Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here and my wife and I have 2 bassetts. My female is named Alli and she's 1.5 years old. Sometimes when she lays down, she seems to hyperventilate. It is worse after she's been active and only lasts about a minute. That minute seems like forever when she can't catch her breath. Is this a common ailment with bassetts? Buddy is my male and he is about 8 months and has not shown any signs of having the same problem. They were both sired by the same dog. The veterinarian hasn't ever seen her do it and says all her tests come back normal. Looks like asthma or allergies or something. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated. :confused:

A

·
0 Posts
My experience has been that Francis (my 5 year old) "hyperventilates" when he thinks it's too hot. He'll be busy, guarding the couch from intruders, when all of a sudden he'll start panting. I used to get all bothered but no-one ever found anything and Francis will just cycle right out of it.
I liken it to a fan in a parked car that'll kick in for no apparent reason on a hot day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
However this is not panting at all. She snorts heavily and her cheeks flare in and out. Her mouth stays closed and it looks quite uncomfortable. I wish it were only panting. It's quite odd actually.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Reversed sneeze perhaps? My Leroy does it, it seems to last forever! He snorts and his cheeks puff in and out. I just try to calm him during these episodes, pet him and speak softly to him. My vet said it's nothing to really worry about, and I don't think there's much can be done about it. Anyone else???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You. That does sound the same as what she does. She extends her neck and I always rub beneath her mouth and on her throat (probably to make me feel like I'm helping) and she soon stops. It just sounds uncomfortable and it scares my wife. "Breathe baby girl, breathe" I tell her it will pass and it does but it freaks her out none the less. I found where to post the pictures in the FAQ section. Thank you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, it sounds like a reversed sneeze. I always wondered what it was when my two would do it and then one time, Rudy did it at the vet. She told me that it was a reversed sneeze and it's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My dog Frankie, who has allergies, does this reverse-sneezing. It's a strange and somewhat scary thing to see your pup do, but you and they will soon get more used to it. Frankie will keep on walking now when she's doing this reverse-sneezing. My vet said that rubbing between her shoulder blades and/or under her 'armpits' helps, and this seems to work. She'll often come over to me during it and seek out her sneezing rubs.

It's hard when it happens in public- I always have to reassure folks that she doesn't have anything other than allergies!

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I got Flash at 4 months he would reverse sneeze alot. He is now 16 months and he hardly ever does it. I used to freak out whe he did it. My vet didn't tell me about rubbing between the shoulder blades and in the arm pits. Hmmm the soulder blades I could deal with Flash has the smellyist arm pits I have ever thought possible so I don't think I could go there

·
Registered
773 Posts
My dogs don't do this, but I've seen a few at shows who do. Their handlers gently cup their hand over the dog's nose, not so that they obstruct the dog's breathing, but in an effort to get the dog to change its breathing pattern. This usually works pretty well.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Would you believe that Ruby, the newest addition, does that? It just amazes me...

She does have allergies...she sneezes all the time. We go to the vet on Monday to get her stitches out from being spayed. I hope to get his opinion on it.

Also, noticed Lucy doing it one night a while back, but nothing since then. Hummm...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm no expert---far from it, but panting can also be a sign of pain. Our Josie's going through HW treatment and the vet told us to look for signs of pain and discomfort like heavy panting... much like when a female dog (don't like calling her a bitch) is in labor.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Stopping the air flow for just a second works very fast,or redirecting the air flow.My English Mastiff would do the backward sneez often and this worked for her everytime.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts