Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been really careful to keep an eye on the dogs and not let them be by themselves but on monday night somehow Maddie and Atticus got into a fight under the kitchen table, have no idea how it started, but it really shook up Atticus. i looked carefully to see if any bites saw none but then later saw blood on my hand so as i searched more intently saw a bite mark on Atticus neck, I put medication on it then He went to bed shaking, poor guy, by next morning he was swollen,so off to the vet we went, It was then i noticed his ear was swollen and smelled bad, she had gotten him in the ear too. grrrrrr. Anyway they shaved his spots (he was such a good boy waging his tail the whole time) lukily no stitches needed they gave him a steriod shot for pain and antibiotics for the infection in his ear. He is doing better today, but boy that was an expensive fight, so not sure what we are going to do now, can't afford another fight specially if it is anyworse and poor Atticus looks so pitiful.
We are trying to be very careful but you can't controle every second.
Maddie is such a sweet girl but a bully she just kicked Ryobi out of his bed because she wanted it.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Our doxie Gretel who passed away 3 years ago at age 14 was an alph bitch who got nastier as she got older and got to the point where she was hurting our other dogs. We kept her separted from her brother Hansel and baby Murray most of the time, and when she was with them we had her on a leash. It was awful. She died when Murray was about 8 months old, at that point Hansel was no longer under her influence and became Murray's friend, and life got a lot better for everyone. You are in a bad situation. I am not a dog behaviorist,just a person with dogs of my own, but I think you'r priority has to be protecting your other dogs from being badly injured. I hope something I said helps.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
No advice really- But sending you hugs - We've only ever had to give up one dog in our lives- but it was due to similar behavior so I can sympathize-

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gosh I have been through that. It was so hard. good luck. yvonne

·
Registered
987 Posts
Same here, we went through that as well. We had a couple of injuries as well. We just had to keep them seperated unless supervised. If you want to keep them all, keeping them seperated and supervised is about all you can do.
I wish you all the best!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts