Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
9,868 Posts
1. Just because you cut the rations in 1/2 does not mean the dog is still not being over fed, Keep in mind for the majority of bassets they are never really sated untill their feet can no longer touch the ground because their belly is so big. Just because the dog is hungry does not mean it need to be fed

2. Diet goes hand and hand with exercise doing only one certainly reduces results.

3. it is not fat not sugar or protein that cause a dog to get fat or anyone else for that matter it is calories. reduce calories, FWIW my active dogs in the winter when the are less active get 1 3/4 of 435 kca/cup dog food per day that around 800 a day upto 950 when they are highly active. I think you will find she is still being fed too much

4. I personnal avoid senior and lite dog food because the majority of them reduce the fact level and protein levels to very low level which given what we now no about dog nutrition is not the best for them.
Fat is a bet energy supply for dog than charbohydrates as dogs get older the us protein less effieciently so the general need higher protein levels not lower unless thety are in the throws of kidney failure. It was once thought heigh protein diets led to kidney failure but recently that assumption has been proven false.

5. My dogs would easily lose 1 -2 lbs in a week by cutting back 1/2 cup a day on their ration.

"how do you get the pictures by your names t he ones i tried were too big"
use a photoediting program and save picture to thumbnail size or between 90 - 120 pixels before uploading

· Registered
9,868 Posts
1. Just because you cut the rations in 1/2 does not mean the dog is still not being over fed, Keep in mind for the majority of bassets they are never really sated untill their feet can no longer touch the ground because their belly is so big. Just because the dog is hungry does not mean it need to be fed

2. Diet goes hand and hand with exercise doing only one certainly reduces results.

3. it is not fat not sugar or protein that cause a dog to get fat or anyone else for that matter it is calories. reduce calories, FWIW my active dogs in the winter when the are less active get 1 3/4 of 435 kca/cup dog food per day that around 800 a day upto 950 when they are highly active. I think you will find she is still being fed too much

4. I personnal avoid senior and lite dog food because the majority of them reduce the fact level and protein levels to very low level which given what we now no about dog nutrition is not the best for them.
Fat is a bet energy supply for dog than charbohydrates as dogs get older the us protein less effieciently so the general need higher protein levels not lower unless thety are in the throws of kidney failure. It was once thought heigh protein diets led to kidney failure but recently that assumption has been proven false.

5. My dogs would easily lose 1 -2 lbs in a week by cutting back 1/2 cup a day on their ration.

"how do you get the pictures by your names t he ones i tried were too big"
use a photoediting program and save picture to thumbnail size or between 90 - 120 pixels before uploading

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.