Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pups are 3 weeks old today and mom is spending more and more time away from them. Can't say that I blame her. She still nurses etc, so that is not a problem.

I've been doing some reading on the 'net about weaning them and there is a lot of conflicting info out there.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Basically when they are three weeks old I start them on "puppymush", which is puppy kibble (I grind it in the blender to make it mush easier), mixed with warm water or puppy formula. I give that to them four times a day, as much as they want to eat at one sitting, then I let the mother clean up the rest. She still has full access to them so she can nurse if she wants. I let the mother determine when to wean them - some are quite happy to let you do the work, some will continue to allow them to nurse even past the 8 week park.

You can use a flat pan, or I saw one breeder who used a muffin tin. Probably a bit less messy that way, but either way the mom will clean them up afterward.

If she seems really reluctant to let them nurse you might check the breasts for soreness or scratches, or "cakey" areas which might indicate mastitis. I cut the puppies' nails weekly from the time they are a week old so they can't scratch her.

BTW, I start deworming at two weeks, and repeat every two weeks, so if you haven't started that yet it would be a good idea. I also deworm my adults at the same time as a precaution. My vet uses interceptor for that, but your vet may do things differently. Puppies are effectively "born with worms" so the sooner you start eliminating the things the better for their health and growth.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
My last puppy was the runt of the litter, and he was 12 weeks old. He still followed his mom around trying to nurse, and she would kind of gently kick him away with her back foot.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I started the deworming at about 2 1/2 weeks. Will start feeding them "puppymush" today or tomorrow.

Some websites recommended cereal for the mush - but it seems like ground kibble would be a better choice.

THANKS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts