Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today when I was looking closely at Daisy's paws, I spread her toes and noticed that her feet look webbed! I never noticed it until today. Is it normal for Bassets to have webbed paws? It has been a while since I have had a Basset so I don't remember the details of what it looked like between the "fingers".

Does anyone have a close up of a proper Basset paw that is spread out they can post for me? I am wondering if Daisy is an anomaly of science and nature. I knew it was a little weird that she is ok with getting into the pool and paddling a bit.

I have her papers showing her family 5 generations back is all Basset Hounds, so I don't believe this is due to mixing with another breed.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
There is skin between the toes but not like a true wading dog,like a Lab. They may seem webbed but I think you are just noticing the skin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Basset Feet

We have two Bassets, both 3 years old, both are Mahogony and they both come from two different breeders. Both have all papers dating back four generations. One of them have feet like a Beagle or Lab, the other has FAT-WEBBED Feet. I can send you pictures if you would like. The one with the webbed feet has to be sedated to have his nails trimmed as they are very sensative.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the other has FAT-WEBBED Feet.
What are the webbed parts made of if not skin? Daisy's little "fingers" are connected with skin. There is fine fur on the skin part. She doesn't seem to mind me rubbing the area. In fact, she just gives me a look like "what are you up to?"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts