Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again! It's been a while but we're back!

"We" being Beldin (if you remember His Grace) and of course me, his food-slave.

I am so glad to have found our way back - this is just a quick note to touch base and let you all (or those who may remember us anyway) know that we are still around.

I don't have internet from home so can only check in periodically for now anyway. But here's a quick nutshell as to what we've been doing the last while.

Not sure if you remember, but Mocha took sick - Addison's Disease (which this board helped to diagnose as the vets didn't seem to have a clue until, thanks to here, I suggested and they confirmed)

She was pretty severe and due to our situation we allowed her to be adopted by a family better suited to her needs. (at the time, they said she needed NO stress and I also have three kids as well as Beldin and 3 cats and two full time jobs at that time)

Since then, we have moved to rural New Brunswick. We bought 24 acres of land and have been working on building our own house.

At the moment while we are building we are living in a hunt cabin (which has been an adventure all on it's own). Beldin has been doing very well, although he was quite sorrowful for a while after Mocha was no longer with us.

I have some catching up to do around the forum, checking in to see who's all still here - I have seen a few names I still recognize from before - great to see you!

Hopefully next time I'll be able to upload some pictures and better details on what's what with us these days.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Yes, I remember you, but can't remember what name you used to post under.

I remembered you because of Mocha and Beldin! Sad but true, I tend to remember people by their dog's name rather than their own name!

New Brunswick is beautiful, and it sounds like you're having a real adventure building while you live in the cabin.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
LOL! I remember Mocha and Beldin but alas have forgotten your name! Do you ever hear how Mocha is doing?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Welcome back! I remember about Mocha also, I remember crying many tears at the tough decisions you had to make. Glad to hear things are on the "up". =)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I posted under Nipsie before as well... may have been Sephaar or CHarvie though, I forget honestly ... no offense taken about not remembering my name, but remembering me by my dogs... thus is the way of the "food slave" *lol*

My name is Christina.

Unfortunately, part of the conditions of the new home was that to make things less stressful for Mocha and the transition easier for her (also due to the emotions involved, etc) the vet thought it best they be the "middle men" ... I have enquired about Mocha and all they will tell me is that she took a while, but settled well in to her new home, that she responded well to medication, but she will need to take it easy basically for the rest of her life. She is very gentle and will be pampered.

We are all still adjusting and the kidlets and I still cry when we look through pictures and see the snaps of Mocha playing. -

I still have scars from the day she took sick too because at the time I was out washing mold off the exterior of a client's house when the kids called me to tell me Mocha was sick. I got the industrial bleach all down my arm and by the time I was able to get to the hospital for myself got a rather nasty chemical burn from my wrist up past my elbow ... it healed up alright but the scars are another reminder ...

Due in part to where we live now (out in the middle of nowhere) and with the coyote's etc we also recently decided to get another addition to our little family. ... Beldin is an absolute joy, but honestly not much in the way of a protector. A lot of times the kids and I are out there on our own and the soonest help could get to us in the event anything unfortunate happened is about 20 minutes or so.

Mitch now works for the local rural fire department and recieved from one of his coworkers a sheppard pup. (I think he's a cross) and he'll be 6 months old on the 7th. We named him "Farmer".

He and Beldin actually get along REALLY well and Beldin is acting a lot like a puppy again, romping and playing. It's good to see because for a while he was really despondant. We had initially agreed to take in the pup on a trial basis, if Beldin didn't take to him he wouldn't stay - period ... but so far it seems to be working out.

I was able to actually go see the mother of the pup and meet those owners as well as talk to the vet that they took their dogs to. He's been checked over for all sorts of things and hopefully we won't have to worry about another incident like with Mocha. That was hard enough.

Beldin loves it out here in the country. Going for rides in the truck, running in his own feild, chasing rabbits and birds. The one thing he hasn't been so sure about is the snow! We didn't get much back where we were in BC ... but on cold days he absolutely LOVES nothing better than turning in to a fur-puddle in front of the wood stove (there's nothing quite like wood heat).

I'm trying to get a portable usb so I can upload some pictures of Beldin and where we're at, etc

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
So glad you are back!!! I, too, remember Mocha and Beldin.

·
Registered
662 Posts
ahhh I was able to get in touch! I thought I did but wasn't sure. I found my old pword though and got back in under my original log in ... so I won't be using "Nipsie" anymore. Just thought I'd let you know.

A lot has happened here ... I'll be posting an actual update within the next few days, just in town at class for the moment and had some other things to wrap up. Just thought I'd let you know that yes, Nipsie = CHarvie ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts