Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought Dudley a harness so I could get him ready for our walks. I thought a medium size harness for a 12 week old Basset would be good for a month or so. I'm guessing the manufacturer figures any dog over 20 lbs is a large dog????? He'll be lucky it fits the next time we go for a walk.

And what I found out today, this is not going to be easy taking 3 hounds for a walk. :huh:
I thought I'd take the boys for a short walk down the block and back, since Dozer & Digger haven't gone for a while, and to get Dudley use to going. I had two big hounds pulling me forwards, and the little guy behind me, not sure what we were doing. Soon he took off after the other two, but was mad because he couldn't go more than his 16 ft leash would let him, compared to the big boys 24 ft leashes. (I knew I should have bought another long leash too)

What I really need, is a leash made for a 200 pound dog, and tie the 3 hounds together on the end. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's some "we are tired" pictures:

:) UPDATED with additional picture: :)
After his nap, Dudley had to get his dinner to go. :D

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
In those pictures, did Dudley just collapse from exhaustion? :) When Spencer was a pup, he would lay down in the strangest places, in the most unusual positions & fall asleep at the drop of a hat. It always used to make me laugh. Now at age 12, he can still fall asleep at the drop of a hat, but he chooses more comfy places to sleep. ;)

·
Registered
782 Posts
When Francis was a pup he would all of a sudden just collapse. I call it the "Franny Flop"
Gee, you're a bold soul!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
:) What a trio!!! :) You are indeed brave, walking three. Our daughter just rescued a second Greyhound and is working through the challenges of walking two and not getting tangled up or pulled down. I can't imagine walking three "bulldozers" who are trying to out do each other and get there first!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
535 Posts
That does sound like a handful. I have an attachment that makes it possible to walk 3 dogs at once using one leash. We usually only use it for the 2 hounds, I tried putting our Miniature Pincher on as the 3rd dog but she is so much smaller that she just gets trampled on by the hounds. So I just hook the 3rd strap on to the center ring so it doesn’t drag. If I'm walking the two hounds by myself I will use this and it works good to keep them from tangling and they seem to pull against each other a lot which helps to cut down on how much pulling they do with me. A lot of times Sadie will sort of act like an anchor with Max. She is so much heavier then Max and he will be pulling wanting to go faster and Sadie walks at slower pace (more my speed), my husband always jokes about how she is like an anchor for Max. Here is a picture of it and the next time we go for a walk I will try to get some pictures using it with the hounds. I took it out to get this picture and the dogs went crazy thinking we were going for a walk now.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Wow I can't imagine walking 3, walking my 2 is hard enough. I like the "exhausted dog" pictures...looks a lot like my 2 when we get back from our walks. As far as that leash attachment, I'm going to have to look into one of those for my 2.

~Heather

·
Registered
535 Posts
Here are a few pictures of the hounds on the double leash. I forgot about getting the pictures until we got back from our walk. I went in and got the camera and tried to get them to walk down the road some so I could get a few pictures but Sadie was so tired she wouldn't leave the drive way. You can see in the one picture where Max is trying to run ahead but Sadie's so tired she wouldn't move, so he wasn't able to go far.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
After reading this thread this morning I went to Petco and bought a double doggie leash for my 2. I took them for a walk to test it out and it was quite funny. My girl Lily is very dominant and poor Gibbs got dragged along for a lot of the walk. :lol:

~Heather

P.S. I was reading on the back of my double doggie leash that an 11 year old invented it...WOW!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bjsibba, I like the idea of the 3 hound leash, but they take turns marking things when we walk, so I don't know if it will work. And I actually tried a double hookup leash when I first got Digger, but he and Dozer just got tangled up.</span>

·
Registered
56 Posts
Seeing that puppy laying down with the harness on reminds me of the first time I tried to walk Alice when she was about three months old. She didn't like the leash and would just lay on the ground. We made it to the end of the driveway after about five minutes of trying, and my mom stuck her head out of the door and yelled "Bryan, are you taking your dog for a nap?"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts