Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking around and reading this forum for over a month now, trying to learn the ins and outs of raising a basset and making sure that the breed was right for our home. We have 4 cats who we love dearly, and we want kids someday. Definitely within the next 2 years. Everyone's posts have convinced me that we are up for the challenges and joys brought by basset ownership.

That said, we brought home our sweet little 8-week-old Molly last night. She is a bundle of energy and cuteness...as we expected. She seems to whine a lot, though, and I wanted to know if this is something that is normal. She is not ill, and it's not due to a need to go outside to potty (sometimes it is and we are learning to recognize the difference). I am thinking that this is part of her adjustment phase and that with such big changes (leaving mom, dad, sisters, the only home she knew), she is just out of sorts. She is eating a little bit and drinking her water...all what I'd expect at this point. Experienced basset owners, what is your take on this?

Thanks in advance for your help. Now I must go watch her while she sleeps...too cute :)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Welcome Molly and Molly's mum. It's probably normal for such a young Basset puppy to whine because she has been taken away from her mummy and her siblings and will be missing them I should think!

We have never had a whining puppy because the only times we have had a new puppy have been when we have already had two older Bassets for puppy to cuddle up to at night and maybe as you have cats, Molly feels a bit lonely when on her own at night.

We had two litter sisters together just over two years ago and never once heard any whimpering from them because they came together at nine weeks of age and have always cuddled up together and we already had an older dog too.

Just stick with it and maybe you could wear a t-shirt to put your scent on it and give Molly it at night to snuggle into. Someone who has had a single puppy will give you better advice than I can give you but just be patient... you will find that as Molly grows older you will need a lot of patience to cope with her stubbornness!!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your insight. We've had a single puppy before, not a basset, but she was not so clingy. Not that I mind Molly's neediness, it's rather endearing. I just needed to have my mind put at ease and you've done that, SophieB.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for sharing Molly's Mom! My husband and I will be in your same position in December (hopefully, but maybe later.) I'd be glad to hear about any of your experiences :) I hope you're enjoying your first days with the new puppy, she is so CUTE!

·
Registered
12,960 Posts
but she was not so clingy. Not that I mind Molly's neediness, it's rather endearing.
Bassets are more social then other dogs they need more social interaction and do not deal with being alone so well. It is a good Idea to practice with her being alone but for only very short periods of time. It can go along way in preventing Seperation Anxiety later on

see Seperation Anxiety
Puppies and newly adopted dogs are at higher risk to develop separation anxiety if they are smothered with constant attention their first few days home. It is much better to leave for brief periods extremely often so the dog’s early learning about departures is that they are no big deal and predict easy, tolerable lengths of absence: "whenever she leaves, she comes back.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mikey T, that's tomorrow's goal. Today was all about getting her used to her new environment. She had a great day and the whining is lessening. She'll have a couple of opportunities tomorrow to be alone...about 20 minutes each time. Separation anxiety is my chief concern at this point. I teach college and am only out of the house from 2-3 hours each day to go to work. I was lucky enough to be able to schedule my semester around her puppy needs. But with separation anxiety, that can make for a very long 2-3 hours for Molly. Patience and persistence, I suppose :)

Thanks again, everyone!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Molly's Mum, I presume you're already familiar with what to feed Molly and how many times a day puppies need to be fed....

Also I think they need quite a bit of stimulation as dogs on their own get bored easily and then want to chew things up... have you thought about something like a Puppy Kong to keep her amused for a while, now and again?

Puppy Toys & Puppy Chew Toys - KONG Safety Information

Our two sister Bassets have two toyboxes with chew toys, tug toys, furry balls etc in the kitchen and in the hall so they have things to amuse themselves with when they feel like it. I don't know what it's like where you live, but most pet shops near me have balls for dogs to play with that have a string attached, which is handy because of safety for one thing!

My neighbour told me ages ago that one time when they were out with their dog, a man had his Boxer dog out too and he was throwing a ball up in the air for his dog to catch and the dog caught it in his mouth and choked on it, and collapsed and died, whereas had there been a string on it, he could have got it out so I have always been very wary of balls that fit in a dog's mouth, unless it has string on it!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, the breeder told me Molly's schedule and feeding instructions, so we are following that and slowly adjusting to fit our schedule. She's adjusting well and her true puppy-ness is emerging. She has many toys, different sizes and varieties and she seems well-entertained. It seems that her favorite game is running after me wherever I go. Nonetheless, she adapting well to her new home and her new family. She goes to her crate for naps and her potty training is going smoother than I expected:) Now if only she could get the cats to play with her...that seems to be her new mission.

It's been 12 years since I've had a puppy and it feels like I am learning all over again! Thanks for all the advice :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Charlie whined a lot too.. and still does at 8 months! She is just a whiner/chatter. But, I must admit.. I much rather her whine that bark, a lot less noisy/easier to put up with! I am sure it just has to do with adjustment and wanting to be with you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Molly

It is probaby more that she is away from her siblings and is looking for them to play or she is tired and wants to cuddle and go to sleep. Be sure she has a doggy bed that she can cuddle up in to feel warm and safe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts