Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never bought these, but I thought I'd pass it on. Local news had a story about, I added a CNN link below.
At least 13 dogs have died after being fed the top-selling pet treat in the country, owners and veterinarians have told CNN.
CNN news link
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Rusty & Stickes breeder warned me against these treats. The only treats she gives her Bassets is any product made by NYLABONE or an occassional pig ear made in either the US, Canada or Germany. I will listen to her advice.
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I am really on the fence about this. I have always given them to Belly but this is really scaring me. I actually save them for my petsitter to give him when I'm away ...for when she leaves him in the evening. Kind of special treat that he gets only when she visits. I'm thinking that is probably the worst way to give them to him now ...alone. I'll have to find something else for that purpose.

This is sad because he and other doggie friends of ours really love these things. I'm a safe Mom, though ...can't give him something this risky.

I wonder if I should switch to the ones for kitties. What do you guys think about that? they are small candy size things. They gave me two free packets with my last package for dogs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
I think the evidence needs to be evaluated objectively. 13 dogs have died, but there are literally millions of dogs eating these treats with no bad effects. Some factors that need to be considered are the general health of the dogs involved, what else they eat, the environment they live in, their age, amount of exercise, etc. I think you'd find the same percentage of humans dying from similar ailments that could be chalked up to age, diet, exercise (or the lack thereof), genetics, etc. While I sympathize with the owners who have lost their dogs or had their dogs become ill, I think it's a little premature for wholesale condemnation of the product. I think the odds are in favor of most dogs (99.999999% having no ill effects from Greenies.

Clink clink (my two cents)

Bryan
http://www.bryanwfields.com

[ February 15, 2006, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: Bryan W. Fields ]
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Ruby's first vet in MA said that they don't digest and can get caught in the intestine.

He said to only give treats (bones, chews etc) that are manufactured in the US. And to *never* buy pig ears from those open bins because there's no guarantee where they come from originally. He saw dogs which died because other countries put a preservative on that can be fatal. In the US, there's restrictions and ingredients are noted on the package.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Our Vet gave us a greenie to try after boarding Bessie but I had been warned by articles here and decided not to give it to her. I have found that unless I give her a chew with the hardness of diamonds she will chew right through them. I gave her a treat today called Jumbone for large dogs and in less than 10 min she had nearly ate the whole thing and I just dont think it was worth $3.50 or her getting a tummmy ache over. Maybe we should have called her "JAWS"!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
I did a story about these for my newspaper and I talked to a couple of vets, both of whom said they consider the treats safe. Then I talked to someone whose dog had died after eating one. I decided better safe than sorry and don't give them to George. He probably wouldn't like them anyway, if he knew they were for dogs. He's a people, you know.
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Well, we too are on the fence (and have over 100 of the things sitting in our pantry) and we have decided to give them away. Our concern is the actual passing of the greenies. Baxter will do a backflip for one them (hence why we buy in bulk!) But, I do and have noticed more frequently that there are big chunks of non-digested greenie in his BM's. I think we are playing russian roulette by continuing to give them to him because he does in fact "gulp" them down. When this first became an issue in the media we asked our vet and he said they were fine. And after the first few reports we too thought the amount of dogs not being harmed to the amount being harmed still made us feel comfortable, but, after watching the CNN clip and knowing Baxter gulps them down (even though we only give the petite size) we are playing with fire. Well, there goes a sizable investment but I love my dog too much. I am disgusted by the 5 million dollar lawsuit though. Oh well. Thanks for the clip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,557 Posts
I threw away about $30 worth of Greenies after a co-worker's dog swallowed a hunk of Greenie recently and almost had to have surgery to remove it.Her dog did finally pass it and was OK, but I just can't see taking a risk like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
My vet recommended no Greenies, so we don't give them to Rosie. She gulps other stuff so I think she'd break off big pieces and swallow them. Plus those things cost nearly $1.00 each which I think is outrageous.

If you do give them to your dogs though, I don't think bassets would qualify for the "petite" size...LOL. Their heads and mouths are probably equivalent to that of a large dog, so should probably get bigger ones so they'll chew it. Rosie will chew larger treats but definitely gulps smaller ones.

I don't know if the risk is significant or not. It's terrible that those poor dogs died, but how many dogs die from blockages due to other garbage they eat? Last night I caught Rosie eating one of the cat's catnip mice. I give her those cornstarch bones, bully sticks, etc., maybe blockages from that kind of stuff hasn't been reported because they're not as popular as Greenies?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top