Basset Hounds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my dog recently went in heat, she's four years old and i want her to have babies.

When is the proper time (after she enters heat) for her to have a successul breeding. I once left her for a week in a friend's house, but the she didn't get pregnant.

·
Super Moderator
5,042 Posts
Bassets frequently need "assistance".

They are also prone to c-sections, so make sure you have an emergency fund saved up.

They also need to be supervised 24/7 for 2-3 weeks after whelping, because they tend to lie on their pups and crush them, so make sure you are able to take the time off work and have someone to spell you when you need to sleep. You can lose a pup this way in five minutes.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I'm not about to put anybody off, who truly wants to get into breeding, starting a recognisably good bloodline. What I am dead against is anybody wanting to put their bitch in whelp just because they want puppies, and to perhaps give the kids a taste of the miracle of birth - which so often goes to the tragedy of death.

What does the breeder of your bitch think about this plan, bearing in mind she is getting up there in age, for a first litter? Is she a top quality Basset, with wins in the ring to prove her quality - does she have something positive to give back to the breed? Has the breeder advised you re a suitable stud dog, for her bloodlines? Not all lines work when put together - by a long way.

There is more (and yes, Bassets often need C.Sections which means the cost of one puppy, for starters) but suffice to say if you have to come here to ask when is the right time to mate, then my answer really has to be never - get her spayed in another few months so she doesn't risk developing a cancer like mammary cancer, overian or uterine cancer, or a pyometra.

ps. The time and cost involved in doing a litter properly has to be taken into account.

·
Super Moderator
1,136 Posts
Hard to gauge from one post, 'wanting babies' as to what your depth of knowledge is.
But IMHO, would never breed unless you have a mentor, a knowledge of Bassets which is beyond 99.99% of most pet owners, know the background of your dog & that of its' forebears, & that its' temperament, health & construction is a benefit to the gene pool.
You have a bank balance that will support you & your dog through any emergency because if things go wrong especially out of hours it's costly & I mean costly, have the time to be with your bitch & pups 24/7 for a number of weeks, prepared to give a life time guarantee that you'll be there for any of the pups that perhaps god for bid are returned or needing rehoming, remember pups are not carbon copies of your dog & there are lots out there looking for good homes without increasing the numbers.
Lastly I've always heard that the ' Book of the Bitch' is a must to read &, never leave you bitch in heat alone with another dog unsupervised, a tie is a tie & if one of the two is uncomfortable or had enough, damage to either could occur.

·
Super Moderator
1,136 Posts
When he is on heat, so that she will get pregnant
From previous questions your knowledge is 'limited', so would suggest you familiarise yourself with basic male (dog)/female (bitch) reproduction before playing mummy & daddy with the two dogs.
Is it half term somewhere?

Sorry reading back two separate posters, though no change to my response

1 - 9 of 9 Posts