Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know that our beloved little Ruby passed away in Sept of last year and we were heartbroken. She gave us 12 years of joy and laughter and was the light of our lives.

We rescued a 4 mo old basset in early Feb named Bruno. He had been abused and he had a lot of 'issues' which were too much for us to handle.

We gave him back to the rescue yesterday. We really wanted it to work and we hope he gets the training he needs to get rid of his behavior/fear issues.

Just wanted to let you know.

Janice

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Sometimes it doesn't work for all the best of intentions.Don't let that stop you from looking for one who is better suited for you . I understand , you just took on more than you could handle and that isn't your fault .If a blame must be ,put it where it belongs,the people who abused him. How in God's green earth does someone abuse a 4 month old puppy,had I been that puppy's breeder and found this out I'm afraid they would have to arrest me cause I would hurt them,(I know,I know)but I would want to really bad. Don't feel disheartened,try again ,maybe with one that doesn't have that kind of history. Love does not cure all. Bless you guys for trying.

·
Registered
972 Posts
*hugs* rescues can be hard. I'm sorry! I know how it is though. I rescued a mutt one time and loved him, but by the time a year had passed i almost hated/loved him *lol* i hated dealing with all the issues! My parents took him in, and over the past 6 years he's now almost normal, but it did take THAT long. For him, he wasn't a total house dog. he needed a huge yard to run in, and my parents live in the middle of no where and he likes to bark all day long. He was also afraid of men. He did the weirdest things, like not eating...and if you looked...mind you just glanced at him if he started to eat, he would run and hide in his bed and not eat for the rest of the day. He also peed on his own foot! his front leg, every single time, no matter what *lol* he would ask to go out, then go, or maybe not go potty after like ten minutes, then if i went out of the house, even to go get the mail, he'd have pooped and peed as much as he could everywhere.
there were so many other issues. but by the end i was just fed up. i cared for him but it was just not working. the humane society is also the pound (go fig) up i oregon where i was living, so i couldn't give him back. I tried to find him a home, but no one wanted to deal with his issues.
Anyway, my parents had been giving me weekend breaks from him. kind of baby sitting when i needed the time build up my patience with him, and finally decided to just keep him.
My parents had weenie dogs and i think that helped him acclimate better.
Anyway, my point is, i know how hard it is to just get fed up with the dog drama : ) don't give up, and don't feel bad! it's not your fault!!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Am so sorry Bruno didn't work out for you, but bless you for understanding that, and I can tell how much you so wanted it to work, especially since he was abused at such a young age.

However, please don't give up; the right dog is out there waiting for you!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Ruby

Oh, Janice! I never knew about Ruby and now I'm heartbroken! I have been mostly off the net for a million reasons and when I play catch-up I see this sad news. I am so, so sorry.
PLease accept my condolences and I understand about Bruno. Maybe it was still too soon and the next dog will be perfect for you.
Love,
Bevy and Fran

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sorry Bruno didn't work out, another rescue/shelter basset will be your new best friend someday......there are so many in need. BTW Ms. Ruby was a cutie, like your link picture.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I’m sorry to hear about you having to give back Bruno. I know how hard that can be first hand. It doesn’t take long for them to work their way into our hearts no matter how many “issues” they have. Before we rescued Lucy we took in Hank – they called him a “freeway throwaway”

A few months after we got him our daughter was walking up to the car with Hank in the back and out of the blue he went into attack mode on her. He had to be held down for our four hour ride back home. We tried for a couple weeks to find out what was wrong with him. For the couple weeks we were working with him when Kristina came home she had to ring the doorbell so I could put a lead on him before she came in. I had to block off the stairs up to her room and she had to let me know when she was coming down. I had friends stop by to see if this was just Kristina or anyone other than my husband and I that he would snap into this rage for and we couldn’t find anything we could pinpoint – he didn’t snap at everyone but would snap at boy, girl, young or old. The would sit on the couch and we would just “visit” just them glancing at him would be enough to set him off.

I know it wasn’t anything Kristina did to cause this behavior for a couple reasons. The first being she was taught from an early age respect for all animals. The other is even though she was part of the “pack” she really wasn’t. She was a high school senior that was extremely active in music of all kinds (it was her major in college) so if she wasn’t in school she would be in practice or performing for either Bank, Symphony, pit, jazz or anything else she found to get involved in. She left early in the morning and wouldn’t get home most days till very late.

Anyway, I had a pre-scheduled trip to Disney in Florida. I took Kristina since I can’t remember at the end of every school year so we could reconnect after the busy schedule she has. I was in constant contact with the rescue that I got Hank from and they were doing their best to give suggestions of things to try with him but nothing was working. At the same time of my trip my husband was going to be going up to our other house to spend time with his parents. His mother had Parkinson’s and I didn’t feel comfortable having Hank up there with his unpredictable behavior with Doe who was completely defenseless if something would have happened. I asked the rescue if they had somewhere Hank could go when Russ went up north. While we were both gone Hank went through numerous test and was finally diagnosed with rage syndrome and had to be put down. I know it sounds funny but I still miss that guy. If he could have lived in a bubble with just Russ, myself and Flash he would have been a completely happy dog.

Boy that was long winded “sorry :D” I just went into such detail to say that even after all we went through to say we didn’t give up on rescues – We were lucky to have them find Lucy for us and though she also came to us with a lot of issues, aggression being one of them I feel blessed to have her. I think it took her about five years to finally settle into our house and know she was completely safe and that she could trust us. Now after almost 10 years with us you wouldn’t even know it was the same dog.

The best of luck to you fining the perfect fit of a new furry friend to give a forever home to.

Jen~

1 - 8 of 8 Posts