Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to share our terrible story with all of you because I know you'll understand how hard it is to deal with. Hannah is 9 months old and this all started on Tuesday. We noticed that if Hannah wanted to come up on the couch or bed and we would lift her that she would cry out or growl like something hurt. After checking her over we figured out that it was her left hind leg that was bothering her. We took her to the vet on Wednesday am and they said she probably pulled or strained a muscle. Her brother Maxwell, who is 1, and her wrestle quite a lot so we figured that's how it happened. The vet prescribed Rimadyl and rest. Hannah took this drug when she was spade in February so we had no concerns about it. She had half of a 75 mg tablet on Wed am and a half at around 7 that night. We noticed that one of her ears was sort of stuck up high, her face was twitching a little, and her brow was in frown. We thought it was cuz she was in pain and it would pass. At 4:30 Thursday morning she woke us up crying loudly and her whole body was violently twitching especially her head. We rushed her to the er vet which is only 10 minutes away. She had a very bad seizure when we got there. They had to give her vallum to take blood work and check her over because she was still twitching so violently. Her temp went up to 108 and her liver count was elevated. This has made the dr feel that the problem was a reaction to the Rimadyl. The hospital called Pfizer - the drug manufacturer - and they said this is rare but can happen. She is being treated with muscle relaxants and vallum. Her liver count is now fine, but her temp is down to 98 tonight. She stops twitching almost completely when she's sedated, but as soon as she has any stimulation she starts twitching immediately. She looks like someone who has Parkinson's disease. She's wearing a cone so she won't pull our her iv. It's absolutely horrifying. My husband and I can't stop crying. The dr wants to give it 48 hrs from the time of the seizure. That brings us to tomorrow morning. So, if there isn't improvement by then, we have to make a decision. We can't allow her to suffer if the dr can't help her. She's only 9 months old and we just can't believe this is happening. Our house will never be the same if we lose her. She's always been so happy, her tail always wagging, and practically licks your face off with kisses. Maxwell keeps walking around looking for her. The pain is so great that my husband and I feel like we just can't take it. I'm sorry this is so long, but I had just had to share it with all of you. Thank you and please keep our sweet little Hannah in your prayers and pray that a miracle can happen during the next 12 or so hours and she will start to improve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
We are praying for little Hannah!! I am sorry Hannah and your family have to go through this.Barney and I sent many hugs and many prayers!! We will keep positive thoughts for her to get well soon!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,240 Posts
Big BIG thoughts and prayers going out for little Hannah and you guys. How hard that must be. We will be thinking about her. Keep us posted when you can please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
972 Posts
No no no get a second opinion, get an MRI on her brain, maybe it's a spinal injury that's at the base of her neck, it has to be more than the drug interaction. : ( is there a dog neurologist that will come look at her? something you can look up for these symptoms? play "dr House" and also see if there are other doctors who will take things more seriously around!
ALso, i don't know a vet who would have given a puppy any drug like that. WHenever there's an injury or wound they tell me even on adult dogs to give BABY asprin or human BABY pills.
I would ask and ask and find someone else to help you!!

Good luck, keep us updated and you are in my thoughts!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
Our prayers are with you....I can't imagine how hard this must be. I agree with Jaleely, call and see if you can find a vet specialist to do some more tests and be sure before you make a decision....

God Bless you all and keep us informed....I believe in miracles...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
Yes, listen to jaleely! I am not a religious person, but I am saying a prayer for Hannah. My Molly is 9 mos old and I can't imagine losing her. Please seek a second opinion. It's only going to make you feel better...whatever decision you need to make.

Love and good vibes (and plenty of drool) from Molly and Winston.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
I'm so very very sorry that this is happening to Hannah and your family! We'll keep you guys in our thoughts. I also think a second opinion would be in order. Maybe it's just a coincidence that it all started after the drug? I would get other opinion for sure. Healing drool from Doppler and Virga and thoughts from my husband and I!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
Poor wee Hannah! :( I'm sending healing vibes to her.

I would also try and get a second opinion as I'm not sure I'd be confident with your vet giving that drug to such a young dog.

I do hope she pulls through as it would destroy us like it will your family if something more goes wrong for your wee baby. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Sending prayers of healing and comfort for both you and Hannah:

Creator of all the universe, we seek your help and comfort for Hannah is sick and needs your care and healing touch. Bless those who are caring for her with strength and courage and bring them peace. Amen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
973 Posts
Anabelle, Harley, and I are sending get well vibes your way. This just breaks my heart. I can only imagine how hard this is for you. I hope she pulls through.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Really Really big prayers for you. I've looked and looked online at the side effects for Rimadyl and the only reaction I can find that is consistent with your symptoms for allergic reactions or toxicity is a seizure. There is no mention of fever or continued tremors. I truly wonder if there isn't some type of infection viral or bacterial. A fever is usually the result of a something stimulating the immune system to try and "burn out" the pathogen. It's very unusual that a drug would be causing the fever. Please seek a second opinion, if for no other reason than for you're own sanity in knowing you're doing everything you can for her. Sending lots of long distance hugs!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,780 Posts
Oh, so sorry to hear about little Hannah. Definitely agree with the utility of a 2nd opinion; though reading about your situation makes me wonder how feasible it is to move her to get another opinion... she almost sounds like she's in status epilepticus, ie. constant seizures requiring constant sedation/anti-seizure meds. I would think she's getting a lot of medical support right now and that it could be hard to go anywhere with her...

We are definitely thinking and praying for you and Hannah tonite :(

Interesting, because here is a link to Caprofen, which is what Rimadyl is. It is related to Ibuprofen, tho not exactly the same. Carprofen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the comment about the vet using Caprofen on a young dog, well, i looked into this too, since Rimadyl sounded familiar. When Worm was 7 months, he got neutered, and sure enough, pulling his medical record, he got Rimadyl for 4 days, twice a day. interesting, in light of all the problems w/it. though it is true a lot of meds are like that, and they still get commonly used.
so i'm not sure it's an uncommon medication to give dogs and puppies. (but perhaps they should rethink that)

though it is just luck of the draw re: what happens. geez, if I'd known this could happen w/Worm, i probably wouldn't have given it to him or asked that he be given a different medication... i'm sorry to hear about Hannah and what happened. hope she takes a turn for the better soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
So very sorry Hannah and you are going through this, I totally agree with obtaining a second opinion. At very least have your vet speak with a regional vet school/neurologist for their opinion if Hannah could be safely moved. I will keep you in my prayers and please keep us informed. Don't give up yet, hang in there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
All this talk got me wondering...when Woody was neutered he was given Metacam...another Naisaid....the side effects are the same with all these...kidney damage, which leads to the seizures due to the toxins in the blood....How scary. On one hand you don't want your pet to be in pain but the risk is unthinkable...

And Hannah and family, I am still praying..she hasn't been very far out of my thoughts and prayers....God Bless you and please keep us informed on her...

Kristi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,338 Posts
Please update us on how she's doing and what you've found out. I keep checking in for any news. Like Kristi, Hannah isn't far from my thoughts today either.

Love and good vibes to you all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
782 Posts
We're pulling for Hannah and hope and pray that you have a resolution to her problem very quickly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Sending you both and Hannah all my best wishes and hopes that things will get better. I guess it would take 48 hours for the drug to get out of her system and eliminate that as being a factor if she had a reaction. Be interresting to phone a vet and ask whether the amount of the drug is what they would have given to a dog of her age and weight. Praying Hanah improves by your tomorrow morning. I am not sure what time that is exactly as I'm sending this from australia. Sometimes things can change in short amount of time.


Hang in there Hannah - sending you big hugs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,780 Posts
Hi Hannah's mom--

also wanted to send links to these resources. emedicine on Medscape, which is for humans, but could possibly be useful for dogs, too?

the first link shows the epidemiology and how it happens.

the second link shows possible treatment options. i did wonder if hemodialysis could be useful in this situation. could ask your vet what they think....

not sure, but wanted to send you these thoughts...

Medscape: Medscape Access

Medscape: Medscape Access
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top