Basset Hounds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi my basset is 12 and a half now he seems in good spirits wags tail still interested in his food still interested in walks even tho he doesn't go that far .He has deteriorated rapidly in the last few months cherry eye popped up in bothe eyes and I know the dryness due to not being able to lubricate the eyes causes the eyes to go blind which he has I think light sensitivity and some vision left. His teeth also got bad recently I think he would need surgery.He has always been aggressive with vet and they only deal with him sedated what's worrying me is his age as I'm told sedation/anesthesia can possibly kill them..I'm between a rock and hard place..do I allow vet to go ahead and do 2 possible surgeries ie bothe his eyes and teeth ..what are chances of him living thru it ..what if he dies horribly on the table? Or can vets give some pain meds to keep him comfortable for the foreseeable if he isn't operated on ie some antibiotics and steroids etc ?As I say at mo he seems ok not showing obvious signs of any pain but I know the progression of what will happen ..should i put him down? My son would never forgive me..but at least he could have proper closure..my son has autism and Its so difficult coz he luvs the old boy and wants me to do whatever it takes to keep him alive and I've tried to explain to him about these things but it's real tough.
I want what ever is best for my dog, but I just don't know which option is the best for him.Its all just awfull
and I've not been able to go to vets as its Sunday right now so I'm anxious as don't know what vets will say yet won't have an appointment for a few days.

·
Registered
9,837 Posts
How is putting the dog down any different than if he dies under anesthesia for trying to resolve some health issue. I personally not an advocate of euthanatizing a dog that appears to have a reasonable quality of life. If you can do something to improve that quality I WOULD do so. And if he does die under anesthesia it is no different than being euthanized.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How is putting the dog down any different than if he dies under anesthesia for trying to resolve some health issue. I personally not an advocate of euthanatizing a dog that appears to have a reasonable quality of life. If you can do something to improve that quality I WOULD do so. And if he does die under anesthesia it is no different than being euthanized.
Yes Thank-you Mikey that's exactly the path I'm going to follow ..didn't get much sleep but that's where I ended up ..at least we will have tried.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vet says he doesn't think he would cope well with anesthetic. Between rock and hard place. Wondering if it's possible for them to just administer antibiotics incase of infection etc and pain killers. Don't know yet.But it's appreciated your input Thank-you:)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Our 11 yr old Daisy is also a terror at the vet and did beautifully under anesthesia for a dental and 5 extractions after developing an abscess. Her preoperative blood work was "beautiful" and our vet didn't hesitate to do the procedure. You didn't mention why your vet came to the conclusion it wouldn't be wise for your boy. If they are simply basing the decision on age, I'd seek a second opinion. For me, quality of life would be a deciding factor. And it sounds as if he is happy and thriving. We are currently battling glaucoma in her right eye. Thankfully pressures are coming down with eye drops every 8 hrs and again my girl is happy and healthy otherwise. If we weren't successful treating her eye her vet was more than comfortable in doing another surgery to remove the eye.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our 11 yr old Daisy is also a terror at the vet and did beautifully under anesthesia for a dental and 5 extractions after developing an abscess. Her preoperative blood work was "beautiful" and our vet didn't hesitate to do the procedure. You didn't mention why your vet came to the conclusion it wouldn't be wise for your boy. If they are simply basing the decision on age, I'd seek a second opinion. For me, quality of life would be a deciding factor. And it sounds as if he is happy and thriving. We are currently battling glaucoma in her right eye. Thankfully pressures are coming down with eye drops every 8 hrs and again my girl is happy and healthy otherwise. If we weren't successful treating her eye her vet was more than comfortable in doing another surgery to remove the eye.
It was the vet nurse sorry didn't mention that ..said wouldn't recomend for his age.have yet to ask vet his opinion as yes needs to do health check to see if he up to it..if he say chances are slim.then I don't personally feel good about that came to conclusion don't want to put him through that etc...have been feeling very anxious due to finding out his life expectancy for breed is 12 and he past that..but then someone on here said there basset is 21 so I feel a little more hopefully that vet may say he stand good chance coming thru anesthesia as is what he'd need for vet to deal with his teeth.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes ..also thanks so much you have realy helped as yes our old boy also got cherry eye in bothe eye now and upon research it say 1.they can operate it has high success rate BUT that it does not stop the inevitable blindness especially if cherry eye advanced etc so you could put them thru one operation to stop the cherry eye and then later have to operate again to remove eye as chery eye in advanced stages is not something you can stop the deterioration of the sight..also any antibiotic and steroid are temporary fix..so am of the conclusion to remove the eyes as he has some vision and seems it not to bother him I think he would cope well being blind as awfull as that sounds.I do know when I researched it glaucoma is also one where it may end up you having to remove eye.But I wonder if of all the breeds that the basset is going to be the one dog that would cope well being blind as I know my dog is basicaly led by his nose .

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Re cherry eye, it is possible to massage it back ........ might be worth a try?

As for being blind, our old girl, our foundation bitch was up at the top of our back area when, to my horror, I spotted (too late) the farmer at the back spraying his crop - in a high wind. She copped a face full, enough to make her lose sight in the eye to the wind-ward side. As time went on, old age made her lose the sight in her other eye. We made a ramp for her to get into the front of the bungalow with sides which she unerringly managed to negotiate. Only once did she lose direction and was headed out the drive before I managed to leg it, and get her turned round. It was certainly scent over sight but for some reason that was the one time she became confused.

The sad thing for her was as we were returning to the UK and it was before Pet Passport, they had to go into quarantine for 6 months at which time, approaching her 13th birthday, we all felt it wasn't going to be kind to have her undertake quarantine, so we very sadly had her put down shortly before we left.

As for your other question about diet - we didn't change diet for our oldies. We might have had to feed less, and if they had a dental problem, soften the kibble (or of course, get a dental done, if possible).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re cherry eye, it is possible to massage it back ........ might be worth a try?

As for being blind, our old girl, our foundation bitch was up at the top of our back area when, to my horror, I spotted (too late) the farmer at the back spraying his crop - in a high wind. She copped a face full, enough to make her lose sight in the eye to the wind-ward side. As time went on, old age made her lose the sight in her other eye. We made a ramp for her to get into the front of the bungalow with sides which she unerringly managed to negotiate. Only once did she lose direction and was headed out the drive before I managed to leg it, and get her turned round. It was certainly scent over sight but for some reason that was the one time she became confused.

The sad thing for her was as we were returning to the UK and it was before Pet Passport, they had to go into quarantine for 6 months at which time, approaching her 13th birthday, we all felt it wasn't going to be kind to have her undertake quarantine, so we very sadly had her put down.

As for your other question about diet - we didn't change diet for our oldies. We might have had to feed less, and if they had a dental problem, soften the kibble (or of course, get a dental done, if possible).
Ahh yes sadly the right choice to put her down as it would've been very distressing to be old and blind etc in quaranteen as they do get depressed like us and the thought of them die somewhere where they are without mum And dad confused etc etc..yes is right decision. You can't massage it back in..it used to come n go but not anymore. Waiting anxiously untill his vets appointment Monday.. my son obviously doesn't want him to have his eyes removed etc but I'm trying to be realistic.. but then.maybe vet will suprise me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts