of the dogs. Good luck!

A

·
0 Posts
Maggie and Pixie(the mutt) were 6 and 7 years old when we got Mollie. They'd been the two dogs forever and were inseperable! Mollie was a little hard for Maggie to get used too. But Pixie was/is the motherly type of dog and would play with Mollie and sleep with her. It took some time for Miss Maggie to like Mollie. But now with Mollie almost a year old they are all 3 inseperable. Maybe we didn't introduce Mollie right to the other two and that is what took so long, because we did it all at home. Maybe next time I'll try it another way.

But two bassets are a lot of fun to watch and have. Sometimes I don't turn on the TV because they are very entertaining to watch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts