Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have experience with skin cancers in dogs?? I need some advice quickly. I'm posting this under "General Basset Hound Discussion" for better exposure. I hope it can remain here for a while, as this is the catagory that is read most often. I hope that someone out there can advise me in this area because I am scared for Dixie.

My housecleaner called me at work today, to tell me that there was blood all over the kitchen. She said that Dixie was bleeding "from her nipple". As it turned out, it wasn't her nipple ...it was coming from a blood-red mole-like thing right next to it. She has four of these spots on her underside next to or near her nipples. They were there when I adopted her in February. They were there when I took her to the vet for the check-up the day after she came to us. I disctinctly remember them but I didn't point them out, as she has other little things that we were focused on ...like her cyst on her back and the placque on her teeth and her itchy little ears. We focused on all of that and took care of it.

SO ...we had a consultation with the vet today and he recommends surgery/removal and sending them to a "histopathologist". She goes in on Monday for surgery. We're having the bloodwork and EKG as a precaution ...surgery follows. He said it will take about an hour.

We are praying that this is benign. There is a good chance it is ...but there are also many terrible things it could be. If any of you have info on this, please post or email me. Any advice is greatly appreciated on older dogs being put under anesthesia or skin cancers and treatment.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Sadie was recently diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma. She has an untreatable cancerous tumor on her spleen. I have done tons of research on this kind of cancer. Now I am not claiming to be an expert, but from what I found out, it originates in 3 possible spots - the spleen, heart or skin. What you describe sounds like what I read about. BUT, be hopeful, as also according to what I read, this is the most treatable type of this cancer & usually removing it solves the problem. I wish you well.
Amy

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
:cry: I could certainly relate to your concerns Faysie. The bottom line on benign or malignant, you really won't know until the pathology report comes back. But I had probably 50 lumps removed from my dogs over the years and only one turned out to be cancer and that was one that looked the least suspicious.

In my experience Bassets do quite well under anesthesia, even the older ones. Again there's always a risk but you have to weigh the benefits versus the risks.

As far as posting on the General Forum for better exposure you may be missing out on some valuable advice as I know some with a lot of knowledge and experience only read the health or conformation/breeding forums. There was a time before I was a moderator that I didn't have time for the General forum and thus concentrated on the Health Forum. If I'm short on time now that's where I look first. People just have to learn there is more than one forum on Cyberhound and start looking at the other forums every day. So thanks for bringing this subject to everyone's attention.

Sending positive thoughts that all goes well with the surgery. Please keep us posted.

M

·
0 Posts
I will keep a good thought for you. Maggie Mae had a red cranberry type mole on her belly that just looked funny. Turned out to be a Hemangio. We did chest xrays to make sure her lungs were clear. They were. We decided not to do chemo and hope that it wasn't traveling in her body. She was 13 when diagnosed. She never had anyone issue with that. She did develop heart disease one year later from age. She lived to be over 15 years old. Even if it is Hemangiosarcoma it doesn't necessarily mean a horrible outcome. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Sorry to hear about this but I am hopeful it will all turn out for the best. My thoughts and prayers will be with you this weekend. Give Dixie an extra belly rub from me. Good luck.

Karen

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info on the Hemangio ...you are describing something similar to what I found. If I could figure out how to post on this new forum, I'll post a pic.

I'll also mention it to the vet on Monday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts