Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel so bad for not being better with his dental care :(

He developed an abcess that swelled near his back teeth, and actually ruptured before our appointment. All in all, he lost 26 teeth. Some can be attributed to the fact that he's old (12 years now), but I must be honest with myself and admit that mostly it was because we didn't care for them all that well.

I'm glad he is in very good health, enough to have the surgery make sense. I would hate to be torn between options, if he were in failing health.

He has had some trouble adjusting to eating, but of course he is a basset so appetite hasn't been a problem. What we had attributed to old age, things like less activity and more sleeping, must have been his teeth bothering him -- because as he heals he is like a younger version of himself. We haven't seen him this lively or active in his surroundings since he was maybe 8.

Just an update on ol' Marlowe.

Please take care of your dog's teeth. I'm sure most of you do, but those who could do better...do it!

·
Registered
251 Posts
That must have been quite an ordeal for your guy. I sure hope his mouth is feeling better and he is on the road to recovery. I SO believe in dental hygiene for our hounds. I brush Rusty & Stickers teeth everynight. I keep their toothbrushes in the holder with mine. I can ignore them but I can't say I forgot. They are use to it and when I call them they come running. Doing this will may prevent huge Vet bills and save them the pain of losign so many teeth. Thanks for posting his story and reminds all of us to "brush, brush brush"! :D

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Poor Marlowe! I am glad he is feeling so much better now.
I have had Yogi's teeth cleaned twice and since the last dental I have been brushing his teeth daily (occasionally missing a day, not often though). I do want him to have healthy teeth and gums but I have to admit one of my main motivations for doing it is my hope that he will not need to have them done again as he got very stressed out at the vet's last time and was still very stressed after arriving home.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yep, Toby got his cleaned a few years back. His breath was bad. Remember vet saying that tooth decay can also cause problems with the liver, heart etc.It wasn't cheap though as insurance doesn't cover it. He also said that toothpaste without enzymes wasn't very effective. I've been using that the last few years. So far so good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts