Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all haven't posted in a while- had a bit of holiday

The reason im posting is that we had to put Wellington to sleep on Monday.

Our boy had 2 huge rocks in his tummy again.

Im heartbroken!!! and so is my husband...

to ease the pain a bit - my husband was so great and got us another basset puppy - we called him Softie!!! because of their soft natures

will send pics soon...

want to also place a pic of our great great adopted soft boy Wellington - but cant bear looking at pics of him now.

will chat soon...

love
Simone.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I'm so sorry about Wellington. We also have a rock eater, Bogie, who is two years old. He has had three rock eating incidents. One in June 0f 2006 and had surgery to remove the rock. We were on a camping trip and he swallowed a rock under the picnic table where grease drippings had been spilled on a bunch of rocks.

The second surgery was in Sept. of 2006 to remove another rock. We had scoured our yard for rocks, but after the cable guys came and laid new cable he found one they had dug up in the bushed along with a spilled can of pop and a piece of doughnut. We then put him in a muzzle when we couldn't be outside with him. See the recent two posts: "Bogie's done it again" and "Update! We have a rock!" for the incident this past weekend and a picture of Bogie in his muzzle.

Just curious! Did the vet do surgery to remove the rocks? I can feel you sorrow in losing Wellington, since we lost our first Basset to cancer in Dec. 2005 and left a hugh hole in out hearts. When you feel like chatting about Wellinton please PM me . Your story might help us with Bogie.

Bogie is our second Basset and a real sweetheart. His only fault is eating rocks. The vet has no explanation as to why he does this. Enjoy your new Basset puppy , and I know you will miss Wellington terribly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm so sorry about Wellington. We also have a rock eater, Bogie, who is two years old. He has had three rock eating incidents. One in June 0f 2006 and had surgery to remove the rock. We were on a camping trip and he swallowed a rock under the picnic table where grease drippings had been spilled on a bunch of rocks.

The second surgery was in Sept. of 2006 to remove another rock. We had scoured our yard for rocks, but after the cable guys came and laid new cable he found one they had dug up in the bushed along with a spilled can of pop and a piece of doughnut. We then put him in a muzzle when we couldn't be outside with him. See the recent two posts: "Bogie's done it again" and "Update! We have a rock!" for the incident this past weekend and a picture of Bogie in his muzzle.

Just curious! Did the vet do surgery to remove the rocks? I can feel you sorrow in losing Wellington, since we lost our first Basset to cancer in Dec. 2005 and left a hugh hole in out hearts. When you feel like chatting about Wellinton please PM me . Your story might help us with Bogie.

Bogie is our second Basset and a real sweetheart. His only fault is eating rocks. The vet has no explanation as to why he does this. Enjoy your new Basset puppy , and I know you will miss Wellington terribly.[/b]
Thanks everybody!!

im still uber sad and crying myself to sleep - but i hope the sadness will pass soon...

We adopted Wellington from an uber abusive house. he was hit by a car on the highway as the owners didn't look after him properly and he was found on the highway twice.

So the woman from whom i got him took him away from them.

he was covered in ticks and fleas and humped any and everything.

We had him cleaned and neutered and then brought our babyboy home.
They might have beaten him aswell as he was very afraid of any sudden arm movements and sounds.

He has eaten rocks 3 times - twice he passed them and the second time he did terrible damage to his intestines. he wasn't supposed to pass the second one. We almost lost him then - when we got home from work he was totally dehidrated from all the vomiting and couldnt even focus. so i phoned the vet from the car and told them we're coming in and i think im losing my boy. At the vet he passed it. what a miracle??!!!

We basically paved the whole backyard where he could find any rocks after this and he had to stay at the vet for a week with extreme bloody diaria. He almost died.

So we made the decision not to go through this again if he were to eat a rock/s again. His intestines wouldn't be able to handle it again and 3 times in 6 months was a bit rough. The vet also said that if we open him up everything could be infected and then we would have to let him go. something about intestine-invection. We didn't know how long he had the rocks in his stomach for.

and also Wellington was a very soft emotional dog - when we went to visit him in hospital he was sooo depressed he only slept and bit all the vets (have you ever heard of a basset biting people out of aggression) but after he saw us and realized that we hadn't deserted him - he was all happy and excited. So we knew we couldnt put him through the emotional trauma that aswell.

So we decided to let him go as he would find rocks no matter what we did and we were only treating the symptoms and couldn't cure him - unfortunately.

We also ordered a muzzle but the vet said that we couldn't let him be outside with it on allday as he could want to vomit and would then choke and die.

do you let your babe ourside with his on allday??

are you with him all the time to watch him? Have you had him since puppy age?

love,
Simone.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am so sorry for your loss. A hard decision to make. You are in my thoughts and prayers.[/b]

Thanks soo much - Monday truly compared to the day my mom was diagnosed with cancer.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Simone, I sent you a PM about Bogie to answer your questions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts